N18 Dark Uprising Campaign question

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
So I've now read the rules the dark uprising campaign and I have to say I really like it for that post apocalyptic wasteland feel that many thought were missing from the new version of necromunda and with a but of tweaking will fit a deep underhive campaign aswell.

For thise who aren't aware ithe territories have two conditions ruined and normal (see example below)

Neo the campaign describes the normal status to be when it is under the influence not order and ruined once chaos has taken hold. However it doesn't state how exactly this happens if it's the allegance gang who owns it seem a bit harsh on chaos in the uprising phase as they generate no credits and very harsh on the order forces in the final stage as they will have no meat from their territories.

Anyone spotted the answer in missing?

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
Answered my own question with a more careful read.

In the insurrection phase if chaos is in the ascendancy each play must choose one of their territories to become ruined.

In the damnation phase all territories become ruined.

Questions answered just with they had put all of the territory rules in the same place

Last edited:

Scabs

Ganger
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
...In the insurrection phase if chaos is in t he ascendancy each player must choose one of their territories to become ruined.

...Questions answered just with they had put all of the territory rules in the same place
I read the rules, too. Plan on starting a Dark Uprising campaign this week. But, I missed that territories can become ruined during the Insurrection phase. Glad you posted.

I really like the handy softback rulebook included with the Dark Uprising boxed set. It is everything you need to play with the contents of the box, including a campaign. However, it contains NO more than what you need. If one wants to expand beyond the contents of the box, one will need more rulebooks. Yes, it does continue the somewhat scattershot nature of the previous rulebooks.

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
You're welcome it took several rereads untill I spotted it. It's definitely a full game in a box experience as a vehicle to sell the new ZM plastics in my opinion. As in I really want this ZM for heresy kill team etc but hey I've now been introduced to necromunda nao I might just but one resin guy, damn it how did I buy every gang

Gunkaiser

Gang Champion
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
I read the rules, too. Plan on starting a Dark Uprising campaign this week. But, I missed that territories can become ruined during the Insurrection phase. Glad you posted.

I really like the handy softback rulebook included with the Dark Uprising boxed set. It is everything you need to play with the contents of the box, including a campaign. However, it contains NO more than what you need. If one wants to expand beyond the contents of the box, one will need more rulebooks. Yes, it does continue the somewhat scattershot nature of the previous rulebooks.
Is it a complete substitute for the N18 book?

Reactions: Ml2sjw

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Is it a complete substitute for the N18 book?
Hell no!

It is quite complete, but missing several key components. Most notably the Trading Post, which if I understand correctly, does not exist in Uprising campaign. It also excludes core components of the "full game" outside of the new starter box:
  • Gangs (GSC, 6 House gangs, Bounty Hunters, Chaos Cult)
  • Trading Post (already mentioned) & Black Market
  • Full Armoury
  • previous scenarios
  • previous campaigns (Dominion, Law & Misrule, Assault on Precinct)
  • Hired Guns (Hive Scum, Bounty Hunters)
  • Brutes
  • Pets
  • Persisting Campaign rules
  • ++

Nothing GW ever releases is a complete substitute for anything. That is best left to the community to fix. PM me for example, I got one document that can subsitute any number of Necromunda books, pdfs and White Dwarf articles.

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
You are correct House list only for the first campaign section then no purchasing equipment or hired guns for the final section

1 comments

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
I'm suspicious this was to make it easy for them. It is quite a task to make a complete armoury and trading post (surprised they managed to do it in the compiled rulebook). While it fits the Uprising campaign (starving gangs without access to luxury items and expensive weaponry), it also is a cheap direction to go.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
It is a massive improvement from the garbage "rulebook" of the first box. This is at least the complete core mechanics rules and a campaign similar to the Dominion and Law & Misrule. Uprising is also much better than Turf War.

I don't mean to make conspiracy, but it could have been different. Let's say Law & Misrule campaign was released in this box (instead of in the Book of Judgement). That's not a completely unrealistic scenario. However, they would have to make a complete armoury, trading post and black market for it. Instead, they put the campaign requiring a lot of additional content separately in the Book of Judgement. Since Book of Judgement is not a rulebook, they could skip these difficult parts to put in. And use the "simpler" campaign in the new rulebook, which excludes these components.

Last edited:

Scabs

Ganger
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
I do like having a handy softback rulebook. I now don't have to share my hardback with my son at game night. I still share the antipathy for the marketing of this game. I mean, the N17 core rules were only marketed in the boxed set. And, it took four Gang War books to return the game it's full glory of a full campaign, and all House Gangs. Over the course of that first year, I twice had the rulebook and the first three Gang Wars rebound into a nearly coherent spiral binder at Kinko's. And, then ALL of those were obsoleted this year with big, beautiful, expensive, and bulky, and heavy hardback rulebooks. Yes, the Book of Ruin ain't cheap, either. But it may be the straw that literally breaks my back. Indeed, it may cost me thousands. I think I'll need to hire a personal assistant to carry the hardback books, and find the rules I need when I'm playing the games! OK, that's not true. I have my teenage son to carry my Necro books. And, he'll only cost me hundreds of thousands before he gets out of college.

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Yeah I've made some similar "mistakes". Printed a compressed rules document into small booklet, nicely with plastic binder too. A week before a new book is released. Printed quite a few of those "compilations", they get outdated real quick. It's not so compressed anymore either, 220 pages and counting.

• Wow
Reactions: Scabs and Ml2sjw

Gunkaiser

Gang Champion
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Hell no!

