Drag to reposition cover

Concepts without Content (a rambling plog of half-started projects)

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Prone to rambling, and starting but not finishing projects, this seemed like an appropriate title.

Concepts without Content- a whole pile of Concepts without much Content (don’t even think there will be paint)

Concept stuck in my head right now is about making my own version of Eldar Striking Scorpions, or at least mocking up one using blutac and random bits... while the original sculpts are great, I was thinking something heftier (the Swooping Hawks & Warp Spiders look like they are a little more than just another Eldar with a different hat/weapos, hoping to make a Scorpion that stands out too).

...so firstly: would a Dark Eldar splinter rifle mash up well enough to look like a passable eldar chainsword? (chaos space marine chainswords are way too chunky for this)

48745-d6cd185f6de5c23e9923780158f1473a.jpg

.oO(this post will randomly be edited & spoilered as more random thoughts/projects are spammed across the interwebs)

Last edited:

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Doesn't look like too much work to make it fit. Cut a bit out of the back for the hand. It's a bit fat, but not too bad.

The "teeth" nibble in the wrong direction though.

Capture.PNG

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Does it matter (functionally) which way the teeth go?

Indeed, I vaguely recall that they're supposed to go in both directions, though I could be wrong about that.

Reactions: trollmeat

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
A modern chainsaw runs with the lower teeth cutting towards you. So do circular saws etc. Admittedly I've never used one backwards but presumably it's easier to control if it's pulling away from you rather than pushing towards you upon hitting something?

How does this translate to far-future chain weapons? Who knows! I don't recall reading that the chains go both ways anywhere, but that doesn't mean it's not there somewhere in the lore.

It might just be a case that because real chain cutters work that way, having them modelled the other way just looks a bit wrong.

The splinter rifle however has angles enough on both sides that when it was painted I'm sure it'd look fine either way.

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I didn’t mention the backwards teef to see if it was as obvious as I thought. Kickback from backwards spin (or using the top of a standard chainsaw) is dangerous to the user. The quick photochop you did, @Stoof , makes me think it could actually work. I have plenty of splinter rifles left over so I could have a hack at the teeth on one and see how it turns out.

From Yakchat:
trollmeat: I have some chaos space marine chainswords, but they are far to clumsy a weapon for an eldar :)
ClanBuckCANS: Aye dat they would be. But you'd be surprised what de pointy eared buggers will use in a pinch.

My Scavvies & Chaos Space Marines love using scavenged weapons, for these Scorpions I’m aiming for something more refined than my usual bodge jobs. P-:

Last edited:

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Though Van Saar would definitely work, I am planning on using salvaged Eldar guardian bits (got an amazing guardian on a flying base with one chaos space marine shoulder pad & one tau pad), maybe mixing in some Dark Eldar gubbins such as the gun=chainsword or other bonus pointy things.

...none of the sketches(scribbles) seem to convey what I see in my head. I kinda want it to be partially seated, like an augmented movement mech. Might just have to just jump into modelling and let the bits tell me where they want to be.

Chunkier Scorpion scribbles:
full.jpg

...the snek-mech is probably just out of proportion, as I focus on getting the connections/details in the right places.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Bilbostomper

Laser Monkey
Honored Tribesman
Nov 30, 2017
Porsgrunn, Norway
To me that seems like you could make these guys be some bigger Scorpion variants that count as Wraithblades, and then you could have a Striking Scorpion themed army with lots of different units united by a common theme.

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
...count as Wraithblades, and then you could have a Striking Scorpion themed army...
The idea is there, but I’m looking at 1-2 prototypes, (which could also count-as Malcadon spyrers) and then maybe 3 more for a small strike force of actual counts-as Striking Scorpions. :p

This is a bit more the shape I was thinking:
(terribad image quality, but half-arsed sketch :) )
full.jpg
The butt would be fixed to a segment, the legs able to move more freely, the knee is drawn in to hopefully show this.

Higher segments would have a pin connecting to the back, and the chainswords would probably have some kind of cable connection (yeah, probably two chainswords, the snek-mech can totally just have the shuriken pistols[webpistols] “built into” it).

