Development discussion

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Also if we are keeping all the bonuses to trading post rolls please make it a D6 roll not 2D6. Seriously a leader and 2 champs is +4 total, add +1 for a skill and +3 or so for rep and 13 is regularly doable. Even with just +4 the average trade roll is 11 and it's called rare. With D6, 10 becomes doable but every 6th game makes it rare...

Edit: I'm way out of touch with development so will hold that suggestion till I read the 10+ new threads to get up to speed. Sorry if it doesn't belong here just rarity is a bit messed up in this version. Rare things are cool until everyone has them then you're left thinking what was the point? Same with xenos themed gangs, the odd one is cool but if half the campaign has a kroot/Tau/Necron backstory it gets a little difficult to weave in Narratives with the guys doing struggling ganger narratives.

Last edited:

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
I would suggest if this is the case, perhaps any unspent credits from that first thousand should be erased? Just an idea, of course.

Reactions: cronevald

Al_Weeks

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
We haven't discussed any of those topics yet, so fear not!
Fair enough, I feel to an extent recosting and moving away from the 'in progress' house of gang equipment list style etc although it may prove a nessesary route, it is likely to be the most controversial aspect of this project and that's just amongst us, let alone the outside world.

Thus my own opinion is that this should be done as part of phase 2 after the core rules have mostly been changed and accepted and that it should be done sparingly.

I disagree with a lot of GWs costs, but I realise that my opinion on that could be somewhat biased towards my favourite gangs. (Escher and goliath)

Plus once you start recosting you are open to the argument that everything should be considered for recosting. Where as targeted recosting for a very small number of items (reductions ideally for those items that don't see much play etc) is the most I would personally be with comfortable initially.

Recosting a lot of items is gonna get a lot of conflicting feedback from the wider community.

Once they've bought into rules changes/clarifications then there more likely to accept a few targeted cost adjustments.

Last edited:

Spenetrator

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Apr 2, 2018
York, UK
I think we should restrict creation of new threads. Anyone who wants to open a thread should ask for it here or in other appropriate thread.
Otherwise we are going to have duplicate threads or threads not related to YCE development.
Might also be an Idea to sticky links to each currently live thread in the development or writer's thread so we know what is currently being worked on.

Reactions: Orngog and Al_Weeks

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I would suggest a single post (hah!) that is stikied that has the topics being disucessed, links to those discussions, the people responsible for each area clearly stated and then the links to any external docs if thats how you are going with this.

That's how we set up the Imunda project a few years ago and it generally worked pretty well.

Reactions: Al_Weeks

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Was wondering about the change from Simple/Basic/Double actions to action points system. What would be the benefit of that? Is it merely a cosmetic change without any effect?

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I would suggest a single post (hah!) that is stikied that has the topics being disucessed, links to those discussions, the people responsible for each area clearly stated and then the links to any external docs if thats how you are going with this.

That's how we set up the Imunda project a few years ago and it generally worked pretty well.
I'll update the opening post in the stickied development discussion.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Was wondering about the change from Simple/Basic/Double actions to action points system. What would be the benefit of that? Is it merely a cosmetic change without any effect?
Yes, it's mainly cosmetic. I believe it should help clear some confusion and make the system easier to grok, but ultimately it doesn't change anything as to how the game works internally.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
The community has suggested the following plan for development:

1st Pass
Brainstorming phase. Collect suggestions per section/category:
2nd Pass
Go through all suggestions, make decisions on what to change/improve/clarify/rebalance.
Finally, we go back and forth between writing the rules changes, playtesting and proofreading.

Please comment if this should be changed or modified.

Last edited:

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
I would suggest that we get the newly-assembled playtest group to have a look at some of the more contentious/radical suggestions. This can be fairly laissez-faire, but it would be good to develop some team cohesion there- and it might give us an idea of what is/isn't worth considering.

On the subject of which, if we have any probability fans we could really do with crunching some numbers when it comes to particular modifier changes!

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Al_Weeks

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
As I mentioned on the shooting thread, I'm happy to perform and statistical analysis that is required to help the team understand the impact of proposed rules changes before deciding if they go forward with anything.

Maths/stats isn't the be all and end all of development but I think it's important we understand the effects of changes.

I've been working on the rapid fire change myself with some insight from a friend with a PhD in Stochastic Analysis.

Al_Weeks

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
Just to clarify this is for the more in depth stuff that requires more than just simple dice maths.

I'll try and present the findings in the clearest way I can.

Bear with me as I'm learning some new software as part of this..

• Love
Reactions: Icedman and Orngog

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Just to clarify this is for the more in depth stuff that requires more than just simple dice maths.
To be honest, I wouldn’t mind it being even a simple dice math. I certainly could use a refresher on that, hah.

@TopsyKretts , it is possible to present links in a cleaner way. Use insert url function and type text name. Like this:
General principles

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Well no, nothing usable in the print it off and read it sense.

I do think that this is an issue for later on as taking on the core rules will do a lot to balance things out I think- having said that, different prices of kit for gangs isn't a massive issue for me as it represents an amount of access to certain stockpiles that certain gangs would have as a result of thier preference and culture. Its not really a worthwhile address in my opinion as long as the trading post is a balanced source of kit.

Reactions: Orngog and Al_Weeks

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
on the subject of rare trade rolls, would anybody support removing the reputation modifier?