N18 Compendium YAQ (N18)

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Re: Weapon accessories

What about something like that:

WeaponHotshot las packGunshroudLas-projectorTelescopic sightInfra-sightMono-sightSuspensors
AutogunYesYesYesYes
Reclaimed autogunYesYesYesYes
BoltgunYesYesYesYes
Combat shotgunYesYesSalvo onlyExcept SalvoYes
LasgunYesYesYesYesYesYes
Las carbineYesYesYesYes
Cawdor Polearm with autogunAutogun onlyAutogun onlyAutogun onlyAutogun only
Cawdor Polearm with blunderbussBlunderbuss onlyEmperor's Wrath onlyEmperor's Wrath onlyEmperor's Wrath onlyEmperor's Wrath only
Sawn-off shotgunYesYesYesYesYes
ShotgunYesYesExcept ExecutionerYesYes
Stub cannonYesYesYesYes
Suppression laserYesYesYesYesYes
Throwing knives
AutopistolYesYesYes
Reclaimed autopistolYesYesYes
Bolt pistolYesYesYes
Combi-pistol autopistol/handflamerAutopistol onlyAutopistol onlyAutopistol only
Combi-pistol autopistol/plasma pistolAutopistol onlyYesYesPlasma pistol only
Combi-pistol bolt pistol/handflamerBolt pistol onlyBolt pistol onlyBolt pistol only
Combi-pistol bolt pistol/plasma pistolBolt pistol onlyYesYesPlasma pistol only
Combi-pistol stub gun/plasma pistolStub gun onlyYesYesYes
Flechette pistolYesSolid only
Hand flamer
LaspistolYesYesYesYesYes
Las sub-carbineYesYesYes
Needle pistolYesYesYes
Plasma pistolYesYesYes
Stub gunYesYesYesYes
Web pistol
Combi-weapon autogun/flamerAutogun onlyAutogun onlyAutogun onlyYes
Combi-weapon autogun/grenade launcherAutogun onlyYesAutogun onlyYes
Combi-weapon bolter/flamerBoltgun onlyBoltgun onlyBoltgun onlyYes
Combi-weapon bolter/grenade launcherBoltgun onlyYesBoltgun onlyYes
Combi-weapon bolter/needlerBoltgun onlyYesYesNeedler onlyYes
Combi-weapon bolter/meltaBoltgun onlyYesYesMelta onlyYes
Combi-weapon bolter/plasmaBoltgun onlyYesYesYes
Combi-weapon lasgun/meltaLasgun onlyYesYesYesYes
Combi-weapon lasgun/plasmaLasgun onlyYesYesLasgun onlyYes
Flamer
Grav gunYesYesYes
Grenade launcherYesKrak onlyYes
Long lasYesYesYes
Long rifleYesYesYes
MeltagunYesYesYesYes
Needle rifleYesYesYesYes
'Nightshade' chem-thrower
Plasma gunYesYesMaximal onlyYes
Rad gun
Web gun
Cawdor heavy crossbowKrak onlyYesYes
Harpoon launcherYesYes
Heavy bolterYesYes
Heavy flamerYes
Heavy stubberYesYes
'Krumper' rivet cannonSuper-heated onlyYes
LascannonYesYesYes
Mining laserYesYesYes
Missile launcherKrak onlyYesYes
Multi-meltaYesYes
Plasma cannonYesYes
Rad cannonYesYes
Seismic cannonYesYes

