Does the new IP Policy affect the Yak?

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
So does the new IP policy adopted by GW affect Yaktribe?

Intellectual Property Guidelines​

Warhammer: Beyond the tabletop

Games Workshop has been designing and selling miniatures and games for over 40 years. Our design studios have worked hard to create the unique settings and characters that are enjoyed by our fans all over the world.

We love to see fans enjoying all things Warhammer. We also have a duty to preserve and protect our intellectual property rights – this is the only way we can ensure that Warhammer will be around forever. Our goal is to do this while continuing to support the passion and creativity of our fans. We will level with you – this is a difficult balancing act.

So, whatever exciting Warhammer hobby activities you are working on, we ask that you follow the below guidelines at all times. By doing so, we can all continue to enjoy all things Warhammer for a long time to come.

These guidelines do not constitute formal approval or authorization of any fan content, or a waiver of our legal rights. We reserve the right to change these guidelines at any time.

Fan-fiction, hobby books and magazines
Individuals may write their own stories, hobby books and magazines based on our characters and settings, but these must:

• not include text, artwork or imagery copied from any official Games Workshop material
  • be non-commercial, with no money being received or paid. This includes all forms of fundraising activity, and generation of any advertising revenue
  • not be publicly distributed, except for no-charge digital distribution
  • make it clear that they are unofficial, without using any Games Workshop logos, and include the word ‘unofficial’ prominently on the front cover
  • not be prejudicial to the goodwill, reputation or integrity of Games Workshop or its intellectual property
Fan-artwork
Individuals may create their own artwork, drawings and designs, based on our characters and settings, but these must:

• not include artwork or imagery copied from any official Games Workshop material
  • be non-commercial, with no money being received or paid. This includes all forms of fundraising activity, and generation of any advertising revenue
  • not be publicly distributed, except for no-charge digital distribution
  • make it clear that they are unofficial, without using any Games Workshop logos
  • not be prejudicial to the goodwill, reputation or integrity of Games Workshop or its intellectual property
Fan-sites
Individuals may create their own fan sites based on our characters and settings, but these must:

• not include text, artwork, imagery, footage or animation copied from any official Games Workshop material
  • make it clear that they are unofficial, without using any Games Workshop logos
  • not post or display rules or stats copied from from any official Games Workshop material
Underlying rights

Please be aware that where fan content is created based on our settings and characters, Games Workshop retains ownership in respect of the underlying intellectual property rights in those worlds, and therefore such fan content cannot be sold or otherwise monetised.

Infringements

We have a zero tolerance policy in respect of infringement of our intellectual property rights. This includes:

• counterfeit models - our products must not be reproduced and sold.
  • imitation models - our products must not be imitated. Imitators produce models which copy heavily from Games Workshop’s artwork, books or products.
  • recasting and 3D printing - our products must not be illegally re-cast or scanned, nor should digital designs of our products be illegally produced and distributed.
  • Illegal downloads - our publications, audio books, and other material protected by copyright must not be illegally uploaded, shared, or distributed in any format.
  • unauthorised use of our trademarks - unauthorised use or registration of our trademarks in respect of similar products or services is not permitted.
  • Fan-films and animations – individuals must not create fan films or animations based on our settings and characters. These are only to be created under licence from Games Workshop.
  • Games and apps – individuals must not create computer games or apps based on our characters and settings. These are only to be created under licence from Games Workshop.
Reporting your concerns
There’s a lot of stuff out there in the world. If you see anything that you’re worried about or think that we should know about then drop us an email at infringements@gwplc.com. Please provide as much detail as possible and include links to the infringing material. We appreciate your support.

Can anyone who understands copywrite law explain how this might apply? Seems worrying....

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The bit about official logos and artwork may be problematic. Same with people sharing pics from official sources (like in the New Models Incoming thread…)

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
The bit about official logos and artwork may be problematic. Same with people sharing pics from official sources (like in the New Models Incoming thread…)
Yeah the tools have obviously used GWs imagery for gangs solely by their graces and they most definitely have a right to request those taken down.

The problematic parts though are the mention of Rules and Stats. To comply I would need to take down all ganger stats. The costs of the fighters and equipment might be considered ok so the actual management of the gangs could still be viable even just to build your gang with their equipment, but it would require the player to fill out their own cards, it makes the gang sheet and card printouts practically useless. Technically the costs of the fighters and equipment is part of the stats so if that were enforced as well then essentially the tools are useless.

To keep the tools as they are I would likely have to require every single user to add their own fighters and equipment as custom as they would then become user content exclusive to them rather than be provided by the tools.

