N18 Death Maidens, Pistols, and Toxins

OrcJuice

Juve
Jul 19, 2021
Indiana, USA
If this has been asked before, I apologize. Hopefully I can also ask my question in a way where it makes sense.

Let's say my Death Maiden (equipped with a Plasma Pistol & Stiletto Sword) charges a Goliath. Let's say her Pistol hits twice and the Sword hits once.

Can I administer all the Pistol hits first in the hopes of lowering his Toughness for the inevitable Toxic sword hit?

Thank you in advance.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Firstly, she should never be able to land two pistol hits as a Sidearm can only make one attack in any given combat.

Besides that, the order of resolution is not explicitly clear RAW. RAI however I believe all hits are simultaneous. Therefore flesh wounds won't lower the toughness until after the fight is done, so it really doesn't matter what you do first.

OrcJuice

Juve
Jul 19, 2021
Indiana, USA
Thank you for both the reminder for Sidearm and the clarification of the rules.

So, now I'm guessing if I understand how melee and sidearm and attacks work! A death maiden has 3 attacks. If she charges she gets a bonus attack (now I'm even second guessing that. I think I read free fight action and assumed that meant a bonus attack) and her sidearm gives her another attack for a total of 5, correct? Four attacks now that I think about it. Who knows, obviously not me!

Regardless, the pistol only gets one of those attacks, is that correct?

CaptnM

Juve
Jun 16, 2020
Regardless, the pistol only gets one of those attacks, is that correct?

Correct! You get 2 extra attacks (+1 for charging + 1 for the sidearm), only one of which can be made with the sidearm.

However, if it were another type of close combat weapon and not a sidearm, e.g. a power sword or a venom claw, you would have to split the attack dice evenly between the close combat weapons. It wouldn't matter with 2 stiletto swords (given that they have identical stats). ;)
Maybe this is why you allocated 2 attacks to the plasma pistol?

UncleFester

Ganger
Jun 12, 2011
Danville, CA, USA
Just to make it clear, a Death Maiden has an Attacks characteristic of 3. So it is a total of 5 attacks when Charging and using a Sidearm:
Attacks 3, +1 Charge, +1 Sidearm = 5 Attack dice.

Which would break down to 4 Melee attacks and 1 Sidearm attack.

Reactions: CaptnM and OrcJuice