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
So, trying to synthesize the above into as short a set of rules as possible:
  1. A Hotshot las pack can only be fitted on the regular Lasgun and Laspistol
  2. A Throwing knife cannot be fitted with any accessory
  3. A weapon/profile cannot be fitted with an accessory if that accessory would have no effect or a negative effect on the weapon (e.g. a Silent weapon cannot get a Gunshroud, a Long las cannot get a Telescopic sight, Template weapons cannot be fitted with accessories that give bonuses to the hit roll, etc.)
  4. A weapon with multiple profiles (including combi weapons) can be fitted with an accessory if and only if at least one of its profiles can be fitted with that accessory. The accessory is ignored when using a profile that cannot be fitted with it. For the purpose of this rule, combi weapons and polearms are considered as respectively Basic/Special and Close combat/Basic weapons.
  5. For the purpose of accessories, Pistols are divided into two sub-categories: 'Basic pistols' and 'Special pistols'. Basic pistols can only be fitted with accessories that can be fitted on both Basic weapons and Pistols. Special pistols can only be fitted with accessories that can be fitted on both Special weapons and Pistols. Basic pistols are as follows: Autopistol, Reclaimed autopistol, Bolt pistol, Laspistol and Stub gun (every other Pistol is a Special pistol).
I'll admit that's a bit house-ruly, but the RAW don't make sense to me.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I've made my comments on each of the previous points.

2.02: nerve checks in combat
RAW I’m fairly confident it’s two. However, I think RAI it’s definitely only one.

5.06: weapon attachments
The way I’ve assumed it works is you can only apply the attachment if all of the weapon’s profiles match the description (same for weapons with multiple profiles, such as grenade launchers and infrasights).
Which would mean that you can theoretically, RAW, fit a polearm with an infrasight for +1 to hit when engaged.
However, I like the houserule idea that you can fit attachments when part of the weapon qualifies, therefore only gaining the ability for that part of the weapon (with exceptions specifically called out such as polearms or throwing knives).

6.02: Juve to Champion advancements
I’ve assumed that the increasing costs would only begin to accumulate for advancements granted whilst a champion. Although RAW I would probably would mean the champion’s advances are suddenly hit with a large increase.
In terms of tracking it, I put a mark next to the stat on my champ/leader fighter cards when they get an advance to count it. However if you rely on Yaktribe that wouldn’t work so well.

6.03 xp awards
Me and my group always assumed that a direct result just means if they are taken out by the shot itself. So falling to your death or being knocked into wouldn’t count, for example.

6.04 downtime credits
RAW I believe it’s just 250cr on fighters/hangers on themselves. Although my group house ruled that to include house equipment as well, which I think is a fair RAW.
I don’t think it should include trade post items, although common could be argued you definitely don’t make a Rare Trade action with the bonus.

6.05 challenge management
There really is no rule governing challenges.
My group’s arbitrator selects who challenges who for the first [compulsory] game of a cycle (randomly, potentially with some arbitrator tweaking). For the second [optional] game we’re free to arrange our own games, a gentleman’s agreement states that if one person hasn’t challenged that cycle but the other has, they’re the challenger, otherwise it’s a roll off. It’s a system that works fairly well to solve the issue.

6.08/6.10 seriously injured fighters remaining
I think that many post-battle rules clearly don’t work if seriously injured fighters count as on the board if they recover from their injuries.
So although RAW they do, RAI I think they clearly don’t.

7.02 territory boons
The way me, and my group, have played it is that when you acquire the territory it’s functionally identical to 3 of the weapons being added to the stash. So if a fighter dies with a ‘territory grenade’ it’s lost. It also saves the need to differentiate between ‘territory grenades’ and any other identical grenades.
The hanger on ones are the same. I would argue those territories should follow the same rules. However, my group plays it as if that hanger on should abandon the gang for whatever reason, they’re recruited again in the post battle sequence.

7.03 corpse farm
RAW retired fighters definitely generate income. RAI I think it’s only dead fighters though.
It is called a Corpse Farm afterall, and I like to think higher of my war-weary fighters than to provide them with the “9mm pension plan”.
It also prevents abuse of hiring and retiring Juves to generate infinite money.

7.04 drunkeness
RAW it’s cumulative. But I would quite like it to be essentially the same buff. -2 on checks more or less renders the fighter useless, -1 is pretty painful already.

