N18 Chem Delivery and Armor

VikToLive

Sep 4, 2019
Indianapolis
I'm relatively new to the new Munda, so this may be a pretty basic question, but I wanted to make sure before I spend the credIts.

The rules for armor saves state that you get a save if an attack causes a wound, or causes the fighter to roll an injury die (like in the case of a toxin weapon). Chem darts and other weapons with the Chem Delivery rule do neither. Does a target of a chem dart get an armor save? Strictly RAW, it looks to me like they don't.

Reactions: Thorgor

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
RAW they don't, RAI they do (for needle weapons at least, if they ever come up with a gas-based way to deliver the chem, then this one should ignore armour).
Toxin had the same problem in N17, ignoring armour because of an oversight like that. They patched it in N18 by adding the "causes the fighter to roll an injury dice" bit and changing what Toxin does. But time flows like a sump river, and history repeats...

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Any idea if, RAI, a chemsynth is supposed to work for Chem Delivery?
It's a tricky one. When the rules for Chemsynth were written, Chem Delivery didn't exist yet, not even as a concept probably, so I'd say it was not intended for Chemsynth to work with Chem Delivery, and I don't think they considered the interaction when writing the rules for Chem Delivery.

Now, do I personally think that Chemsynth should work with Chem Delivery? Yes, absolutely. Chem Delivery is the fun, quirky cousin of the more lethally efficient Toxin (you need to purchase the drugs on top of the weapon and it suffers from the "why wouldn't you just kill the target" syndrome), so I'd rather Toxin doesn't become the obviously better choice as soon as you purchase a Chemsynth.

Reactions: spafe and VikToLive