In addition, the concept of an "app" could apply to the tools, which would also kill the site. This is a fan-made site, not any kind of commercial enterprise so licensing from GW would likely be rather expensive and probably be rejected anyway.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Is there anything concering a "fair use" policy, i.e. using images to discuss models?

Failing that, we'll all have to just link to the official GW website URL of the image(s) to discuss.

Artwork and logos (and rules) might be a big sticking point in the Vault PDFs, though, if GW reach that far.

If the PDFs have to be taken down, does anyone know how big a drive will be needed for a complete personal copy of the Vault?

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Reading that it seems anyone, doing anything GW related onlne, needs a licence from GW now! :mad:

Going to be a problem for a lot of youtubers as well as sites like this if GW start (carry on?) enforcing it. They sure know how to alienate their "community"...

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
That's the big problem, what can they legally enforce. They can claim whatever they want as far as their own policies but it's what a court decides in the end which matters. Of course a vast majority of the community can't fight anything in court so we're just forced to bow to anything they want. It's that way with most large corporations.

I remember you took off the special rules a few years ago - was that due to talking with GW?
Yes

• Sad
Reactions: Petitioner's City

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013

• not include text, artwork or imagery copied from any official Games Workshop material

That’s gonna make the NCE a bit problematic right there. (@Tiny)

Images we could probably draw new ones and take photos of our own models for demonstration purposes.

But by the looks of that - it’s gonna have to all be red text next edition!

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
I have to wonder about that "Imitation models" bit... it's hard to say that the Raging Heroes or Wargames Exclusive stuff (maybe the Greater Good) is an imitation but I'm guessing that's what they mean...

Reporting your concerns
There’s a lot of stuff out there in the world. If you see anything that you’re worried about or think that we should know about then drop us an email at infringements@gwplc.com. Please provide as much detail as possible and include links to the infringing material. We appreciate your support.

Ah yes, let's crowdsource the bloody inquisition; it's bad enough when people are reporting supposed "bias" to college admins, why not harness it for the poor widdle corporate giant?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jembo17

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
That’s gonna make the NCE a bit problematic right there. (@Tiny)
If it can’t be hosted on the Tribe I’ll host it off site and GW can sue me directly.

Although if I’m honest this just makes me want to write my own apocalyptic sci fi skirmish game and channel my energy into something that has nothing to do with GW past or present.

Last edited:

Mr. M

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
If YT is hosted in the US, and copyright claims would be dealt with by the US Copyright Act, here is how the "fair use" issue is addressed in section 107:

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Seems like YT is pretty good as far as (1) and (4) - especially since YT has most likely immeasurably increased the market value of the copyrighted work instead of decreased it. The other elements are where expert witnesses make there money, so who knows.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
I honestly don't think much has changed in their policies other than some updates focusing on creator content to get ready for WH+. For reasons @Mr. M highlighted, it's really in their interest to have something like YakTribe tools and community around (of course unless they decide to make their own gang manager lol)

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I'm paranoid enough to wonder if the recent "Income" thread in The Trading Post could have been GW lawyers on a fishing expedition, but not paranoid enough to believe that it was.

Reactions: MedMos

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Any chance they’ll just ignore us? Although there have been those recent weird posts by brand new members…

edit: I didn’t see @cronevald had already posted about it.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
I don't think the Income thread was GW, as those accounts were trying to make the site register as a non profit on some website somehow (didn't check the link, seemed like dangerous clickbait).

Plus, I don't think GW would waste their time posting on the forum in the first place, unless some parts are only accessible with sufficient posts (but I thought that was for posting image galleries and such).

I'm now paranoid enough to think about it, though...

Reactions: Mr. M and cronevald

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I think the whole thing has been updated to deal mainly with the influx of fan movies of late. I really can’t see GW coming after the tribe after decades of peaceful coexistence, and particularly after fan rules for a game almost 30 years out of print. They’ve all but given up going after people making miniatures similar to theirs for old games so would be weird that they go after fan edits of old rulebooks.

Willnox

Ganger
Feb 8, 2016
Rhode Island
Welp bye bye youtube creators lol

I think the "fundraising" portion of this pisses me off the most. There are some really nice nice folk who do like a 48 hour paint streams and all donations go to like...idk a cancer or alzheimer's research foundation.

This whole Policy from GW more just sounds like a list of...guidelines, they won't go after a forum that host 20+ year old rules that are out of print and they clearly do not care about. Come at me GW for my Warmaster and Mordheim Town Cryer scans bro fite me.

Last edited: