N18 Cawdor devout masses and team size in campaign

Dec 23, 2022
Howdy folks!

Question about cawdor in campaign play, i have played them twice recently and both times they have been able to bring triple the gang size i have due to scenario and gang selection etc, is there some way to work around this? Devout masses means they can bring all the extra fighters, and when I start with a random 5 vs cawdor starting with custom 10 (meaning he can bring his entire 16 strong gang or more) it makes the game impossible for the gang with the smaller team size.

Dont get me wrong i tried my best to do some damage before cawdor won the objective but we were just wondering what other peoples opinions were!

Unless im recalling rule wrong, ‘devout masses’ rule should only allow for a max of 4+ fighters (1x Ganger, d3 juves) on top of any scenario determined gang size? The only way to increase above this would be with a Tactics card (the House of Faith specific one allows a futher 3x juves I think?)

So 14 max (excluding tactics cards), not 16.

But yes, that is a challenge early campaign, not least because even if the juves are junk, it is still much harder to force a bottle roll as you have to take out at least 8 of their fighters, which in your example is almost double your starting gang size!

But Necromunda is Necromunda… losing the battle doesn’t always mean you come out with nothing.

Path of the damned let's them bring in extra fighters using faith too.

I just think of it as a target rich environment. I love mowing down Cawdor. So satisfying. Just try not to get set on fire.

Reactions: SirWalterManny
Howdy folks!

Question about cawdor in campaign play, i have played them twice recently and both times they have been able to bring triple the gang size i have due to scenario and gang selection etc, is there some way to work around this? Devout masses means they can bring all the extra fighters, and when I start with a random 5 vs cawdor starting with custom 10 (meaning he can bring his entire 16 strong gang or more) it makes the game impossible for the gang with the smaller team size.

Dont get me wrong i tried my best to do some damage before cawdor won the objective but we were just wondering what other peoples opinions were!
That particular mission is a bit of a kick in the nards though.

Did you get reinforcements at all?

devout masses only givea a maximum of 4 fighters , 1 ganger(if you start with a ganger) and d3 bonepickers(if you start with a bonepicker) and only if they are part of the full gang.

I think you ended up in a worst case scenario against Cawdor with an already unfavourable balance between attacker/defender being made worse by unwashed masses.

Typically masses matters more in low model count games, an extra 2-3 bodies (the average) in a custom (10) situation is less of a concern than in a Random (1+D3) so keep that in mind when choosing scenarios.

Other than that, the more bodies the enemy has on the table the harder it is to keep them all in cover, use templates and bully bad movement / poor positioning to eliminate the advantage as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Stompzilla