N18 Collected Errors/Typos in N22 Rulebook (Ash Wastes)

What I perceived as RAI was that you could take Stormcaller to any scenario as long as it was ash wastes (and not the ones that explicitly prohibits mounts / vehicles). Visibility is also a rule I imagined would be reserved for ash wastes battlefields, as we already have pitch black for ZM/SM, but alas GW recently released scenarios that are specifically SM with visibility (X") rule applied.

Ok then about the 'including vehicles in crews' part, I could say yes you are right, perfect opportunity if that was the case. Or I could double down and say the entire book is negligent to separate vehicles and mounts like this. Later publications are usually not: Succession and the 4 apocrypha pdfs. On the other hand Underdog scenarios in WD (2022-11) make no exclusion to vehicles nor mounts regardless of battlefield type :LOL:

So to summarize:
  • Rulebook (N22 Ash Wastes): Excluding vehicles only
  • Ash Wastes Scenarios (free pdf): Excluding vehicles only
  • Aranthian Succession: Excluding vehicles & mounts for ZM/SM
  • Apocrypha pdfs: Excluding vehicles & mounts for ZM/SM
  • Underdog scenarios (WD): No exclusion regardless of battlefield type
It makes more sense in my mind that vehicles and mounts are restricted to and intended for ash wastes battlefields. That doesn't mean people can't 'break' the rules and use anything anywhere. As usual GW is all over the place. But obviously you are correct about RAW and I have my doubts about RAI.

Hello,

In N22, SEASONS: season of flame: Boilling Wind, the strength is 4.
In the book Ash Wastes the strength is 2.

Is this a typo or did I miss an errata?

Not sure if this actually clarifies ruling on attacks, but just noted their wording for the 'Attacks' characteristic adds the following clarification:

"This is a measure of a fighter’s speed and ability in melee. When a fighter is Engaged in close combat, their Attacks characteristic determines how many dice are rolled when they attack their enemies, with each dice representing one attack made against their enemies."

Don't think that text appears elsewhere in other rulebooks.

Reactions: almic85
Not sure if this actually clarifies ruling on attacks, but just noted their wording for the 'Attacks' characteristic adds the following clarification:

"This is a measure of a fighter’s speed and ability in melee. When a fighter is Engaged in close combat, their Attacks characteristic determines how many dice are rolled when they attack their enemies, with each dice representing one attack made against their enemies."

Don't think that text appears elsewhere in other rulebooks.
It's certainly a new wording! Haven't dug deep into attack problems lately so can't say much about it now.

Reactions: SirWalterManny
I’ll have to go back and read through some of the older rulebooks and some of the weird rules that affect close combat attacks.

From memory the old rules had the Attack characteristic making you roll a certain number of “to hit rolls” with no mention of if they were seperate attacks.

I wonder if there are any further words on if there is any distinction for what makes up a shooting attack in the rapid fire or scattershot rules.

Fighting across barricades (p78) is back! Don't think this has been republished since the N17 rulebook? Range is increased from 0.5" to 1". Also no mention of the -1 hit penalty.

While it is a welcoming return, I noticed a huge flaw. If you want to be behind a barricade (for obvious reasons), but don't prefer to get charged in the face, you can stay 0.00001" away from the barricade, thus not being B2B with it. So I guess it's only useful for fighters that accept the challenge of being charged?!?

Goonhammer mentions a change that haven't been mentioned here:
This was actually in the last, Ash Wastes, Rulebook but we log it as a change from the 2017 rules: Fighters who are Prone and get Charged will still stand up automatically to fight, but will take -1 to hit on all reaction attacks, just as if they’d turned to face someone charging them from behind. A sensible change which gives some incentive to keep your enemies’ heads down as you rush in.
Couldn't find any direct wording of this change. Is it implied in the "Changing Facing" box on page 62?

CHANGING FACING
Fighters can change their facing during their activation, representing them turning in place, or turning their head from side to side. When a Standing fighter is activated, they may turn to face any direction their controlling player wishes, before making either of their actions. Changing facing in this way does not count as moving, and therefore can be combined with any other action.

Players should note, however, that a fighter that changes their facing when Standing and Engaged will normally suffer negative modifiers to any Hit rolls they make. This represents the fighter turning quickly to confront an attacker.

Prone fighters, as has been mentioned previously, have no facing. When they stand up, the controlling player can choose in which direction they face.

I don't have the book, so only going by what you say.

Going from no facing to having a facing is, I suppose, a change of facing.

However, if the wording is "a fighter that changes their facing when Standing and Engaged will normally suffer negative modifiers to any Hit rolls they make" then I don't think that applies to someone standing up - they may change their facing, but they don't change their facing when Standing.

Reactions: TopsyKretts
Noticed a post in a different discussion about a change:
I can’t recall seeing this clarification in other rulebooks so please ignore if I’m late in noticing, but:

Page 83-
New Equipment
On swapping wargear amongst other fighters and the stash-
“Note this means Wargear can only be discarded if being replaced by an alternative item that fulfils a similar purpose.”

I thought previously wargear was able to be swapped freely without needing a similar replacement?

Edit- just checked the ash wastes rulebook and see this is already in that book.

How was this before? Couldn't find any previous usage of this wording. Assume it's an update?

When master crafting came out they had some specific wording around being able to replace your standard weapon with an improved weapon with the same name.

For wargear that line has never existed before (as a far as I am aware). I will have to dig out my ash wastes rulebook and double check if it’s in there.

Noticed a post in a different discussion about a change:

How was this before? Couldn't find any previous usage of this wording. Assume it's an update?
GotU says equipment can be distributed from the stash.

In Dark Uprising and the ‘house of…’ books, it says ‘a fighter may discard wargear when given new wargear. Discarded wargear is placed in the gangs stash.’

So there’s definitely been a change since Ash Wastes that limits wargear to being swapped for similar items. Seems a bit pointless.

Thanks, you are absolutely right. Don't understand how I failed to find it earlier. This topic kind of cascaded down the history of books, cause I added a note about the change in N19 Rulebook thread too.

The topic of swapping/distributing/removing wargear is one I cared least about, being also related to the long discussions about the same for weapons. Never paid attention to how this mutated over the years.

Reactions: cardyfreak
It’s separated by something like 100 pages too, no idea why it isn’t all just all in the same place. I think the new rulebook has all equipment rules together so hopefully this is a sign of better format going forward.

Reactions: TopsyKretts
Forgot to add LoS change to summary. Assume this is the first time LoS explicitly is restricted to within Vision Arc?