Capitan's Necromunda

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time(ish) poster. Got back into the hobby after a 15 year absence due to a chance chat down the pub and started a little blog on dakka last year as a result. Got as far as the initial painting of my esher gang and then got sidetracked by other things, then stubbled across this website and the plethora of gems and I'm feeling all enthused again, so I thought I'd pick up where I left off, but here instead!

Originally I was an Orlock fan but I've been gathering all sorts of stuff over the last year or so and the first thing I picked on to paint was an esher gang. The colour scheme I went for was inspired by a cover of 'gang war' magazine featuring a couple of escher juves. I've always thought that the underhive is a dark, desperate & filthy place and I wanted to reflect that by my gang having a murky/dirty/rag-tag/pasty-faced look and I also wanted the weapons to have a battered/well-used look.

I never was a fan of using a gang or squad straight out of the box, so I got hold of a few extra models I thought would fit in and the plan is to try make all the hired guns female as well.

The leader is Baal from anima tactics, converted to wield a couple of chainswords. The non-standard heavy stubber is a model from the secrets of the third reich (I think that was what it was called…) with a head from a hasslefree mini (again, I think that was the foundry… it was a random ebay purchase). There's a native american, which is intended for use as a ratskin scout. I added a knife and lasgun to from the plastic goliath sprue but I'm not keen on this as it doesn't really look totally ratskin-y! Might be a good excuse to have a first ever attempt at using green stuff... The model with a hat and trenchcoat was also a hasslefree mini, I believe, and I'm using this as a bounty hunter until I find something that looks a bit more armed to the teeth (perhaps another target for the green stuff down the line…). Finally, the tall blonde is another anima tactics model, but I'm really not keen on this now as it doesn't really tie in with the look of all the others… Might give her the boot ;)

The bases are cast plastic/resin - yet another ebay purchase! They were really cheap at about £3 for 10 inc p&p. I'll add some more detail - cables, barbed wire, etc eventually.

So, this is the start I've made... I think my painting is better, despite the 15 year hiatus - but there's still vast room for improvement! Comments, critique and suggestions of other models that would fit in to this gang would be greatly received. I've got a few more ladies waiting to be painted but I'll try post some WIP pics as I go, instead of just posting the final mini's. Then it's on to the Orlocks…

group1_zps2fc1f74e.jpg

8up_zps19f2f032.jpg

2up3_zps39ba854e.jpg

2up1_zps6d60f70b.jpg

2up2_zps6c78347d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gorkamunda

Adeptus Ineptus
Staff member
Gorkamorka Warboss
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 11, 2012
Galdhøpiggen, Norway
Welcome to the forum (well at least for de-lurking;)! Your story seems to fit with a bunch of guys here, myself included (came back a year ago after 15 miniature free years).

Some great looking conversions you've got there! I love browsing 3rd party bit makers for the possibility of finding a great conversion option - it's always fun to play "guess the bit" as well (although I suck at it). Crisp, clean painting as well - love the yellow chainsword. Seems like you don't really need the black stripes after all!

Looking forward to more...

Rusty101

Gang Hero
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 1st Place
Sep 8, 2013
Leeds, UK
rusty-warriors.blogspot.com
Yep same here, 15(ish) year break. Welcome home ;D

Liking the clean lines and as Chico says crisp colours. Also some pretty cool models you've converted, great work!

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks chaps :)

Got a couple of quick question - I know it's not ideal, but can you green stuff onto a model you have already painted or is that a big no-no? I've never seen examples of anyone doing it, to my recollection.

Also, because I'm a bit of a completist and I can't bare to trash the lovely bulkheads in my original box set (OCD!), has anyone tried pushing them into clay and then filling the imprint with plaster?! I've seen more complex moulding methods but I wondered if this would work. I was thinking about cladding terrain with then, so I don't need them to be double-sided. If so, what sort of plaster would be best? Dental or something from B&Q? And is it paintable or does it need sealing?

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Supporter
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
I suppose you could push it into air drying clay but I don't think the detail capture would be particularly good. For a reasonable sized terrain push I would just just get some RTV silicone and make an open faced mould. It's easy to do and you can cast as many plaster ones as you like without damaging the mould. I'd always get a proper hard plaster too, something like Herculite or Crystacal. Others are just to soft and wouldn't stand up to rigorous handling. Plaster always needs sealed.

There's a mould making tutorial on this very site. I'll be updating it with some casting tutorials very soon.

Gorkamunda

Adeptus Ineptus
Staff member
Gorkamorka Warboss
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 11, 2012
Galdhøpiggen, Norway
I think you could greenstuff over paint just like on a bare model, but it would of course be harder to paint, and you have to use a brush on primer.

chitching

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Does the Bolter chick have a Bionic Boob? Loving the dual Chainsword model. And the (Orlock?) Heavy Stubber on the skinny chick looks funny, in a good way, of course!

Great colour scheme you've chosen, too. I had thought of saying you could use that chick as a female Ratskin Scout, but upon rereading, I notice you had already done that. Great way to tie in the Escher's views on males to even effect their hired guns!

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
Been slowly building scenery and painting minis over the last month or so again but thought I'd share this disgustingly cheap and easy idea for walkways that *I think* is an original idea…

ScreenShot2014-02-02at200656_zpsca353371.png

I had some angle bead left over from a couple of plastering/rendering jobs and I thought they'd be awesome for necromunda projects (namely legs for industrial structures - watch this space…). But then I thought: "What if I stamp on them?"

And, here's the results:

securedownload_zps559ea472.jpg

Might need tarting up a tad (got some dark metal spray for starters), but they are incredibly strong. The fine mesh version looks quite cool just sitting flush on top of the other type of angle bead. Plus, combining it with unstomped on angle bead is quite interesting too.

Anyway, two and a half meters of walkway for under two and a half quid can't be bad, can it?!

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
That is angle bead as well - something like thin coat angle bead I believe... Same sort of price too. If you are in the uk, b&q stock it - it's in the plastering section of their website.

radulykan

Gang Hero
Oct 24, 2013
Burton Latimer, Northants, UK
i am blaming you for the £30 i just spent in b&q! :D
saw your idea and figured maybe a fiver would be ok, some piping and meshes and a little bits organiser later and yeah, thats why i am not allowed in diy shops unsupervised ;D

Reactions: trollmeat

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
Just a couple of freshly painted minis to share - The first is a mini I was going to make into a bounty hunter (and still might), but I quite like the simplicity of it. Unsure whether to add a bolt pistol and holstered chainsword /shotgun to her back?

The 2nd is a scummer. Still sticking with the all female theme at the moment!

scumfront_zps0d7a91f7.jpg

scumback_zpsb44b762b.jpg

Finally plucked up the courage to have a go with the green stuff this week - going to try a ratskin cloak for the native american looking mini I think... Can I green stuff on top of the paint or do I need to scratch it off for it to adhere?

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Yak Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Really nice work adding the GW guns Capitan! The "bountyhunter" left arm begs to be drawing a long knife or something from a scabbard. If you go for chainswords, I'd look for a lithe one, a big clunky one (GW) might ruin it I think.

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
Been a bit lazy with the painting recently – saw the new comp and thought it would be good for focus, so here's my entry - a Pyromaniac Wyrd (female of course!)

securedownload.jpeg

And grey scaled (probably went a bit mental with the Agrax...)

securedownload-1.jpeg

So two weeks to paint 'er up. Should be doable…

Reactions: trollmeat