7.05 mine workings
I think it’s pretty clear they can only send them to work the mines after a rescue has been attempted (or not attempted, as the case may be). It says working the mines is instead of selling to the guilders, which suggests selling to the guiders should be an option in the first place.

7.06 toll crossing
I don’t think the Orlock player has the right to refuse payment. The territory says they can pay for the boon, not that the Orlock allows them to pay the boon.
The way my group plays the both players pay situation (or rather has agreed to, as yet no one has ever paid) is that they both negate each other and therefore it’s just a roll off. This is less than perfect as I’m sure at that point both players would simply agree not to pay, but life’s too short to do a secret reveal. Perhaps rule once a toll crossing use has been declared, it can’t be rescinded.

7.07 archeotech device
This is largely the same argument as 7.02. As such I believe you declare the weapons and traits when you acquire the territory, and can choose to add the traits to new weapons or not, but once decided it’s decided.

7.08 archeotech device 2
RAW you can give the archeotech device to melee weapons. But that opens the question of what happens when blaze or radphage is used with multiple attacks? RAW it certainly seems you roll the trait for each successful hit, but the archeotech device is more than good enough as it is.
As for how Unstable works in melee, RAW it seems it has no effect. But it’s not a unique situation to the arceotech device, the lascutter has the same issue.

10.02 blasts/templates in 3D
RAW it seems to only hit in that 2D plane, as it says anything hit by the template and the template is physically an object in a [roughly] 2D plane.
10.03 Same as above, although I’ve always played it as you can angle the template upwards.
In 7th ed 40k (the last to use templates) I believe stated that you could place the flame template up or down 1 level from the shooter, blasts would fall down till they landed on something and be placed at that level. Whatever level they ended up on they would then hit everything on that level. But that’s not perfect as ‘levels’ are inconsistent in height.
Smoke seems to be a blast in all but name [causing all manner of confusion in and of itself] but it sets a precedent for a spherical blast/conical[ish] flame template.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

I'm gonna edit my document soon to add the answers people seem to mostly agree on, and maybe put the rest to popular vote.
Since I've a feeling some of you may have missed it in the wall of text, said document can be found here. It has even more questions that I already answered and you may disagree with, so don't hesitate to chime in on them too.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Otherwise questions which I don't see answered the YAQ:
(I like every current answer).

Toxon/gas 'to wound', does it autofail on a 1? RAW is definitely not, you will automatically wound a T1 opponent. However, it can be argued it's a to-wound roll, so should also autofail on a 1.

Twin Guns Blazing (TGB). The rules say each attack is fully resolved in turn, although I got a response from the FAQ team (for what little that counts) saying you fully resolved each hit. That then implies each shot is fired simulataneously.
The functional point of this is that if a target is hit by the first shot, they will then be pinned, potentially behind cover. TGB says the two shots must target the same fighter, but hidden fighters says you can't target them, which takes precedence?
Also (a point which applies to multiple hits for all weapons such as rapid fire, melee, and scatter) do you resolve one hit through to injuries before you begin to resolve the next? That would mean flesh wounds have an effect "mid attack", whilst presumably making OoA results cut the attack short.

Reactions: Al_Weeks

Al_Weeks

Ganger
Dec 22, 2014
I'm happy to report that i agree with all the observations that Kiro has made.

The timing of how injury dice from multiple hits is resolved is important. It appears to be to (as far as RAI) add all the injury dice from all the attacks made (by either a shooting or melee attack) and roll together.

However RAW it's badly worded and unclear what the processor is with TGB and different weapons In CCW.

Also the table for what weapon attachments can be fitted and which parts of weird weapons they actually interact with is a great idea.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Do we want to include Perils in this compendium?
I'll start off by posting the issues I've noticed with just a read through.

