Dabbk's Plog

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Ok all,
so far I resisted the temptation to create a single, centralized thread to dump on this awesome community my various adventures and experiments with Necromunda, and by extension other skirmish games (eg SWA, KT, ..) and other stuff more or less related to our hobby.

I'm not so sure why I didn't do it, to be honest, so... yeah, I figured out: I should get started!

I will probably keep that post as an index in the future, as other people have done.

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Ok, so, at the moment, I am doing several things hobbywise:
A/ Necromunda campaign (See here) with my 'old' kitbashed vansaars (See them here) and it is super fun! and also a source of 'I need to assemble a new dude and have him painted before the next game', which can be exciting hobby motiations.
B/ Playing single Killteam gamesabout once a week, and trying to motivate my wife to try it out. Also so far I have bougth every single thing KT, and kind of plan to go to having all lists. I guess a campaign would be fun, but I havent found time or a good environment for it yet.
C/ Kind of assembling 40k armies, but more for the fun of the hobby (havent played a single 40k game, and I own 2K of tyranids, 2k or orks, and 2k of GSC. Or something like that, I havent counted). I might try a game someday for fun. And I know I will be in trouble soon because of Orktober, and GSC codex drop.
D/ playing bolt action and tankwars, even if not so often lately
E/ being frustrated by the lack of storage space, which seriously limits my terrain creating activities, which would otherwise be something I really love
F/ magnetizing, assembling and painting all the terrain that result from me getting all the KT things: a lot of stuff terrainwise!
G/ trying to experiment and learn with my airbrush, and more generally how to get shit done and painted on the table, instead of letting my pile of shame grow (eg the tower and hidden boxes of sprues and various results from my plastic addition :)).

So, yeah! I think in the near future, you'll see pics of vansaars, killteams, and maybe some lists/battle debriefs. Also the occasionnal comp entry, who knows?

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Tonight was a not so active night: finished building a few things, and the airbrush up: ir usually is too loud to use at night in the week, so I have to carefully plan for what I need to airbrush on weekends :p
Anyway, I love priming with my airbrush - there's not much else I know how to do so far with it... but yeah, those puppies are now ready for paint!
As a note: Im still very muck experimenting with this whole zenital thing... I have the impression I put too much white, but then I dont know. Would be interested in seeing what others do.

I have to come up with a color scheme for the wyches: neon blue or green hair+ edge purple or sth like that is my current idea, but I'll do a test model.

The van saars scheme is well defined... but I have to find my notes, or experiment again :p
I might also cut quite a bunch of corners on both of these, bc I mostly want them to be tabletop ready rather sooner than later.

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Not exactly hobby related (or is it?), but yesterday I had my first Killteam game.... on tabletop simulator! One of my cousin, who lives in a different country and has twins under the age of two, was dearly looking forward to getting his hands on kt models... the virtual version was the only option so we looked into it, and I have to say: it can work reasonably well!

We had issues with the audio, and some UI commands seem to have been changed for him between the sandbox mode and 2 player mode, we werent fully used to the whole thing... but we had a really nice game! Well, he litterally murdered my deathwatch with his thousand sons, but thats part of the game, and so the point is: tts seems to work out okay for kt.

Now, for necromunda I know some people also use it, but I have the impression it would be a bit trickier, as 3d and various floors (which sort of worked but not 100% perfect) are paramount.

I might write up a quick howto guide if people are interested, because it took me some time to figure it well enough to actually play a game.

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Yesterday I worked on the centerpiece of my gsc gang: abby.

That Saw... I love it! The new aberrant kit... well, it is better than the previous one, but come on, I had to severely chop things to reposition these the way I wanted. Also wtf, why no box out of tooth and claw?

Anyway. I'll do the gs soon, and hopefully this puppy will be primed and basecoated by thr end of the week!

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Alright, I had kind of a change of plans this weekend: I only finished the greenstuff on my aberrant, but no base layer!
Here's the family:
I will hopefully test them out this week, as they joined the sewer city campaign!

I decided to put some paint on the latest additions to my vansaars. Still a work in progress, but all in all they should be soon ready to go:

Also put some paint on my primaris killteam (from first strike). Blood angel it is! Now I have to not let this evolve into an army :p

Now, and that's because the flesh is weak, I've heard voices of "play us! play us! play us!" when looking at my redemptionnists, sooo... I will actually bring a third gang to sewer city: The Church of Absolution (by fire)
Here's the group pic:

And here's the starting gang:

I built a couple dudes from frostgrave cultists (I think I've had the sprues for more than two years now), and... I have a couple other mods to make. I dont really like the cawdors models, for some reason, but it seems not as bad as I thought to play them count as with my redemptionists.
I don't know when I'll manage to play those guys, but it seems worth trying :p

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Well, in regards to the Angels, if you DO decide to make an army, you may want to avoid making every single marine stand to proper scale..
flJEjg2.jpg
Only a crazy person would convert their whole army to stand at truescale...
7N1Xtzs.jpg

Last edited:

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Sooo, I spent some time on my wyches tonight, and am happy with the result:

I might add in a contrast color, eg on fabric: either a yellow or pink, or purple. Or just leave them like that:
Well of course I need to find something for their bases - any suggestion?

oddball300

Gang Hero
Jul 25, 2011
Granite City, IL, USA
Well depends. Are these folks just for kill team or a larger army? If a larger force then make em match said force. If they are for a certain campaign match the most common terrain then gore it up. And since they are wyches you can do the tried and true arena floor.

