N18 Do cawdor need armour?

locleos

Ganger
Apr 19, 2022
What are people's thoughts on fielding a starting gang's worth of cawdor without armour on? Anyone tried and have wisdom to share?

I'm toying with a cawdor gang like so; https://yaktribe.games/underhive/print/cards/292432?i=0&r=0&w=1

I feel like it's a good balance of ranged and melee (I gather that cawdor tends to run close-range spammy, and I feel that investing in the brute and the grenade launcher avoids this somewhat) but I'm leery about the lack of armour, especially when fighting old gangs like genestealers and helot cultists that get their armour baked into their price.

So what do you guys think? Ditching armour on cawdor yay or nay?

mateyboy3000

Gang Champion
May 29, 2017
On leaders and champions you're mad. Mine never leave home without at least mesh armour. You also can't start with a brute and need to hire him after your first game if you want him

locleos

Ganger
Apr 19, 2022
Yeah yeah, houserules and such.

I suppose I could find 5 credits somewhere, and then I'd have mesh on the leader...

SweetOrbMace

Ganger
Feb 18, 2019
I only ever give my leader armour at foundation (mesh). The rest of the gang need only their faith in the emperor! Though they do get armour from the trading post as soon as I can afford it…

It’s risky, but it seems right for Cawdor.

Stompzilla

Ganger
Jan 11, 2013
I don't even start my Delaque with armour.

At 15 creds a pop it's pretty cheap and easy to armour up a bit after a game or two. Better to get the more expensive gear that makes the plan work than armour at the start. 15 creds is easier to buy after game 1 than a web gun.

For Cawdor, maybe the leaders and champs can earn a bit of armour but you're much better going for boys over toys. You have magic, which is free, to keep your lads defended

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
As others have said, in any starting gang I try to give leaders and champions at least mesh, gangers and juves typically go unarmoured to start.

Jun 12, 2022
Leaders and champion yes. Others no. Make them earn their kit! Plus a almighty horde of meat shields, sorry gangers, acts as ablative armour for your bosses.
Too heartless?

May 25, 2018
Ebley, Stroud, England, UK
it might be better to give your bonepickers stub guns instead of the autoguns. sure it is only 1 shot but within 6" they are hitting on 3+, which makes a big difference.
it might also be worth dropping the zealot & a bonepicker (or somthing line that) for a champion with long rifle if you are playing on large boards as it makes a relatively decent cheap sniper?

Reactions: Stompzilla

locleos

Ganger
Apr 19, 2022
Stub guns is a good shout, sadly I like the flavour of reclaimed guns. Shrug.

I've never played on a board that needed more range than a grenade launcher, once you got away from the very edge. We tend to end up building boards that have the spires with good coverage sightlines sitting close enough to the middle of the board that if you put a sniper on the edge, he won't be able to see very much.

And obviously from a semi-central firing position on a 4-by-4 board, 24 inches is plenty. The twinlinked stubber is 20/40 range regardless so between it and the grenade launcher I think im covered.