The first is page 28. As written...
"During the post-game sequence, if the gang has any captured fighters, these must be given immediately to the slave guild. The gang can instead choose to keep their captives or sell them to the guilders for credits as normal, but if they do they must test the alliance. Alternatively, and instead of allowing the captive's gang to attempt a rescue mission, the gang may accept a ransom of half the captive's value, rounded up to the nearest 5 credits, but if they do, then the alliance is immediately broken."

- I'll start by ignoring "post-game sequence when the technical term is "post-battle sequence", and by ignoring I mean mentioning it here.
- Secondly, I assume this actually means a captive who wasn't rescued, as opposed to any fighter. Otherwise it's a bit shit for the captive's gang, and makes the remainder of the rule entirely redundant as the captive is lost immediately upon capture.
- The main part is, what's this ransom? Who pays it? What happens?
Presumably the captive's gang pay to have the fighter returned? Then how does this differ from a normal bargain? How is a normal bargain affected by the owner's alliance with the slavers? This is probably the first time in Necromunda when I really have no idea what's expected of me.
This is supposed to be a drawback to the alliance btw.

The second is a general theme across the possible alliances. But they seem to suggest players can elect to play arbitrator missions when given choice of scenario. I had assumed (based largely on the imbalance of the scenarios and their physical and categorical separation) that only the base 12 missions could be chosen.

Thirdly, the guild representatives have a rule "a band apart" (pg 33) which essentially makes them their own separate sub-faction allied to you. For example, your leader/champs "Leading by Example" doesn't affect them, and there's doesn't affect you. All of the individual delegation's leaders have a special rule stating that their Overseer ability can only be used on their guild members (makes sense). But there's no rule about the other way. But I feel as though their should be, and it's just an oversight.

Fourthly, Pg 52 "Howling Winds" states "...Hits from weapons with the gas or smoke traits have no effect on a roll of 4+...".
What's a hit from a weapon with the smoke trait? Surely it means when a smoke marker lands, it has no effect on a 4+. But the wording doesn't really suggest that, it almost reads like smoke should indeed behave like a "bullet" as opposed to a blast, targetting and hitting an enemy fighter or missing without any effect.

Fifthly, pg 54 "brainleaf zombies" states "brainleaf zombies subject to the blaze condition are not automatically broken and cannot attempt to put out the fire"...
Blaze automatically breaks the fighter? I assume they mean they don't run around like headless chickens and can act normally, like the Murder Cyborg. But unlike the Murder Cyborg they still take damage.

Sixthly, pg 55 "sludge jellies" states thusly "..if another fighter does not assist [the paralysed fighter] before the following end phase, the paralysed fighter goes out of action..."
I would read "the following end phase" as the end phase at the end of the current round.
But in that case there's nothing you can do, as assistance is only given during the end phase. They'll die at the beginning of the end phase regardless of what you do.
If, as might be the case, "the following end phase" is the end phase at the end of the next round, that mechanically works by giving you one end phase in which to save them.
Another possibility is that they're only supposed to die at the end of the end phase.
It also doesn't tell you what actually happens to a paralysed fighter, beyond the fact that they become "paralysed", a non-defined term. Through reading the rest of the rule I would suggest that they become seriously injured where they lay, before they use the duct/vent. But can they still crawl? What happens if they're shot or engaged at any point?

Seventhly, page 57 "Things in the Dark" mentions "thermal sight", obviously meant to be "infra-sight".

Eighthly, page 58 "Gunk tank" says that fighters become subject to the 'Gunked' condition, and restates the condition as written in the armoury, with the omission of how the condition is removed. Logically there's no difference between the mission's gunked, and the armoury's gunked. So the ending effects of the latter should apply equally to the former, despite the omission.
I don't know why they didn't just direct you to the armoury page for the definition of Gunked. I suspect they wanted the text to fill space on the page, then ran out of said space.
It also later states that fighters touched by blasts must test to see if they are gunked. Presumably this follows the rules set up at the beginning of the effect (roll a D6, on a 1 they're gunked), although it's never called testing to see if they're gunked. But maybe this is being nitpicky.