It is quite complete, but missing several key components. Most notably the Trading Post, which if I understand correctly, does not exist in Uprising campaign. It also excludes core components of the "full game" outside of the new starter box:
  • Gangs (GSC, 6 House gangs, Bounty Hunters, Chaos Cult)
  • Trading Post (already mentioned) & Black Market
  • Full Armoury
  • previous scenarios
  • previous campaigns (Dominion, Law & Misrule, Assault on Precinct)
  • Hired Guns (Hive Scum, Bounty Hunters)
  • Brutes
  • Pets
  • Persisting Campaign rules
  • ++

Nothing GW ever releases is a complete substitute for anything. That is best left to the community to fix. PM me for example, I got one document that can subsitute any number of Necromunda books, pdfs and White Dwarf articles.
Isn't most/all of that stuff in the Gangs book? Like, wouldn't I be good if I just added on the Gangs and Book of Xs? I've already got all the Gang Wars, the Book of Ruin, and the Book of Peril

Reactions: Devilmixer

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
You would be quite good, but not complete. But you wouldn't find the core 12 scenarios? Psychic power mechanics? Just look at the index of the N18 Rulebook to see what you're missing. All of these books are also easy to find as pdf, so no need to buy the whole damn library.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunkaiser
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
Wait, so there's no trading post in the Uprising campaign?
No, the Dark Uprising Rulebook does not include a trading post.

It's because Guilders and black marketeers are the first to vacate domes in times of great danger before the Enforcers close them and impose martial law to quell the uprising.

DURB Quote p. 70: However, should players wish, there is nothing to prevent them from using the Trading Post rules as presented in the Dominion Campaign rules found in the Necromunda Rulebook. The full Trading Post itself can be found in Necromunda: Gangs of the Underhive.

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Sorry, was a joke from my part. I agree one could add or modify to the heart's extent.

I'm confused when it comes to how territories change control in Uprising campaign. If you win a scenario AND inflict 3x amount of Out of Action against the opponent, you can steal a territory. This is one mechanic which makes territories move between gangs. Are there others? Any way for new territories to enter the circulation? Or is the Uprising campaign locked at 3 territories per gang, where each gang can lose maximum 2 territories? So if you have 10 players, that's 20 territories and circulation and 10 territories permanently locked to the gangs?

klausbot3000

Feb 27, 2019
No, the Dark Uprising Rulebook does not include a trading post.

It's because Guilders and black marketeers are the first to vacate domes in times of great danger before the Enforcers close them and impose martial law to quell the uprising.

DURB Quote p. 70: However, should players wish, there is nothing to prevent them from using the Trading Post rules as presented in the Dominion Campaign rules found in the Necromunda Rulebook. The full Trading Post itself can be found in Necromunda: Gangs of the Underhive.
cheers la

Merzbau

Gang Champion
Nov 9, 2018
Philadelphia
Sorry, was a joke from my part. I agree one could add or modify to the heart's extent.

I'm confused when it comes to how territories change control in Uprising campaign. If you win a scenario AND inflict 3x amount of Out of Action against the opponent, you can steal a territory. This is one mechanic which makes territories move between gangs. Are there others? Any way for new territories to enter the circulation? Or is the Uprising campaign locked at 3 territories per gang, where each gang can lose maximum 2 territories? So if you have 10 players, that's 20 territories and circulation and 10 territories permanently locked to the gangs?
As I understand it, yeah, this is the case. Scenario rewards become much more important to gain portions of Meat and especially Scavenging rolls (since credits generated by territories become useless). I haven't really gamed it out on paper but it'd be fascinating to see how this different setup affects play style, assuming everyone in a campaign understands its implications. The greatly increased difficulty of stealing terrains- and the inability to specify which terrain you're attacking, as opposed to a random roll- complicates issuing a challenge in interesting ways when compared to Dominion campaigns, and seems to serve as a soft rubberbanding to keep any one gang from running away with (or getting hammered into the dirt during) the campaign's first half.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
If you massacre your opponent, it is not rubber banding if you also steal their territory. Otherwise I agree, higher requirements means less territories are stole.

Reactions: Merzbau

Gunkaiser

Gang Champion
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
So what bonus stuff should be added in in the Insurrection phase? I'm thinking the trading posts (of course) and guilder contacts, both of which disappear in the Damnation phase. Anything else?

Reactions: Merzbau

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
So what bonus stuff should be added in in the Insurrection phase? I'm thinking the trading posts (of course) and guilder contacts, both of which disappear in the Damnation phase. Anything else?
If you're adding guidler contacts I'd include criminal alliances just because they are cool and fluffy.

Merzbau

Gang Champion
Nov 9, 2018
Philadelphia
I’d be tempted to add the Black Market- the fact that it has more exotic stuff that becomes impossible to ever replace in the back half of the campaign makes, say, a Man of Iron or somebody with the weird Hellraiser cube that much more unique and prized and OH GOD WHY DID MY JUVE EAT HIM- but I’m not sure it’s worth the bother of tracking Outlaw status in addition to Order/Chaos? Mostly I’m concerned with players having to do too much bookkeeping (though I’d happily take care of that part).

Reactions: Ml2sjw

Jumbley

Black And White Son Of A Gun
Honored Tribesman
Sep 5, 2019
Oh - so the full Trading Post is printed in Gangs Of The Underhive, is it, Games Workshop?

Your last 3 sourcebooks for the game might beg to differ.

They don't even know themselves what gets released for Necromunda anymore...

Reactions: TopsyKretts