N17 Discharges of Grey Matter : Age of Strife to N17

GreyMatter

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Apr 3, 2014
Shanghai, China
Blood Gorgon Kill Team : Complete
Really enjoying being able to spend as much time as I want on building out characterful 40k units. Kill team is definitely becoming my favorite game at this stage and I see more projects on the horizon
kHKi0ac.jpg

. Flail Marine
ZdUiqrS.jpg

xV0scm6.jpg

. Squad Leader / Champion
. The new scale for the plague marine and primaries models really gives you more room for pouches/gear and other opportunities for detail
sI7wgC2.jpg

pyzuVNT.jpg
MFKZF9G.jpg

. Plasma Gunner
.. Was not a fan of the pear shaped design of the original plasma gun in the plague marine set.
.. Still need to work on painting glowing light sources though
3lQRRZT.jpg
6JAIb6E.jpg

. Blight launcher #2
Lr8G8Lt.jpg

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I cheat on plasma weapons and use a naturally bright blue or green for the plasma coils. My earliest ones were a magenta color but it dried up...

Gdolkin

Gang Hero
Jun 25, 2017
Nottingham
OSL recipe:
Blue: Paint light source Thousand Sons Blue. Drybrush on and around light source in a roughly circular motion in both directions with Ahriman Blue, Temple Guard Blue, Baharroth Blue, Skull white, then glaze on and around with 50/50 Guilliman Blue/Lahmian Medium. Don't worry too much about strict physical laws about light travelling in straight lines ;)
Red: Light source Khorne red, layer light source then drybrush on and around with Wazdakka red, then same with Wild Rider red, layer highlight light source further with Troll Slayer, Fire Dragon, finally Lugganath Orange, then glaze with bloodletter.
Green: Light source Sybarite green, drybrush around Sybarite green, light source Gauss Blaster green, drybrush around Gauss Blaster green, glaze all with Waywatcher green.
Examples:
In short, careful, selective drybrushing around the light source to diffuse the glow and glazes to tie it together and intensify :)

Last edited:

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
You did some AMAZING work. I can look at those are see how bad some of the mold shifts were and you actually managed to incorporate a few, bravo.

GreyMatter

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Apr 3, 2014
Shanghai, China
OSL recipe:
Blue: Paint light source Thousand Sons Blue. Drybrush on and around light source in a roughly circular motion in both directions with Ahriman Blue, Temple Guard Blue, Baharroth Blue, Skull white, then glaze on and around with 50/50 Guilliman Blue/Lahmian Medium. Don't worry too much about strict physical laws about light travelling in straight lines ;)
Red: Light source Khorne red, layer light source then drybrush on and around with Wazdakka red, then same with Wild Rider red, layer highlight light source further with Troll Slayer, Fire Dragon, finally Lugganath Orange, then glaze with bloodletter.
Green: Light source Sybarite green, drybrush around Sybarite green, light source Gauss Blaster green, drybrush around Gauss Blaster green, glaze all with Waywatcher green.
Examples:
In short, careful, selective drybrushing around the light source to diffuse the glow and glazes to tie it together and intensify :)
Thanks @Gdolkin
Will definitely try out you blue receipe/method for the another pass through on the gunner.

I think I need to apply more "slow and carefull" stages In general. I was rushing through at the end to get this squad done before some work/life stuff kicked off.

Reactions: Gdolkin

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Weird question here @GreyMatter but is that a black plastic Necromunda base? I asking as I’ve only ever seen grey up until recently and then all of a sudden I’ve seen black ones about, even in photos from GW events. Are you US based?

Just wondering if they have a different supplier from the UK and chose base black rather than sprue grey?

GreyMatter

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Apr 3, 2014
Shanghai, China
Weird question here @GreyMatter but is that a black plastic Necromunda base? I asking as I’ve only ever seen grey up until recently and then all of a sudden I’ve seen black ones about, even in photos from GW events. Are you US based?

Just wondering if they have a different supplier from the UK and chose base black rather than sprue grey?
The base is actually the standard grey plastic ones that come with the gang sets. I've been getting into the habit of base coating all of my figures when they are on the sprue, as its easier to handle and get good coverage. so i took all the bases from my unfinished gang sets and just rattle can based them black.

there are a fair number of resin bases that ive picked up at various points, that i havent yet base coated for some reason, which Im using for the vaan saar gang. But the yakComp entry is using one of these base coated standard GW base plus the wall that came with the GrimSkull sniper\assassin figure.

I'm based in China so we get lots of different (usually legal) options for materials and models, but I try to source stuff from legit sources as the alternative options usually involve toxic resin or similar shenanigans

GreyMatter

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Apr 3, 2014
Shanghai, China
Is that free hand on the bounty hunter base? That looks great. Love the whole style of the model. Great stuff. (y)
Cheers man! The poster on the wall is a water slide transfer from a gundam kit.

Moar WIP: Bounty Hunter + Body Guard
mKnQWSS.jpg

2pp07uZ.jpg

iZORXtI.jpg

HGCia8b.jpg

. CleanUp and highlights ToDo, then to weathering