Ninthly, pg 66 "crawlways" gives rules for crawling through ventways. The fighter makes an intelligence check, if they succeed their owner places them back, otherwise their opponent place them back or leaves them off. If they're left off the board, "the fighter must make an intelligence check in the next end phase and if successful can be placed, as explained above". Which bits of the explanation? Do they need to make another intelligence check to see who places them, or do we pick up after a successful intelligence check?

Tenth, pg 66 "Hiding places" isn't so much as a non-clarity in the rules, rather I think an unintended omission. Fighters can hide in hatches, but can still be engaged in their hiding place, by moving into base contact with their hiding place.
Firstly, this seems to preclude Versatile from being used (likely intentional though), and also allows the fighter to be engaged without a charge action (intentional?).
The actual issue though is that when engaged in this manner, the fighter is removed from their hiding place and placed within base contact to their attacker. This actually allows the fighter to just appear behind their attacker for a backstab, which just seems unintentional to me.

Eleventh, pg 67 "belching smoke" states that "the area within 6" of the smokestack counts as line of sight blocking terrain". I assume this is no different to regular smoke, but the change in wording is strange. Does the fact that it counts as some kind of terrain allow something like Cawdor's Burning Effigy card to target the area?

Twelfth, Pg 67 "foul air" states that "while within 6" of the smokestack, a fighter may not take more than a single move (simple) action in their turn". When is this checked? Does it only apply if I would be beginning my second move whilst within the stack? Can I move to within range of the stack using a second move action?

Thirteenth, the book in places refers to such things as "a penalty of +2 to nerve tests" and "[clearly a buff] +2 to willpower checks". Combined with the rulebook telling us that +s to skill checks are +s to the dice roll, lowering the target number, it should read "a penalty of -2..." in such instances.

Fourteenth, pg 72 "Cranes and servohaulers" gives rules for joyriding servohaulers, and includes "[may be] driven off ledges (suffering and inflicting damage just as if they were a falling fighter)", but there's no rules for how a servohauler would suffer damage. So we should probably be ignoring the part about suffering damage entirely.

Fifthteenthly, pg 74 "...if they fail, they take a strength 3 hit that causes 1 damage and has the web trait. Unmodified armour rolls may be made against this hit as normal". Firstly, it should have either web or damage, but not both. Secondly, web doesn't allow armour saves normally.

Sixteenthly, none of the badzone scenarios include the "fleeing the battlefield" rules at all. I think that's clearly an oversight, although the fleeing the battlefield rule itself includes the oversight of forced-fleeing.

Seventeethly, pg 91 "blind snake pouch" states "a fighter with the blind snake pouch gains the dodge skills. If they already have the dodge skill [they succeed on a 5 or 6]. In addition, when making a dodge against an attack made by a fighter using the overwatch skill, the dodge will succeed on [a 4+]". It's not entirely clear to me whether the last bit about overwatch requires the actual dodge skill or not.

And... fin.
The book, particularly the events and scenarios really look like they can add a new spice to your games.
But man, can GW not afford to pay a shmuck for an hour or two to read the books before printing? That's almost an error every other page.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Do we want to include Perils in this compendium?
Yes, definitely. Everything that's "canon" for N18 is fair game (books, pdf, cards, even the WD article on Eternal campaigns is technically in the scope)
I don't have access to the Book of Peril yet so I can't help much for the moment, but that looks like a pretty good starting list of questions :D

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I don't think the book is necessary to get, it adds a bunch of cool shit that you could comfortably go without though. But cool shit none the less :p

I've thought of another one as well.
Pg 43, the trading post, the Mung Vase has a price of 2d6x10 credits, at what point do you determine this? Presumably when you approach the trading post? And if you choose to buy it, you roll again for the price of the next vase?

