N18 Dominion Gang Recovery Question

Sentinelatwar

Apr 20, 2020
Hi,

i am playing a Dominion Campagne with friends, today we played Cawdor vs Chaos Helot, team Cawdor got 5 of 5 guys out of action, his Leader, Champ and 3 gangers got recovery result on d66. He got 1 new Juve for his territory result. He challenge and recived 1 challenge this cycle.

my questions are

1. if he got challenge a third time and he declines, does his opponent get a free territiory?
2. is it even possible for him to fight with 1 Juve?

Mod- edited by cardyfreak

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy Ivan

Ganger
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands
His gang is literally down to just the Juve? No-one else left? Does he even want to continue like that? I'd say he'd be better off either restarting the gang or some serious arbitrator intervention is required, as that doesn't seem fun at all.

I assume that as he only had 5 guys, the campaign is either still very new or he's gotten very unlucky in previous games as well?

If he doesn't want to restart because of the narrative possibilities, I would advise the Arbitrator to give him something to have a fighting chance for his next few games...

Reactions: Petitioner's City

Galtarr

Gang Champion
Mar 1, 2017
Sounds like he still has 6 fighters but only one the Juve, not in recovery. We've never got that low. But something we have done when down to 2-3 fighters is choose shoot-out its a great suspenseful scenario which works with only 2-3 fighters per side. With only a juve I'd either let him get a random character out of recovery or roll up a hive scum to give him 2 useable fighters. It'll still be a brief uphill battle but at least it'll be meaningful.

Generally, we don't let people choose shoot out as its too short a mission when players have gone out their way to meet up for a game but it suits a situation like this.

Reactions: Crazy Ivan

Sentinelatwar

Apr 20, 2020
He was down to 1 Juve, rest was in recovery.

We played it (in our opinion) RAW, he accepted the challenge and bottled voluntarily after the first round, so he got some xp, thornes and his gang is out of recovery and his opponent got xp, thrones and the territory

Reactions: Crazy Ivan
Feb 12, 2019

We played it (in our opinion) RAW, he accepted the challenge and bottled voluntarily after the first round, so he got some xp, thornes and his gang is out of recovery and his opponent got xp, thrones and the territory
If I remember right. RAW he has to at least lose someone, or have someone critically injured so he can voluntarily bottle. I don't think you can run without suffering some level of casualty.

Anyways, if he hasn't accepted the challenge, technically no battle happens so there's no recovery. . Which is dumb and I just slap a band-aid on it like, "Some time has passed. Yer good for next time."

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK

If you use underdog bonuses (be it just the cards, or the more full list of options), he'd have had some sweet bonuses - which would have evened the fight. As a cult person, there are some nasty outlaw dramatis personae (the eightfold harvest lord being amazing, or a generic bounty hunter) he likely could have hired, for example, or lots of hive scum (up to five).

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Isn't underdog bonuses calculated from gang rating, not crew rating? Which is very dumb, because even when playing with the solo juve, the opponent fielding a full gang could receive the underdog bonuses instead!

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Depends on how you do them :)

We've always done crew rating (but even this leads to odd situations). For new campaign, having a lower crew rating equals more tactics cards, lower crew rating and lower gang rating means access to underdog benefits.

Sentinelatwar

Apr 20, 2020
crew or gang rating is scenario specific, sneak attack is gang rating and tunnel skirmish is crew rating for example

Sentinelatwar

Apr 20, 2020
If I remember right. RAW he has to at least lose someone, or have someone critically injured so he can voluntarily bottle. I don't think you can run without suffering some level of casualty
VOLUNTARILY FLEEING
When making Bottle tests, a gang can choose to
automatically fail. Once bottled out (either voluntarily or failing
a Bottle test), any fighter can declare that they will flee the
battlefield at the start of any Action phase.

i dont think you have to suffer casualties to flee

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
crew or gang rating is scenario specific, sneak attack is gang rating and tunnel skirmish is crew rating for example
It usually depends on whether or not a gang may get reinforcement during the game. Scenarios with reinforcement (ie variable crew size) tend to use gang rating while others use crew rating. There may be a few counter-examples though.
This, of course, begs for an house-rule. Whether the scenario uses reinforcement or not, fighters currently captured or in recovery should never count towards the rating that is used to determine the underdog bonus.

As you quoted, you can opt to fail any bottle check you are required to take, but you only have to take a bottle check if you have suffered at least one casualty (SI or OoA fighter). You can, however, voluntarily fail even bottle checks that you would normally automatically pass.

Feb 12, 2019
VOLUNTARILY FLEEING
When making Bottle tests, a gang can choose to
automatically fail. Once bottled out (either voluntarily or failing
a Bottle test), any fighter can declare that they will flee the
battlefield at the start of any Action phase.

You don't take bottle tests until you proc it with a casualty. Hence, you can't willingly flee as you have no bottle test.
Rules as written, you can't just up and run, you have to take a hit.

End Phase 1: Make Bottle Test (If Necessary.)
Rulebook said:
At the start of the End phase, either or both players will be required to make a Bottle test for their gang if one or more of their fighters are either Seriously Injured or Out of Action.