N18 Dominion Campaign: What the 250 downtime creds can be spent for?

Hi, in the rulebook isn't clear how to spend these credits. It simply say that you can spend these creds to recruit new fighters and hanger-on. So you can't buy new equips? You can buy equips only for fighters you buy with them? I think that they should be spent as the player wants.

irlZombie

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jun 14, 2017
Morley Western Australia, Australia
At this stage with about 10 fighters per gang and average equipment, nobody would be interested in new recruits (except brutes/pets/hangerons) and house weapons
True! Recruits as in hangers on, brutes, pets etc...

In the group I play with we limit trading post and black market access to try to keep the playing field level. Talk to your group.

True! Recruits as in hangers on, brutes, pets etc...

In the group I play with we limit trading post and black market access to try to keep the playing field level. Talk to your group.
You are talking about the campaign or these 250 only?
You do you, I'm just sharing how we play 😁

Edit: It seemed reasonable to us to restrict the gangs with lots of credits to prevent them getting further ahead of everyone else.
Yes we are trying to fix this too

irlZombie

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jun 14, 2017
Morley Western Australia, Australia
We only get access to anything other than the house weapon list every 2 or 3 rounds.

Our house rule is that when we do get a chance to trade, existing items can be sold at the trading post for half price rounding up.

It's a little more thematic - The gang is actually doing some trade at the market. Who wouldn't want to try to sell some junk and get some snazzy new gear!

boatie

Juve
Jun 15, 2019
We've tiered Downtime credits to good effect. We had 5 in a campaign, so the lowest got 250 credits, the next 200 and so on. It gave a small catchup mechanic, while still meaning everyone had something to look forward to. Proved quite popular.
We felt that Downtime credits were only for House Lists (which are always available), new House Fighters, Hangers-On, Brutes and Pets. Any of the [250] credits not spent were lost, but they could top up with their own savings. In practice people started hoarding cash about a fight or two in advance if they were eyeing up a particularly nice purchase, but that didn't seem to be a problem.

Giving everyone a flat 250 was too much for the first-placed gang, and just meant they developed an unassailable lead. By our third downtime he had 16 or so fighters, all with good gear, and so even if you put a fair number into recovery he was fielding full gangs every fight.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
This is a very strange concept. I've played a campaign that started 2 years ago and we never had "downtime" nor free credits. I think we can play perfectly fine without.

Reactions: irlZombie