N18 Downtime Scenario Idea

SumpRat

Gang Champion
Apr 23, 2013
Looking for some feedback on this. Our Downtime is gonna be a month long, so want to get this scenario down pat before we roll it out, idea is the juves go scrapping. Trying for a high risk, high reward style scenario, with a heavy rule of cool vibe (hence no rewards for the Hunter's side). It's a mix of the Game of Death and the Running Man. I'm a little wary of players pushing it a little too far with the Venators, but i trust my guys to not take the piddle.

As for designing rules for the aliens, mostly standard weaponry with a couple of swapped traits. Any particularly cool rules i'll allow (if you've got a skyboard and want flight, go for it!). Chewing the fat and someone suggested a rule like Carnivorous Regeneration, if you take an enemy fighter out of action with a Coup de Gras, you gain +1 wound. Stuff like that i'm okay with. Whereas master crafted gold plated plasma pistols is something i'm gonna be avoiding.

Zone Mortalis

- The Juve Run

‘Whilst they sit in the Stranger’s Tower waiting to meet the delegates, the Xenos races have little to do but try to communicate with each other. As soon as a common tongue was established, a debate between the various races started, based on who is the best warrior. Many boasts were made, but no resolution was ever forthcoming. Rather than have it spill into bloodshed, a message was sent down to the House Clans. Send your best, your smartest, most cunning, toughest members to compete in the Gauntlet, a series of traps and challenges designed to determine which of the Xenos races is the best.

The humans, having heard this, sent in their own challenges, the best of each House, to try to prove humanity is the greatest hunter of all. Each fell in various ways, butchered by traps, murdered in combat, slowly bleeding out in a dark corridor after a grudge ending knife to the ribs. It was only after a Goliath Juve managed to not only survive, but win the gauntlet, that the other Houses began sending their own Juves. It is unknown whether the Goliath’s intentionally sent a Juve as a calculated, arrogant, insult, or simply didn’t understand the request, but the tradition has caught on amongst the other Houses.

And so, in the tunnels below the Stranger’s Tower, a series of fatal, brutal games take place, to determine the dominance between Humanity, or the myriad of Xenos who trade with the them. It is said that more than just the lives and pride of the competitors are at stake, and contracts of incalculable worth have been granted based simply on the winner of the Juve Run. For the competitors, simply surviving is reward enough, the fame and recognition they receive catapulting them to the ranks of legends.

Welcome to the Juve Run.’

Battlefield – The number of Sectors is the total number of players + 1. A single sector is 4 Tiles with standard set up, and a square 2x2 layout. Each “Sector” needs to be unlocked, using the following rules. If the Hunter is defeated, the next sector is immediately unlocked. Each Sector also has a Control Panel placed by the controlling player of that Sector, which can be used to unlock the next with a passed intelligence test.

Crews – Each player must enter a single Juve and a single Xenos Hunter (using the Venator rules). The juve himelf is free, yet can be equipped with weapons from the stash, or bought from the trading post or House Weapon List. The Xenos Hunter is recruited using the standard rules. Any special rules for load outs can be used with Arbitrator’s approval.

- Juves get D3+2 advancements, the Hunter gains d3, using the Ganger advancement table. A double 1 will allow a random roll on the Primary Advancement Table, a double 6 allows a picked Skill on a primary table, or a random roll on a secondary table. The Hunter’s skills are both picked.
- When their sector is opened, the controlling player uses their Hunter the same way they would a normal fighter, with the intention of stopping the juves in their tracks.
- When a Hunter is activated, the owning player uses them like any other fighter, with the purpose of preventing any of the Juves from reaching the final sector.

Tactics Cards – Players pick one and draw one for their juves. Hunters don't receive any.

Deployment – Shuffle the Hunter cards into one deck, and randomly determine the order they deploy. Players can then set up their sector using the standard set up for terrain and doors. Then they deploy d3 loot caskets, and d3 frag traps anywhere in their sector, ensuring each one is correctly marked, but other players don’t know which is which. Then all juves are deployed within 3 inches of the first Sector’s board edge. Players are encouraged to treat other juves as friendly yet can interact as though they were an enemy fighter if they so choose. The Infiltrate Skill will only work on the first Sector.

Not Friends, Not Enemies – whilst Juves are encouraged to treat each other as friendly fighters in the spirit of completing the Run, they’re also free to attack each other if needs must. In multiple combats, a juve can choose to assist another, or to interfere, as though they were an enemy combatant. When shooting, a juves treat each other as the nearest enemy fighters, so much pass Cool Checks to shoot at targets which are further away. Tactic Cards which effect enemy fighters will also affect rival juves.

All Eyes On Us – Juves are immune to bottle tests, but must take Nerve Tests if a rival juve is seriously injured, or taken Out of Action within 3” of them, by another fighter. If they caused the injury roll, they ignore it. Territory boons do not apply to the juves.

Inhuman Speed – The Hunters can be activated every time three juves (rounding up) have been activated, per turn. This means 3 juves would grant the Hunter one activation, 5 would grant the hunter 2 activations, and so on.

Dibs! – Juves can spend a simple action claiming a loot casket rather than open it. This can be cashed in at the end if they survive the Run.

Objectives – Juves must fight their way through each Hunter’s sector in order to make their way to the end of the Run. When they get to the final Sector, they can choose to split the loot, or fight to determine a final champion.

