N18 Collected Errors/Typos in Book of Outlands (Nomads & Squats)

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
6,310
6,577
193
Norway
Sounds like an oversight. It is common for rules writers to not be aware of the full extent of the rules.
 

Matt Spencer

Ganger
Oct 4, 2016
117
105
88
Nottingham
Not sure if it's an error, but it's a bit vague as to whether a fighter is pinned when taking a hit from the exhausts of a Gas Promethium Engine. Body Spikes specifies "This attack does not pin them" and Wheel Scythes specifies "if they are a fighter they are Pinned", but there's no mention of pinning in the description of Gas Promethium Engine. It functions more like Wheel Scythes, but I don't know if that means it should pin (because Wheel Scythes do) or shouldn't (because the book feels the need to clarify that Wheel Scythes do, as though it's an exception).

I guess RAW it doesn't pin (until I saw the description of Body Spikes I was confident that was the right interpretation).
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
6,310
6,577
193
Norway
Someone alerted me that the Ironhead Heavy Flamer got 1 point reduced Ammo. This is the only (?) Ironhead weapon to have its profile modified other than the standard Rapid Fire (+1) (aka Firestorm for template weapons). So my dream of streamlining Ironhead that way is shattered. 😫
 

Jam Warrior

Gang Champion
Jul 28, 2014
277
438
63
Andover, UK
An interesting error just surfaced on Facebook. RAW the Sky Mantle gives you hidden every turn for the rest of the game once used because the copy/paste of the Pitch Black rules into Hidden/Revealed rules says that once you have the Revealed condition you automatically become Hidden again at the end of the round. Clearly not the intent.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: TopsyKretts

JayTee

Ganger
Jun 14, 2015
243
465
63
Not sure we can say for sure that isn't the intent, if it was a "hide for the rest of this turn" effect that would be frankly utterly shit as you're trading your entire activation for not being shot at.

Besides, the restriction that it goes away when you move or shoot means it has to be for more than the remaining turn. Given that there is no time restriction on the effect, it has to be intended that it is permanent.

Is this balanced? Unsure, not played AWN enough to judge
 
  • Like
Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
6,310
6,577
193
Norway
Good point. And to add to it, trading the entire activation to hopefully not be shot at as you're not even guaranteed due to certain ways to circumvent hidden?
 

Jam Warrior

Gang Champion
Jul 28, 2014
277
438
63
Andover, UK
Not sure we can say for sure that isn't the intent, if it was a "hide for the rest of this turn" effect that would be frankly utterly shit as you're trading your entire activation for not being shot at.

Besides, the restriction that it goes away when you move or shoot means it has to be for more than the remaining turn. Given that there is no time restriction on the effect, it has to be intended that it is permanent.

Is this balanced? Unsure, not played AWN enough to judge

? It’s not a hide for the rest of the turn effect. It’s a hide until reveal effect. You can stay hidden as long as you don’t move or shoot for as long as you want. The issue is with then perpetually re-hiding for free for the rest of the game.

If AWN can sacrifice turn 1 to start every subsequent turn with their entire gang hidden that would be crazy powerful.

Plus makes no sense narratively.
 

JayTee

Ganger
Jun 14, 2015
243
465
63
I'm not sure it is crazy powerful. AWN can with their Stormcallers already give their entire gang, Helamites and Stormcallers included who don't have sky cloaks, a similar effect but also adjust the range it works at plus affect shooting modifiers, though it's two-way as opposed to the one-way Hide. If a "free" hide for most of your models at the expense of doing nothing for a whole turn with them is crazy overpowered, then a free hide for everyone with the ability to fiddle with the range at which it works, and the extra effects it has on shooting, is surely even worse.

Giving up your whole first turn, minus any Stormcallers or Helamites, gives your opponent a fair bit of initiative. In some scenarios not doing anything for a whole turn can be enough to lose the match if you're not contesting objectives or putting down opponents.

A Double action is a lot; you're halving your actions to not be shot (directly) at. Without the "re-hide for free" I can't think of too many scenarios it would be useful given that (most) useful actions make it go away.

As said, I've not played enough to firmly judge if it's is a broken tactic. So far with how many ways there are to affect Hide/Visibility, and the emphasis AW scenarios puts on this, I feel it's in a good place based on the ~6 games I've played since AW was released. YMMV.
 

Jam Warrior

Gang Champion
Jul 28, 2014
277
438
63
Andover, UK
You can’t see the use? It’s crap on offence but a great defensive move. You know like hiding would be in real life. You take the action when you have a nice position but no current in range visible target.

Camp objectives and fire corridors and guaranteed get first shot when someone enters them before they can shoot you. That’s impressive board control.

Plus it just makes no logical sense. You take time to hide in the environment, expose yourself by moving/shooting, and now magically get re-hidden instantly every turn no matter what actions you’ve taken?
 

JayTee

Ganger
Jun 14, 2015
243
465
63
That's the problem, there are very few occasions where "defence" is worthwhile in Necromunda. In the AW Scenarios only one of them that the AW can play, noting they don't have vehicles, puts emphasis on being static and "defending" (Looters). Around half have you needing to push forward to grab objectives, and while yes you could go static and 'cover' them particularly in the Fuel Hunt scenario where the objectives are going to be less in cover, not contesting them I feel is a mistake.

Arguably hiding has use in the Rescue Mission if you're attacking but god this scenario already crawls; I'd hate to play someone who spends half their turns doing nothing.

The rolling road scenarios you are never going to waste a turn hiding, you need to be moving forward though the AWN do have quite a steep hill to climb with these given their lack of vehicles.

Also, battlefield conditions. If it's Season of Flame there's a ~56% chance to have Visibility in effect, for Ash it's ~93% chance with ~7% chance of being Pitch Black, and for Flame it is more complex due to some of the results but there's a ~25% chance to be Pitch Black, ~47% chance to be nothing and some other numbers it's too early in the morning to work out. Adding all that up it's around 65% chance to have some sort of Visibility/Pitch Black in effect. At which point the use of the Sky Cloaks is pretty low and given the high probability of these effects gangs are going to come with photogoggles and infra-sights which counter the cloaks equally. Plus Stormcallers mean you can guarantee Visibility is in effect, so I feel if you've got a AWN gang in your campaign you need to be prepared to counter Visibility which also counters Sky Cloaks in the same way.

All in all I'm so far not concerned with the balance of the 'free hide', though this whole thing could do with errata given that there's implication that you can only hide in Ash Wastes games not SM/ZM games in the Born to the Wastes skill.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TopsyKretts