Necromunda Captain's Log

Schluter (plastic angle forms for tile work) makes amazing railings. You can just glue chunks of debris to it to bulk cover from Partial to Full. Catwalks are suicide without cover.
I tried to get a nice mix of catwalks with cover and ones without, I kinda like that exposed feeling, I love that scene from enemy at the gate where they have to dive across the opening! The big catwalk pictured is the longest and most 'open'. I do think handrails look cool tho, and if I can find some suitable confectionery packaging I might consider adding them:)

Am I the only one who when they read the title of this thread ... hears William Shatners voice??
The underhive, the final frontier.
These are the voyages of captain dangerous,
His mission,
To explore decayed old domes,
to seek out old archeotech and new valuable resources,
To boldly go where no imperial agent has gone before.....
:D

I hear Zapp Brannigan.

Zapp: Captains log, stardate... uhh...
Kiff: <sigh> April fourteenth!
Zapp: April fourteenth. Point five.
Leela leela leela!:D
I read somewhere that the idea behind zapp was that it's what they would think Captain Kirk would be like playing William shatner! I absolutely love zapp, Put it this way, I'm more zapp than Kirk :) so I suppose I'm playing a version of me, playing a version of William shatner, playing a version of Kirk, playing a version of zapp, if you can get your head around that!!!? :)
Thanks for the painting input, I was totally going to monochrome the crap out of it, just so it would blend with me brand new gaming mat, but you've inspired me to chuck some colour at it, I think some of the other lads would dig that type of style also. :)
Glad you like my(?:p) design, the 45 degree catwalks totally came about by accident, I had a giant pile of the corroded tiles thinking, adding all these to the buildings is going to be a giant pain in the butt, when all of a sudden, I had an Indiana Jones moment (well, it was more like the goonies!), and it just sort of happened! Im almost certain someone somewhere has already thought of it before me, but in this instance I can honestly say it was my own! :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I was able to read that. Only just finished my coffee...

Having a major colour on each large structure really helps when you're talking about the game too. Something like "I've moved my heavy up to the top of the red tower" or "My combat team is trudging along the green factory". I find that if you make the base (where appropriate) match the table/mat you use then it all fits well anyway.

Something I'm thinking for my table is to have most of the open structures on concrete blocks that anchor them down to the table. Not actual concrete mind you, just modelled. That way you don't have a big sheet of mdf or whatever to blend in to the table. Instead it really looks like the watch tower, pumping station or whatever is installed down on the table. Classic big square building and ruins don't suit this well due to the construction but stuff like catwalks, storage tanks and things do. Besides, you can hide the ruin base with lots more ruinous, uh, ruined stuff... that was better in my head.

I'm pretty sure I was able to read that. Only just finished my coffee...

Having a major colour on each large structure really helps when you're talking about the game too. Something like "I've moved my heavy up to the top of the red tower" or "My combat team is trudging along the green factory". I find that if you make the base (where appropriate) match the table/mat you use then it all fits well anyway.

Something I'm thinking for my table is to have most of the open structures on concrete blocks that anchor them down to the table. Not actual concrete mind you, just modelled. That way you don't have a big sheet of mdf or whatever to blend in to the table. Instead it really looks like the watch tower, pumping station or whatever is installed down on the table. Classic big square building and ruins don't suit this well due to the construction but stuff like catwalks, storage tanks and things do. Besides, you can hide the ruin base with lots more ruinous, uh, ruined stuff... that was better in my head.
:) Iv just added some paragraphing, hope that makes it abit more legible? I sometimes get carried away, especially when I love the topic, it's so good talking to likeminded people! :)
I really like your idea of colour coding, iv got multiples of most the buildings so this will work perfectly! Eventually I'm going to be making some centre piece terrain to go with my more favoured gangs, and I'll probibly be basing them just to give them a more solid appearance. Thanks for the tips! :)
My go to word for ruinous ruined stuff is debris, it's probibly wrong, but nobody has corrected me yet :LOL:

Captains log, hivedate... Uhh...
Mr strobe: <sigh> November twentyseventh!
November twentyseventh. Point five.
:p
Here is my version of the 'gateway' hope you all enjoy
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Besides the imperialis tiles, the main body is just sections of plasticard and the details are the pipe from the mechanicum terrain set, spare doors from a rhino and all the plastic strips are from a model railway platform. Here are some comparison shots next to the original for size
image.jpg
image.jpg

Overall I'm quite happy how it has turned out, the only part I found tricky was trying to get the angle right on the back half, my usual tactic of tracing around the original just didn't work due to the size increase. This next photo shows the inspiration behind adding the block sections
image.jpg

For me this terrain was, for many years, the worlds of the 40th millennium, I still remember pushing it from the card sheet back when you could buy it from Argos for £34.50! *sigh*
But alas, if I were to make this piece again, I would probibly take more time measuring before trying to chop anything (you can see where iv patched one side up due to it being about 3 mils too short), and I'm still in two minds about blocking the windows up on the sides (this is the only building iv made where you can't see the reverse side of the tiles). And Iv just noticed I still have to run a plastic stip along the bottom back edge. Hope you like it?
Up next... Terrain objectives/points of interest

Despite not beeing sure about the iconography I like the general construction. It's still very symetrical and as the pipe doesn't really disturb that, I'd like to even encourage you to be a little wilder adding wires, maybe guitar strings, or some smaller ducts done with something like cakepop sticks to make it more technical, if that does make any sense. Something more giving an illusion it has a function in an environment like Necromunda, assuming it is for the game. Rivets are always nice to break up flat areas.
Thinking from my own view in your position, I would want to tweak the stones. I don't know if you're going to blend them in somehow, but they still appear a bit out of place to me. It's not a general problem of the design, it's more like my gut says it wouldn't be built in this position. Maybe it's because of the sheets your using and these dictate how you apply them. I don't know. I think I would build them at a right angle in the back and then start the tilted wall above. That way it is possible to blend two sheets together like it is an actual corner made from real rows of stones. If it wasn't for the sheets, you could also continue the angle of the rear wall by building a pyramid structure, with the above row of stones a little more towards the building while remaining blocks at a right angle to the ground. If that would work out, I would like it a lot more.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous
Looking really good Capt.

I 2nd what @KRVSH says about sticking odd bits of wire and stuff on. Perhaps put some sort of frame around the door to stop it looking like it's just stuck on. And maybe a little platform beneath the door with a ladder to the right for access?

This is a nice little build and I may well steal your idea for our clubs terrain. ;)

Love your critique KRVSH! I totally get it needs more detail and tidying up, thanks for the ideas! The rhino hatches only happened because of the big empty spaces, so it's nice to have my suspicions confirmed. The stonework is meant as an archetectual detail that I'll be adding to all the buildings, the thought behind it being, just as the imperium is a highly technological society deep rooted in superstition, myth and legend, I wanted to convey some kind of connection between the grimdark technological style and the medieval culture that encapsulates it. I know it's probibly not in keeping with the original necromunda terrain, I just think it gives abit contrast and is in keeping with the skirting borders present on all the imperialis tiles. Thanks again, this is why I love yaktribe, I totally would have just painted it up without looking twice, I'll be sure to post more pics once iv tweeked it, hope you like mkII :)

Reactions: KRVSH
Cheers azzabat! Really love your ladder idea, it would totally make the door look like it had purpose, like a maintenance hatch or something!
Steal away my friend, I don't think it is technically stealing anyway, if what is stolen was stolen in the first place! :p
(Thats my second thievery joke today, I'm totally never going to get invited for a game!:D)

