N18 Close Combat and Terrifying skill

furios

Apr 27, 2021
Nice France
Hi everyone,

Yesterday we encounter some question about the terrifying skill from masks of the corpse grinder cult.

I will resume our 2 questions and how we plays them. We are looking for an answer if we played well or not.

First situation: A ganger charged my Butcher. After his movement, we do the willpower check from terifyiong skill in order to verify he can attack. He failed the check so no attack for him and end of his activation.
As the fight basic action has been cancelled, we decide that the butcher cannot do reaction attack.

Second situation:

The butcher charge a ganger: no test for the ganger so he can do his reaction attack.

Do you agree that

• If a corpse grinder member with a mask charge the mask has no effect?
  • When the fight basic action is cancel, the corpse grinder member cannot make reaction attack

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Has it ever been officially stated wether or not one can shoot after their first "shoot" action has been cancelled? Like instead of Aim+Shoot, I do a Shoot action, so I can have another attempt at Willpower check should I fail the first. It is topic related because the same applies to "Fight".

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
That seems to be the concesus yeah. You lose 1 action, but you haven't spent your Shoot/Fight (Basic) action. That's also more interesting balance-wise.

Reactions: JayTee and furios

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
One of the cards or skills in the Escher House of Blades book has a similar effect as the CGC mask, and it explicitly states that the action can be taken again. I took this as a soft errata and can see no reasonable explanation why it wouldn’t also apply to the CGC.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
House of Blades (Escher) does not mention 'Terrifying' at all. But it similar mechanics:

Banshee Wall (Betti): Pass a Willpower check or only make a single action during the activation.
Queen of the Hive (Tactics): Pass a Willpower check to target the Leader, can target someone else if failed.

Anyway, I believe Terrifying was updated, but don't remember where. It may have been a soft errata.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Isn't that Fearsome/in regards to charging?
That's because the Devs assumed a double action is your entire activation, but obviously forgot that ways to get 3+ actions exist.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
House of Faith:
Klovis has the Fearsome Reputation special rule, basically the same as Terrifying.
Divine Avatar (Tactics) gives Terrifying.

The quote from JawRippa says that the action ends immediately, the fighter can still continue spending any remaining actions.