Anyway, I think that is closer to portraying the idea which has been going around in circles in my head for at least a while now...

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
An entire army based around a single Aspect would be sooo cool. yeah, you totally need to do that. (I’m so free with other people’s hobby time)

• Haha

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Eldar Scoprion mech pieces + markup.
Starting to look more like what I had in my head. Sometimes scribbles just don’t depict things the way I want.
full.jpg

Scorpion chainsword starting to take form.
Some comparisons, and original piece to the right. Think the teeth are looking good.
full.jpg
? Unsure if I want to cut space for the hands to go in, or if i just cut the hands off and have it as if they are gloved inside the handle. Apparently this would be a Basket Hilt, thanks Stoof.

These last pic show the salvaged Eldar Guardian that is getting a promotion. It originally had chaos & tau shoulder pads, was on a flying base and was posed so it was groping its own butt.
49059-3d6c307d5d81d0481cb210924876104f.jpg

full.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben_S and Stoof

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
There is a new Finish Your Shit Challenge up and running. I’d previously never caught the start and felt jumping in halfway was probably not going to be motivating.

I do have a billionty half-started projects, and the requirements are simply ~”Finish 5 models, or a Character/Vehicle, or a chunk of terrain... might as well sign up and see how it goes

...I mean, this pic below is just some half-started things within arm’s reach.
49882-9026827684781cb75a2e9157e8c44b1b.jpg

Wonder which things/bits will draw my attention :)

Last edited:

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
These are the models that make up The Dregs ( gang roster ). They are a Scavvy Gang using Helot Rules. This is my thread asking a bunch of noob Helot/N17+ questions.

I have been working on these guys for the Finish Your Stuff Challenge. The base/core models have seen many iterations without paint or glue, as my filthy Mutant Freak Scavvy gang, but it is finally time for me to level up from playing with unpainted minis :)

Spokvok, the two-headed mutant wielding two autopistols, was the only one to remain unchanged. In my head-canon he is the same character, having escaped and moved on to join a new gang in a new part of the Underhive.
full.jpg

Unfortunately, the Boss of the new gang was inexperienced and lead the crew of The Dregs straight into a slaughter. Spokvok ended up with a lasting hand wound, Sarge was captured and lost forever the old relic Chainsword that the leader of the previous gang had passed down... overall it was quite a learning experience, for those who survived :)

• Red:Dead.
  • Yellow:Recovery. 1xp.
  • Green:Previously painted, will base for FYSC.1xp.
  • Blue:Glued and painted for FYSC. Needs basing. 1xp.
  • White:Purchased after first battle to fill out numbers. Painted for FYSC, needs basing. 0xp.
All of the idjuts who were injured / in recovery might see some paint for next week’s battle, but for now I’m going to just see if I can get these bases done :)

Last edited:

Unslain

Gang Champion
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
Recently I painted up an old Heroquest “Fimir” model, replacing its Axe with an old placcy Goliath’s autogun... instead of greenskin I went with Bronzed Flesh 😂

Curse you and your clever conversions! Not only do I have the urge to root out all my skaven and kroot, tear them apart and bash 'em back together, but I'm eyeing up my fimir now and thinking what great scalies they could become.

See this is the problem with heresy; no matter how many times you give in to temptation, there's always another transgression beckoning and someone clearly having fun on the far side of that line.

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Thanks, I’m quite happy with how they are turning out :)

They are now as finished as they are going to get, but as The Dregs are participating in a campaign their numbers will probably continue to grow & weapons be updated.

Shotty, Spokvok, DaClaw, Longshanks.
full.jpg

Scout, The Boss, Old One Eye.
full.jpg

Close up of Old One Eye, with the background showing Joe Average & the witch Borax & two skeletal Chaos Familiars who were not painted this month but were based.
full.jpg

(i quite like the little flowers on the base)

The 3 nameless replacements/fillers. “Meat Shield 1 - 3. :)
full.jpg

The different groups in their rough formations, with two spares as meat shields (Longshanks has some injury and Daclaw only has a stub gun)
full.jpg