N18 Charging Mechanics

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
@Fireborn check the movement section.

THE 1" RULE

Fighters cannot move to within 1" of any enemy fighter during their activation, unless that enemy fighter is Prone and Seriously Injured. The only exception to this rule is when a Standing and Active fighter makes a Charge (Double) action, in which case they may move within 1" of one or more enemy fighters, provided that they end their movement in base to base contact with one or more enemy fighters. If a fighter making a Charge (Double) action has sufficient movement to get within 1" of an enemy fighter but does not have sufficient movement to make it into base to base contact with and Engage the enemy fighter, they must stop moving 1" away.

Fireborn

Ganger
Tribe Council
Sep 9, 2019
Festus
@Fireborn check the movement section.
I do understand that this is not RAW. RAW is simplistic and leaves a lot of questions unanswered. you guys would not be having the conversation if the rules "worked" all the time and where clear in every situation. Just a giving an idea if peoples play groups are struggling and unhappy with the results.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
yes, but that's the case for shooting/close combat (imo) where you have to nominate a target and then measure distances.
For example you charge with a versatile, reach a point and when you want to make close combat attacks - you nominate an enemy fighter and measure if you are within 3" to fight.
My point is that charge is a standard move with extra rules. And in standard move you do not nominate the fighter target.

It works for charging, fighting and shooting.

There are actually specific rules that trigger when you select the target of the charge but occur prior to the fighter moving. Fearsome is an example of this where if you declare the charge but fail the willpower test the charger cannot move and their activation ends immediately.

You also can’t technically measure out a distance before you choose where to move your fighter using a normal move. You are meant to declare that you are moving a fighter from here to there, via whatever path you think best, and then measure that you have the movement value to actually make it. Now no one in their right mind actually plays like that and even the rules (which state once something is measured the decision is final) also allude to changing ones mind after measuring movement distance by making best use of cover if you don’t have the movement.

It’s an extremely poorly worded and contradictory rulebook for something as core to the game as movement and measurement.

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
You also can’t technically measure out a distance before you choose where to move your fighter using a normal move. You are meant to declare that you are moving a fighter from here to there, via whatever path you think best, and then measure that you have the movement value to actually make it. Now no one in their right mind actually plays like that and even the rules (which state once something is measured the decision is final) also allude to changing ones mind after measuring movement distance by making best use of cover if you don’t have the movement.
So much this. I've yet to see a single battlereport or any group that plays movement RAW. Even most hardcore "by the book" arbitrators I've talked with do not play it RAW and instead declare action-movement then measure around to select better path.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I roughly follow the rules.
I'll declare the direction or point I'm moving to, then measure and move.
Sometimes I'll fall short, but in those cases I say "welp, it's declared now", then either live with it or use my second action to move again.

It's not that hard or arduous to do.

Apr 12, 2018
Brisbane QLD, Australia
We have started using the if the charging model moves into inch of a enemy fighter. they must then move directly to that enemy fighters.
this mostly just prevents the charging right past fighters. but if there is a way to take enemies flank because your close and they are in an open room you can get the "backstab".
This is a great way to think about it

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I think the whole point of having to take the shortest path is precisely to stop people running around like that.
Because it is a bit silly, why are they just standing they just watching you run around behind them and stab them in the back?