• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

Necromunda Cardyfreak's Necromunda plog

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
I like that you’ve gone pale instead of dark or bright. Looking good!
Thanks man. It’s ended up pretty dusty looking and I’m okay with that. It’s more through chance than design, but I think the more muted tones will help make my relatively bright paint jobs on my models stand out more. Can’t wait to get a game in on it!

Reactions: Punktaku

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Thanks man. It’s ended up pretty dusty looking and I’m okay with that. It’s more through chance than design, but I think the more muted tones will help make my relatively bright paint jobs on my models stand out more. Can’t wait to get a game in on it!
Then it’s perfect! Hunting for models in pics is annoying. Too many have their lovely models match their lovely tables, so they’re lost in the pics.

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Looking great! I tend to stipple a brown over those posters so that they look more part of the wall, nothing mad just round the edges etc.

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
Looking great! I tend to stipple a brown over those posters so that they look more part of the wall, nothing mad just round the edges etc.
I’ll do that, I put some posters on and stuck some wash or varnish or something on them and totally ruined them 😂 after that I decided I wouldn’t weather them, but this sounds like the way to do it. I’ve never done anything like this so I’m still learning!

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I usually put posters up with a thinned pva, then dab a bit of the wash I've used on the rest of the building on there. Get some streaks and tie them in nicely with the rest. But you might not have used a wash on the walls, they've got a nice dusty appearance.

Reactions: cardyfreak

Greenthumb

Ganger
Jan 28, 2018
Manchester
Looking really nice cardyfreak. How many sets of dark uprising terrain did you use to make this hive of yours. I've been looking at it to chop up and adapt to my own stuff but I'm still a bit stuck how far one box would get me. 🤔
They look really good though. Love the grime details and posters. Underhive essentials. 👏

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
I usually put posters up with a thinned pva, then dab a bit of the wash I've used on the rest of the building on there. Get some streaks and tie them in nicely with the rest. But you might not have used a wash on the walls, they've got a nice dusty appearance.
Thanks for the tips, I’ll give it all a go. I did wash the walls but I sprayed them with water first so most of it ran down the pieces.
Looking really nice cardyfreak. How many sets of dark uprising terrain did you use to make this hive of yours. I've been looking at it to chop up and adapt to my own stuff but I'm still a bit stuck how far one box would get me. 🤔
They look really good though. Love the grime details and posters. Underhive essentials. 👏
This is three sets, I’ve got another three to do. Having the platforms done spreads the wall pieces out more and will give you more utility. One set will give a decent one-floor set up I reckon. But the higher you want to go, the more sets you’re gonna need.

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
Got this lot whipped up over the last two days. Got five tiles done yesterday and finished detailing the platforms and tiles, and got four plasma generators done. Set up some of the terrain, I’ve got way more in the box. I need to chill the f**k out with this shit 😂

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
I like everything very much. Miniatures, gangs and board. The painting too. And your Forge Tyrant is awesome.

By the way, I can see how much and what work I have to do.
I have roughly the same terrain. Partly the same hired guns.
It’s a fucking mountain mate 😂

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
Yes, I suspect and also fear it and I also feel a little blown away at the thought of it.
But my fault, I didn't want it any other way ;-) But it's OK.
The terrain has been the longest haul for me. I’ve had most of it for a year or so but hadn’t done anything with it so I resolved to get some painted. I set a lot of the walls and columns up last summer and got a bit of paint on it but it sat for months unpainted. Then I just had a spurt of desire to finish it, got my stuff laid out on the dining table so I could crack on for a few days uninterrupted, and hammered away at it. The tiles were probably the easiest, you can easily get them done in a few hours. The walls and columns took me a bit longer but that’s cos I fannied on with them putting more detail in than is strictly necessary. But I think I had two or three good days worth of painting to get nine tiles and three sets of Mortalis terrain done. A cheap airbrush will more than pay for itself to accomplish this!
When I’m painting a gang or something, I’ve been trying to batch paint them to get them done fairly quickly. After the same colours over and over, I like to paint a few of the special characters to paint some bloody different colours or to try some new techniques or something. But I try to look at them as a bonus for slogging through hordes of minions and I’ve found that I’m getting through them quite nicely. In fact, I think I only have a few characters left to do. The two escher bounty hunters, the corpse grinder dude, the Delaque doctor bloke, the slopper, the squat ammo-jack, and Kal and Scabbs. And the new Cawdor bloke. Oh and Slate Merdena. But I’m doing Orlocks after the Enforcers so I’ll do him then.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
Thanks for sharing in detail.

I will orientate myself on it. At the moment I'm just waiting for it to get warmer because then I can prime outside on the balcony.
Same with the airbrush. I recently got myself a cheap one and think that should make the assembly-line work on the terrain easier.
For me, progress is always only slow, but I am obviously on the right track. And it was good for me to read your method.

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
Here’s the finished scum!
6235C92F-FE08-475F-BA7E-AA18CC50A2BE.jpeg

44F855BB-DCC1-4311-AE6D-25E6D9510A6C.jpeg