N18 Corpse Grinder Cult Icon

The Alleycat

May 9, 2021
Hi all,

Goonhammer and Yaktribe's gang creator both seem to say that the Corpse Grinder Cult Icon can be given to an Initiate at gang creation.

Original rules only allow for it to be given to a Leader or Champion [Butcher or Cutter].

It seems likely then that there is an update somewhere that makes the icon more flexible in terms of who you can equip with it, but I cannot locate this anywhere despite deploying much Google Fu.

Could anyone clarify if there has been a change and if so where the change can be found, please.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
According to Bookromunda:
1620731713217.png

Reactions: The Alleycat

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
So checked both the Dark Uprising booklet (p118) and book of ruin (p123). Both say the same thing, only one fighter in a gang can carry a CGC icon and this must be either a gang Leader or a Champion.

I think the confusion comes from the icon being in the cults "personal equipment" list, and therefore theoretically available to any ganger, its only when you read the entry for the icon itself that the restriction is made clear. This is one example where individual equipment lists per ganger type would help

mateyboy3000

Ganger
May 29, 2017
They may have abandoned it all together, but the exotic beasts and master crafted weapons were always limited by the universal House list meaning they had to be in a champion/leader only section of the trading post.
Now that we are getting individual lists that is no longer needed.

I quite like Status items as a concept and would like them to expand on it but it seems like it is unlikely.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
It is needed because equipment is relatively free form in Necromunda.

RAW, when you purchase an item it goes in your stash not directly to a fighter (something I'm the writers just forgot).
So if master crafted weapons aren't limited to champs/leaders, I could buy one and just give it to a ganger from the stash.
Even if you hand wave that and assume RAI equipment is bought directly for a fighter, that fighter could always die or retire, transferring the item to the stash.
With Wargear the problem is even worth as those can be removed from a fighter card normally.
Although pets aren't on thr trading post so gangers can't actually take them anyway.

mateyboy3000

Ganger
May 29, 2017
It depends on how you view master crafted weapons with regards to being available to a ganger with no TP access, because they can't get the master crafted on their equipment list. Is it really on their list.

I agree wargear swapping is far to free-form, while necessary for things like armour the current rules enable you to tailor your wargear to your next game of you know who you're playing. Or create a general setup if you don't, all without increasing your gang rating as the rest is in your stash

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
RAW you shouldn't be able to tailor wargear, as all equipment is moved only in the post-battle sequence.

So tailoring your gear to your opponent is arguably cheating as that's 'out of character' information within the confines of the game.

mateyboy3000

Ganger
May 29, 2017
I completely agree that you shouldn't tailor gear. It's a nature of the way people play games and pre plan games ahead of time that makes it possible

The Alleycat

May 9, 2021
Hello again and thanks for the replies.

Would anyone please be willing to offer some further advice about who is best equipped with the Icon. I'm still getting my head around the rules of how it works but if I understand correctly, the bearer will sacrifice their activations to slingshot those around them into the enemy.

So let's say I have:
Leader with Paired Chain Cleavers
Champion with Paired Chain Cleavers
Champion with Rotary Flensing Saw [too cool a model not to include one]

Which of these is best given the Icon in a starting gang? [And I believe I'm only allowed one per gang]

Cheers

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
Ultimately I don't think it matters too much as any of those models that makes it into melee will kill just about anything they'd reach.

I'd probably opt for the flensing saw as its a 4" versatile weapon so can attack from only a single action or without the benefit of the boost

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Yeah the Flensing Saw could effectively make a 'charge' as it also gains the +D3" movement from the icon, the only drawback is no +1A bonus.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
A move+attack is two actions so there's no benefit of doing that vs just charging.

It can attack from 4" using Versatile though.
But if you're that close, there's probably no reason to use the icon anyway

Reactions: TopsyKretts