N18 Compendium YAQ (N18)

It does make you immune to Blaze now though!

9WlG2XQojDo.jpg

Yeah, reminds the age old gig
-Why doesn't melta have fire effect?
-Because molten slag and vaporized flesh doesn't burn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kairae and enyoss
Balance is not what the YAQ is about. The game has many balance issues, this may be one of them, but that's not the point for now. This will come later with N18CE or whatever we end up calling it.
The YAQ is about determining how the game is supposed to work according to its designers, not how we want it to work. And yeah, sometimes that means acknowledging idiotic things like discarding starting equipment somehow not reducing the fighter's value :(

To me, a fighter acting only once during their activation does seem more intuitive than them acting twice. It is also in line with the previous version of the rules, and we have no indication that they wanted to change that.

The fighter who IS on fire does not perform actions
That's the N17 wording. We kept this part of n17 from changes.

But N18 changes other things too. You now ALWAYS have to run around, fall off ledges, but you do it at the beginning of the activation.

As such you finally got the chance to get rid of the Blaze condition before the activation ends.

4+ to reduce any fighter to a moron that is worthless for 1+ turns? With extra hits, actual damage, running around?
It's like getting blinded, but better.
Hardly balanced. Trying to RAI it based on sidenotes from N17 is no more intuitive, sorry.
What's the difference between Blaze from N17 and N18?

From what I'm able to read, they are supposed to work identically. Which means no actions when you're on fire! If on fire, spend time put the fire out. Activation must be in a round when the fighter is not on fire. Very simple!

From what I'm able to read, they are supposed to work identically. Which means no actions when you're on fire! If on fire, spend time put the fire out. Activation must be in a round when the fighter is not on fire. Very simple!

They
1. removed the statement MAY NOT PERFORM ACTIONS from the rule (finally! retaliation strikes! yay)
2. made running around 2d6 randomly, falling off ledges compulsory (and hopping up if you were prone compulsory too, no more rolling in the dust without running around)
3. put the whole ordeal to the beginning of the activation of fighter, used to be at the end of it (technically removing the game mechanical inability to act due to activation being over)
4. forgot to change cyborg assassin and faith through fire tactical card of cawdor
5. (possibly) forgot to say all the scream&run&fall is performed INSTEAD of regular actions

Side-by-side comparison is quite obvious, but old habits die hard, that's for sure

When I read old rules, I see running around 2d6 randomly. But you insist this is a change?

This is the Blaze rule from N17:

After an attack with the Blaze trait has been resolved, roll a D6 if the target was hit but not taken Out of Action. On a 4, 5 or 6 they catch fire - place a Blaze marker on their Fighter card. When a fighter with a Blaze marker is activated, they suffer an immediate Strength 3, AP -1, Damage 1 hit. If the fighter is Seriously Injured, they attempt to put the fire out (see below). Otherwise, they are no longer Pinned and will move 2D6" in a random direction, stopping if they would move within 1" of an enemy.

A fighter with a Blaze marker cannot take any other actions. At the end of their activation, roll a D6, adding 1 to the result for each other Active friendly fighter within 1". On a 6 or more, the flames go out and the Blaze marker is removed. Alternatively, after they move they may become Pinned. Pinned or Seriously Injured fighters add 2 to the result of the roll to see whether the flames go out.​

Last edited:
They reworded it and removed the "A fighter with a Blaze marker cannot take any other actions" sentence in the process. I don't think this sentence is necessary anymore with the new wording though, it's probably meant as a clarification of the GW3 version, not a functional change.
2. made running around 2d6 randomly, falling off ledges compulsory (and hopping up if you were prone compulsory too, no more rolling in the dust without running around)
3. put the whole ordeal to the beginning of the activation of fighter, used to be at the end of it (technically removing the game mechanical inability to act due to activation being over)
This was already the case in GW3. What book are you reading from?
Reaction attacks are not actions btw, so the new wording doesn't change anything in that regard.

Reactions: TopsyKretts
I couldn't see anyone asked this, but do close combat attacks across a barricade still suffer a -1 to hit modifier now? (Underhive book P64)

I can't find it in the new rule book.

This was part of the 2d rules, and could be applied to 3d, but was never explicitly included for 3d rules. New rules are primarily made for 3d rules with some specific exceptions or alterations for 2d. Either they forgot, or it was removed for the purpose of simplification.

One suggestion for inclusion in the YAQ:

Arbitrator scenarios like The Hit say that you use the normal battlefield setup process, but that process for ZM requires the number of board tiles to be specified - which it isn’t for these scenarios.

Does this mean arbitrator scenarios can only be played with SM terrain?

Reactions: Paupoi
No. Those scenarios are made before they came up with the idea that all scenarios should state how many tiles to use. Problem is, they didn't update those already existing scenarios to match that.

As are the "natural 1 on hit roll is an automatic fail" rule, and the reputation cap on Champions, and the definition of what a Standard move is, and the rules for Pitfalls in Zone Mortalis... hard to tell which are deliberate and which are not.

Sure, if you are a killer robot. Or a zombie/monster/other supernatural character.
But regular humans, even badass gang members, have a hard time keeping their cool when on fire, even in movies.

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but funny that you mentioned killer robots.

The Cyborg rules state that unlike other fighters it can perform other actions when affected by the blaze condition.

A couple of things I've noted, apologies is already raised.

Tunnel Skirmish: this allows you do take 6 or 10 gangers, depending on size, but doesn't explain how you determine this (quite a bit swing when a small gang is vs a big gang)

Sneak attack: missing the rule other sentry scenario have, where reinforcements only arrive after alarm is raised.

The rules for getting trapped by doors appear to be missing.