Community Terrain Project: The Yakatomi Plaza- yippee ki-yay :)

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
A couple of suggestions -

• Start a "sign up list" in the first post that lists everyone who has suggested they will do a tile and the theme of their tile.
  • Change the name of this thread so it's clearer what it is (involving the words community terrain project or some such may help people to check it out).
  • Ask @Malo to feature this story on the site

I myself am 50% committed - you can put me on the list, but I'd like to see enough a critical mass of people saying they will do a tile before I actually start.

radulykan

Gang Hero
Oct 24, 2013
Burton Latimer, Northants, UK
Just had a quick 5 mins in the garage, 6 inches including the base is the "official" size now, 8inches was huge and really cuts down on the number of floors, 4 inches was very tight especially if anybody is running ogryn or some of the berserker models that are a part of newcromunda (future proofing :) )
After a bit of measuring there is a need for 20 floors, 2 towers of 7 and one of 6 plus a top board that is probably going to be a landing pad although as all the floors will be removable this can change depending on mission/campaign needs. Although I have said 20, 6 is the minimum needed to get a 3 foot playable tower onto a gaming table, if we don't fill all 3 towers by Tribemeet then this thread will be resurrected and more can be done for yakday.
@Fold will do it now :)

If people could post when they decide on their theme that would be great :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Unless that is a set number of floors for some reason, I’d (respectfully) suggest seeing how many people sign up to this before committing. You don’t want to end up with 2 towers crammed with tiles and a third empty because you only got 14 submissions.

Also ... you always need more room to play than you think, so it might be a thought to increase the height between tiles.

As an aside ... I literally just had this thought while typing ... are you going with the “ L “ snapped supports for the tiles? If so ... we could make thin ‘ceiling’ tiles that the tile above would sit on.

Last edited:

radulykan

Gang Hero
Oct 24, 2013
Here’s a pic with a 6 inch gap between floors.
aBgQvoe.jpg

Possibly a bad angle but even the 54mm inquisitor model has plenty of room to be moved around.
I don’t want to create anymore work for anybody, ceiling tiles may just complicate things.
I want to be able to turn the tower on its side for transport, ceiling tiles may get in the way or require longer screws etc. If anybody wants to they may but it is not a requirement.
If we only get 14 submissions then we will only use 2 towers this time around, as long as one tower gets filled then it’s a playable table. More can be added at for later events :)

Edit- having trouble with imgur on my phone, only recently started using it, any tips?

Edit number 2-glad to see you on board @Ironslag69 :)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2017
Looks fine at 6inches, plenty of room to play with. Did you decide on where to position the gaps for moving up and down levels?

I am definitely in for 1, but have ideas / hoping for two..

Reactions: radulykan

radulykan

Gang Hero
Oct 24, 2013
Great, there is an opportunity for 3 bottom floors, fold is thinking subterranean tunnels and clockwork is going with the sump, perhaps both keep that in mind so if we line all three towers up the transition from sump to tunnels works? Maybe a bit of gunk in the tunnels? :)

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
If we agree some pipe positions we could join somehow? They’d have to go into the ground and then out again so that we don’t have to line them up too much.

I’m going for basically a big pond with acient stone and steel walkways.

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
The tunnels could be positioned anywhere, not necessarily just at the bottom. They could be a “service layer” higher up the tower if needed.

My rough plan is that the main tunnels are fully 6” in diameter I.e they take up the entire height of the tile. So, having them line up with anything else is highly unlikely.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I am definitely NOT in! :D But I had an idea anyway that I thought I'd share. How about a level without floor, just some crossing walkways? So the floor under it would essentially be two stories, but with some walkways above. It would take some consideration to get the right stability/rigidity, but other than that should be a fairly simple thing... I hope someone steals this and makes something awesome. ;)

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I am definitely NOT in! :D But I had an idea anyway that I thought I'd share. How about a level without floor, just some crossing walkways? So the floor under it would essentially be two stories, but with some walkways above. It would take some consideration to get the right stability/rigidity, but other than that should be a fairly simple thing... I hope someone steals this and makes something awesome. ;)
That’s the plan for my “Dust Falls” effort. A larg(ish) hole in the middle with a toll bridge spanning the gap. So top floor for me please. (As far away from those orange abominations as possible ;) )

I’m just busy with Pirates and Halloween for a few weeks but I’ll try to work out some details.