NCE Captured gangers and leveling

Should captured gangers level up and gain escape artist?

• Yes, freedom for all. It’s pretty random already and seems fair

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • No capture them and put them into the mines

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I like voting and slavegangs should not be a thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Captured gangers shouldn’t level up

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
I’m trying to run a slave gang due to mine workings

So I captured a juve.

The guy I’m playing then gets to level up his gangers including the juve who levels twice due to it being a juve and me giving a 5+ xp rating due to gang rating.

Juve levels up, rolls on stealth and gets escape artist.

I let the juve go as it’s assumed she escape

Was that the right thing to do in the future?

Reactions: spafe and Malo

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Wow now that's a rare occurrence. I think you played it well. If I was the capturing gang I'd also let them ago assuming they escaped.

Reactions: spafe

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
Totally narrative and awesome! Back in the nineties when anybody leveled (in our campaign) if they did something note worthy in the game we let you pick an appropriate skill for the special thing. This is exactly the sort of note worthy thing where we'd let him use the skill immediately it is how he found out he has the right stuff!

Reactions: Deleted member 9968

ImOutside

Juve
Jul 4, 2015
I had a similar thing. Captured a leader who just leveled. He tried to roll on stealth for Escape Artist and failed. The group was however of the opinion that he would get away if he got the skill.

Domino

Gang Champion
Jul 16, 2014
Wyke Road, Weymouth, Dorset
Interesting.
From a rules and narrative view I would say allow it.
Any Gang member who takes part in the battle gains experience and can gain skills through this. In the case you posit, the gang member just puts a lot of effort into and succeeds in escaping.

Reactions: Stoof and spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
From a strictly rules as written interpretation... it will depend on what happens.

I believe the injury rolls are made, then captive trading happens, then price is set for ransom, if not paid, rescue attempt can be made. This is where it gets interesting. If no rescue is to be attempted, the captive is sold/sent to mines/whatever, and struck from the roster. If a rescue attempt is to be made, you move onto the experience phase (as per finishing the post battle sequence for the game in which the captive got caught), at which point they can level up, gain the escape artist skill and be free. If they didnt get free though, then your gang is committed to playing a rescue mission to try and get them back.

This is strictly Rules as written (as I understand it of course, might well have mis read something).

Reactions: ImOutside and Stoof

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
Thanks for everyone commenting on this.

good to know the order in which the post game things are determined as it usualy doesn’t matter as long as it’s done before the next match.

Ah well I’ll just have to focus on capturing more people who can’t escape in future.

We’d already decided for a rescue mission so it’s not a big deal for rules as written but I’ll remember that for next time a Escher or delaque juves captured and they have a few level ups going for them, best to ransom them before they level.

Though considering I really want slaves I’d never let them go without a fight!

Reactions: spafe

Domino

Gang Champion
Jul 16, 2014
Wyke Road, Weymouth, Dorset
I've had the exact situation occur in one of my games. I released the Juve. They learned how to escape in a practical exercise!
I like this idea. He gets the skill, but must sneak past the guards and physically escape.
If the player declares that he/she will try and rescue the captured ganger(s), then you could have a very cinematic game of the rescuers rushing in whilst the escape has already started.

Reactions: spafe and cronevald

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
The wording in the current NCE is:
The status of a captured fighter must be resolved before or immediately following the next time the two gangs fight each other.
This would imply that the post-battle sequence (including advances) happens as normal even if no rescue attempt is declared, since this must happen before the two gangs can face each other again. If at that point the captured fighter becomes an escape artist, then I should think they automatically escape.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Ah Thank you @undertaker , you allow me to be lazy and not check what updates have occurred in our sacred tome... :p

So it is as I said above, except that you will get to level up even if you don't rescue... meaning you will always get a chance to level up before agreeing to a ransom price.