N18 Charge targets?

Obeee03

Feb 9, 2018
Oswego, IL
So from what I've read, you make the charge action but you don't need to see a model to charge em as long as you're within the distance.
Is this correct? Also if you fail to make a distance without having an announced target can you move then in any direction?

Lachi

Ganger
May 6, 2013
Cologne, Germany
I think the general consensur is that you do not need to see the target. However, the section on measuring distances states that after declaring your action, before measuring distances, you also need to declare all involved fighters. Hence, I think, you need to nominate a target for a charge.

Reactions: Thorgor

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
What Lachi said.
Also, when charging, you need to use the "shortest route possible" (presumably towards the target) and must move the whole M+D3" if you can't make it to b2b contact (stopping 1" away from any enemy fighter as usual — cf. Rulebook p61). In other words, you don't have a choice as to where your fighter will end up.

MrAndersson

Ganger
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
The way I read the rules for movement, you need to declare how you intend to move before putting down the measuring tape. This is true for both charges and regular move actions. So you don't nominate a target, but rather a route to take.

Edit:
Movement - Moving models, third paragraph:
"All Move actions must be declared before any measuring is carried out."

The rules for a charge does say that it "should take the shortest route possible", but it doesn't mention any model being targeted by the charge.

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
There are many situations where "shortest route" is not realistic. For example jumping over pitfalls instead of taking a longer safer route. Surely charge is not nerfed to suicidal levels!!! I do not accept unfair penalties to charging or close combat!!!

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
The rules for a charge does say that it "should take the shortest route possible", but it doesn't mention any model being targeted by the charge.
It's hidden in the "measuring distances" rules (p49) but the rules state that you must "declare the action and nominate any other fighters involved" before measuring distances.
A few rules like Fearsome also use a wording like "a Charge action that would result in [the fighter] making one or more close combat attacks against [another fighter]" that only makes sense if the "target" of a charge is declared.

There are many situations where "shortest route" is not realistic. For example jumping over pitfalls instead of taking a longer safer route. Surely charge is not nerfed to suicidal levels!!! I do not accept unfair penalties to charging or close combat!!!
Nah, the writers are just bad at their job. In case a safer but longer route exists, the player should be given a choice between the two routes (before distance is measured and the D3 is rolled, of course)

Reactions: TopsyKretts