The rhino hatches only happened because of the big empty spaces, so it's nice to have my suspicions confirmed.
You're welcome. I think empty spaces aren't a problem in general. I've been looking at industrial buildings from my area more closely when starting plans for my own Necro buildings. Often form follows function with these and if it's a silo tower for example there will be huge areas of boredom. Here's where the interpretation kicks in. Just as you suggested with the stonework, which I think is a good idea per se, Necromunda is supposed to be buildings upon buildings and storeys upon storeys involving collapsing of certain areas and for sure repurposing of existing structures. That gives a lot of freedom to make buildings a lot more interesting by having them telling a tale of something breaking and beeing redesigned and rebuild or patched up over time. The original GW designs indicate how far these can be taken out of the box and I don't see any reason to not pick up there and come up with a unique interpretation of your own. Looking foreward to see what you come up with.

I find that big spaces can be well managed with paint. A little dribble of run off or some rust here and there and you've solves the big open space issue. Also things like metal strapping, rivets, cracked concrete can give some visual detail.

Consider that much like in painting miniatures you are attempting to create contrast on the table with the terrain. The contrast enables people to pick out the visually interesting parts and details. You can create contrast with texture, colour and shade so there are lots of options. Having smooth sections can help break a building or terrain piece up from other parts.

GW terrain (the official stuff) usually suffers from over ornamentation making the pieces so busy it is hard to actually see what is there. Now that I think about it often their models do too. Anyway, if you're heavily in the GW brand then sometimes it is hard to look outside and see there are lots of big flat surfaces around. Sometimes less is more.

Cool thread, looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Likewise savvyjay! I think the fact that one of your mutants literally made me feel abit sick is total testament you are doing it right :p and I love how your differnt groups of minis all have there own unique flavour! can't wait to see more!

Reactions: scavvyjay
You're welcome. I think empty spaces aren't a problem in general. I've been looking at industrial buildings from my area more closely when starting plans for my own Necro buildings. Often form follows function with these and if it's a silo tower for example there will be huge areas of boredom. Here's where the interpretation kicks in. Just as you suggested with the stonework, which I think is a good idea per se, Necromunda is supposed to be buildings upon buildings and storeys upon storeys involving collapsing of certain areas and for sure repurposing of existing structures. That gives a lot of freedom to make buildings a lot more interesting by having them telling a tale of something breaking and beeing redesigned and rebuild or patched up over time. The original GW designs indicate how far these can be taken out of the box and I don't see any reason to not pick up there and come up with a unique interpretation of your own. Looking foreward to see what you come up with.
Lovin your feedback mate! love your understanding of the underhive! I'm reading your thread today so I wouldn't be surprised if you have a list of likes from me by tonight! :)

I find that big spaces can be well managed with paint. A little dribble of run off or some rust here and there and you've solves the big open space issue. Also things like metal strapping, rivets, cracked concrete can give some visual detail.

Consider that much like in painting miniatures you are attempting to create contrast on the table with the terrain. The contrast enables people to pick out the visually interesting parts and details. You can create contrast with texture, colour and shade so there are lots of options. Having smooth sections can help break a building or terrain piece up from other parts.

GW terrain (the official stuff) usually suffers from over ornamentation making the pieces so busy it is hard to actually see what is there. Now that I think about it often their models do too. Anyway, if you're heavily in the GW brand then sometimes it is hard to look outside and see there are lots of big flat surfaces around. Sometimes less is more.
Thank you Mr strobe!
I totally agree with you and I love your solutions! What you are saying about contrast and texture is totally what I'm trying to achieve with my bigger buildings, I love the imperialis tiles but when you see them side by side (especially in massive buildings) the details and features all end up getting visually mushed up so the points of interest just don't stand out! They just don't pop you might say.
But my original idea was that I would have the gw tile in the middle of a wall section with half size plasticard tiles either side, but when I worked out how much extra time and effort it would take, I think what iv gone for is a decent compromise.
But for the gateway, when I made it I thought the big pipe would be enough to give it a little interest, but when I looked I just wasn't happy as I think as a game objective it just didn't have enough weight.
I think you will like what I have in store next, first mate strobe :p