Oh! If you have a regular player add his bits so if its a ultra marine player add a helmet or a disembodied arm or something kinda like talking smack.

Another option is every time they kill someone in game add something to the base.

Reactions: dabbk

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Nice suggestions :) So far, these are only for killteam, and I sure try to not let this expand into a full blown 40k force :p
Worst case scenario it would be mostly for display because I dont play 40k yet.
So, arena floor means... sand? That'd work with the green :) As for goring it up and adding trophies, that sounds like fun :D
I could do mechanicus also, as I play either on imperialis or mechanicus, but eh, not sure I want yet another set of minis with that type of bases.

oddball300

Gang Hero
Jul 25, 2011
Granite City, IL, USA
Hey no prob man. Take your time do them the way you want and expand as you see fit. Like I have serial boards in my basement and several 40k armies. And they are all based different.

Well depends on the arena, most are sand some are just concrete slabs Cuase easy to clean blood. Sand soaks blood some are sawdust to again soak blood, some are hard packed clay. Or you know you can go more exotic and make it look as if a real space raid on an alien jungle world. Or a section of city...or no mans land...literally the possibilities are endless. Or some creation thereof. Dead world? Lava planet? Iceworld? Some rendition of mars (since you mentioned the mechanicum)? A feudal world with hamlets and castles? Desert? Industrial wasteland? Hell maybe even attempt to make commorragh.

I hope that I have sparked the creative juices.

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
The Sewer city campaign is raging, and my cawdemptionnists (or is it redempdors?) have had a pretty successful spook harvest (after a, lets say, blasting start), so I needed new bodies!

Not sure yet how Im gonna spend my 190 credits, but the news that juves can get expensive equipment starting game 2 is huge for me: hand flamer and blasting charges for everyone!

I might replace my previous long rifle with this one, or keep the option to have two.

Now I am looking for blunderbusses that dont suck: the ones the scavies had, or chaos dwarfs ones. Not the ones on the cawdor sprues (ewwww). Any recommandations? I guess piraty games, or abyssal dwarfs from KoW might work... will have to explore my flgs.

Oh, the frostgrave cultists are alright. I mean... technically years behind any gw plastic, but there is no proper option with gw.

Anyway! This is all fun and all, but I hope they release interesting outlanders, Id be so happy to have proper redemptionnists, and would be eager to misuse outlander sprues :D

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I just got some of the FG cultists myself. First official FG miniatures I've picked up. I'm really not sure about their heads though.

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Yeah, maybe not all of the sprue can be used, and it is not all perfect, but it is decent. Im actually eager to put some paint on these, to see how well they blend in with the oldschool dudes (also to not play unpainted stuff)

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Alright! Tonight I've mostly done a brainstorming session for the xmas mini exchange: so many different directions - that I cannot discuss as of now :D

--- space for a future log ---

I've also worked a bit on the sewer city ongoing dominion campaign: mostly planning what I want to do with it - and hobbywise, more generally, too.
Unreasonably, I have three gang in that campaign, and the map is already filming up! Out of 50 spots, only 20 are left, and the good ones are almost all gone.

My van saars are quite ahead in value, and no one really wants to play them: I've kept them not too hardcore listwise, but still, they're feared for a reason! Also I have made 25 of these guys, and only need to finish painting the last batch.

My gsc have yet to see a battle. Basically they're an excuse to make Abby, and use my painted gsc on a table. I dont expect much from these dudes, modelling wise.

My cawdemptionnists (cawdors that actually in the end are redemptionnists) are my currently active gang. They took a hit by loosing a champ, but also modelling wise they're me most fun: I now need to think about what I want to make for them next: it seems that having tons of bodies isnt that good, as scenarios will often let you take a crew of random(d3+3) or so, which is cool for vansaars, but sucks balls for juve rich cawdors... another issue IMO with N17.

I may or may not have ordered an abominant on ebay to make a cawdor brute, and may or may not have resisted the temptation to order necron stuff for a van saar brute O:)
Terrain wise Im budgeting a mat, and I might snap a set of badzone delta at my flgs as they seem to already be off catalogue! I need walls for zone mortalis. Longterm I might want them 3d printed, but shortterm might end up with foam and sort of plain.

On the killteam front: Im about to play my dark eldars for the first time: I need to finish them up! My current plan is to get stuff done and move on (next on the line is deathwatch and orks). I still think I'll try to go for a full 16 kt collection, but it is tough to be a completionnist :p I also have quite some terrain to magnetize and paint (will be good for necromunda aswell).

On the other fronts:
- orktober: speed freeks IS happening. I'll probably want to get the dex and toy with lists... I have tons of orks on sprues patiently waiting for their time to waaagh!
-Vanguard: mega pledge incoming! actually looking forward to some fantasy! Hope I'll like the mantic models and rules, but what I've seen is promising
- bolt action: tankwar is a few decals away, and my us troops havent seen the field for a couple of month
- gsc codex incoming, and I expect/hope for cool minis.

All this before the end of the year, makes me think I need to focus :D