Reactions: TopsyKretts

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Ok. Book of Peril
Pg 43/93 references the Necromunda Giant Rat. There is no mention of how many. What is the cap? It does reference Gangs of the Underhive but that only tells us WHO can have pets.

Last edited:

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Ok, got the book. 2 minutes in (I was mostly interested in the Venator rules) and I'm already scratching my head at what the 'Savvy' skill set is supposed to be (see the example at the bottom of page 14) Did they rename Savant? Well, it's just an example so no big deal, moving on...

Pg 43/93 references the Necromunda Giant Rat. There is no mention of how many. What is the cap? It does reference Gangs of the Underhive but that only tells us WHO can have pets.
Maybe there is no cap. That would be unprecedented for pets, but giant rats are specifically noted to be common in the underhive (so not as 'exotic' as the other pets). The bomb rats are not capped either (since they are personal equipment).
I don't think a cap is needed for pets, strictly speaking. Does not having one break anything I can't think of at the moment?

Reactions: Malo and spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Does not having one break anything I can't think of at the moment?
I don't know the cost of the rats... but could it be abusable to load up a champ with 5 of them? then when he turns up you've got 6 fighters effectivly, as pets wont count towards fighter limits. This was never a huge issue before as there was a cap of a handful of extra pets you could bring along.

This is without having the book in my hands yet to know if there are other stops in place to counter this

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
They are 50 credits, which makes them the cheapest pet, and they are Common in the trading post so you can indeed spam quite a few of them which could be abusable (especially when paired with an infiltrator champion).
What would be a good cap then? The rare (10) pets (Cybermastiff and Cyberachnid) are both 0-3, so the rats should be at least 0-4 I guess.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
0-4 would seem fair to me, maybe even 0-5 if they arn't very good.

I thought pets didnt set up with infiltratoring owners unless they also had the skill, dunno why I thought that though, vaguely recall it being discussed on here though. Or was the end result that they do go with hteir owner?

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Is wargear capped at one per fighter?Since pets are wargear.
I remember a question about this being raised, but don't remember the answer.
Same deal for infiltrating pets with their owner, is that legit?
Either way, I don't think the rats would be OP if uncapped. They need to remain close to their owner, and if their owner goes OoA all the rats disappear.

Reactions: Aulenback and spafe

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
I thought pets didnt set up with infiltratoring owners unless they also had the skill, dunno why I thought that though, vaguely recall it being discussed on here though. Or was the end result that they do go with hteir owner?
I don't remember the conclusion either. But re-reading the rule I think you are right as the pets seem to be deployed separately from their owner (I thought it said they were deployed "alongside" them or something equally ambiguous, but maybe that's older rules, or all in my mind)
Giant Rats have access to Cunning skills as primary though, so an army of infiltrating rodents of unusual size is possible, if not easy to get. I agree that's not a reason to cap them. Edit: Nah, I forgot pets use a reduced table for skills and Infiltrate is not in it.

An army of rats could also prove useful in the Pitfight scenario, but since it's in the arbitrator tools I'm ok with letting the arbitrator worry about it.

Is wargear capped at one per fighter?Since pets are wargear.
I remember a question about this being raised, but don't remember the answer.
I remember a discussion about special ammo (can you get several "doses" of one special ammo to keep shooting when you go OoA?) that may have been extended to grenades, but other than that I don't think it has been discussed. That's an interesting question in and of itself: can a fighter carry several stimm slug stashes or other consumable items?

Last edited:
Reactions: spafe and Aulenback

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
I remember something under the exotic pets to the effect each fighter may only have one... I'm away from books but distinctly remember being disappointed that one Orlock fighter couldn't have multiple dogs
If you can find it I'm interested. I checked the books but couldn't find anything to that effect. Fighters can only have one armour at a time (and the same presumably applies to field armour), and only Leaders and Champions can have Status items, but they are the only restrictions I found regarding Wargear.

Reactions: Aulenback