Ending the Battle – The battle ends when all juves have left the battlefield, either via the door in the last Sector, or by more violent means.

Fleeing the Battlefield – Juves are immune to bottle tests but can voluntarily bottle out. If they do so the controlling gang loses d6 rep (to a minimum of 1).

Victory – The juves who leave the last sector win. Note, if the juves all go Out of Action before they reach the final sector, they are considered to have lost.

Rewards

Credits – Each juve who completes the run gains d6x5 credits. Each Sector a juve completes gains an additional d6. Each loot casket cashed in earns an additional d3x5 credits. If they survive to the last Sector, any juve that was taken OOA by another Juve gives the attacker half their total credits earned.

Experience – Each juve which took part gains 1 XP. Any juve that completes the run gains d3 XP + (1 for each sector they survived).

Reputation – Each juve that takes part gains 1 reputation for their gang. The juve who takes out the most Hunters gains 5 rep. Each juve that survives gains +1 rep per Sector. If all the juves all go out of action without completing the Run, they have brought shame on their House and their gang, each gang loses 1 Reputation. If they voluntarily bottled, they lose d6.

Survivor – Any Juve that survives the Gauntlet can join the gang which sponsored them through the gantlet. The gangs rating is altered accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: sedits and Paupoi

Valnar

Juve
Feb 5, 2019
Roma, RM, Italia
So after reading it thoroughtly thinking about it for a while, I think that there a couple of points that you should want to address in the rules to better clarify them:

- You should address how gangs that cannot buy a Juve (Venators, Chaos, Genestealer Cults) can play this mission, as allowing them to take a ganger instead might be unbalanced (especially for the Venators). This might not be a problem for your group, if you don't have players with these gangs, but it is needed to further generalize the rules. I think it might be OK to get inspiration from the rules regarding the territories boons in the Dominion campaign system:
- A Genestealer Cults Juve follows the rules for an Orlok Juve
- A Chaos Cults Juve counts as a Cawdor Juve
- A Venator gang can choose its juve from any house list

- You should rule a value limit for this juve (I guess that they and their equipment are free), otherwise players might equip them with all sort of items in the hope of redistributing them among their gangers if the Juve survives the run.

- You should clarify what happens if you claim a create without opening it and it is not a loot create but a frag trap. I suppose it goes off and explodes, but it might be worth saying that in the rules.

- Isn't the reputation bonus for taking out the greatest number of monsters a bit too high? 5 reps is A LOT of reputations, especially because, if that Juve survives, its gang is likely to gain 10+ reputation and thus open up at least 1-2 new slots for brutes and hanger-ons after a single scenario. This might well be intentional, however.

- I wouldn't allow to the juves the possibility to bottle out: they are trapped in a dungeon with all sorts of monster for a bloody game, there's nowhere to run.

- What happens if the Juves open the door of a sector and reach the following one? Does the monster of the first sector stays in his own, or does it follow them in the second one? If so, can the Juves close the door behind them to slow it down?

- If each player brings a monster, and the number of sectors is greater than the number of players, is the last sector meant to be monster-less? Just an arena for the players to battle among them?

- I also think that it might be interesting to add a points system (first things that come to mind: 3 pts. dealing the killing blow to a monster, 1 pt. securing a loot create, -1 pt. trying to secure a frag trap) so that the surviving Juves can be ranked from "strongest" to "weakest" and awarded prizes accordingly. Wht do you think?

I hope these small reflections can be a source of inspiration for you, as your ideas were a source of inspiration for me!

Reactions: SumpRat

Valnar

Juve
Feb 5, 2019
Roma, RM, Italia
Also: how do you plan of keeping track of the players' priority order? I was thinking of using a deck of cards (only 1 suit), making each player draw one card at the beginning of the turn, then going the from the player that drew the highest to the player that drew the lowest.

SumpRat

Gang Champion
Apr 23, 2013
There was an initial system idea that would allow the use of Gangers or Champions after the Juve Run was complete, essentially using the Venator Gang tables to create the Hunter. Gangers would mean using the champion table, with an extra skill and d3+1 stat increases, whereas Champions would be against leader profile with d3+2 state increases and two additional skills. They’d be real end level stuff then.

Interesting point about redistribution, I was tempted to add a point about a dying Juve doesn’t get stuff to the stash, and canny be taken to the Docs. They’re left for the aliens to keep as trophies.

Frag traps blow up the way they normally would, i’ll add that to the scenario to clarify, thanks for the heads up.

Not letting the juves bottle is cruel and unusual. I love it, that’s getting added.

Good call on the Rep, by removing the voluntary bottle, it removes the repmpenalty, so i’ll Change that to +1.

If they open the sector early, they now have two monsters to deal with, rather than one. Great if you think you can slip past, not so great if you’re already struggling with the last one. I like the idea they can close it behind them to keep going whilst Monster 1 tries to chase through, or deal with the current distraction.

Last sector is empty aye, it’s a question of whether or not everyone decides to stay, or decides to fight it out and take all the winnings.

I really like the idea of a league table, so i’m Going to be stealing that points system idea. Good shout.

Priority is actually a good catch I hadn’t considered, I originally planned to do it based on the standard priority, but with the Hunters multiple activations that might get a bit finicky. The card system could work better. I’ll give that a test on the weekend, see how it works.