Dragon! Dragon! Dragon!

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
You have to be a bit of a Pratchett fan to "get" the title of this thread...

Anyway I digress.

For a while now, since playing Skyrim for the last 11yrs and watching Game of Thrones, I have wanted to buy a Skyrim/GoT looking "dragon" miniature. Your chosen deity knows why, it'll probably take me months to paint and I'd have to find a space for it somewhere...

But to me it seems there are a number of problems with obtaining such a "dragon".

1. Skyrim and GoT's "dragons" are in fact wyverns - 2 back legs, wings.
2. Most dragon models are not wyverns, they're dragons, i.e. 4 legs and wings. There seem to be very few wyvern models around.
3. Any wyvern models around are a bit on the expensive side - Andrea Miniatures do one (for their Joan of Arc game iirc), it's huge, which leads to another point below, and it comes with an equally huge price tag.
4. There's a proportion discrepancy in most dragon miniatures that I can't get over, well two actually, the wings are often not large enough to look realistic, and even if the model is huge, the head's never look big enough when compared to a figure of the same scale as the dragon. I was watching GoT again the other night and there's a scene in one of the first season's episodes where Arya Stark ends up hiding behind a dragon's skull, and it's massive in comparison to Maisie Williams, who at the time was 13, and probably 4' 12", and also a couple of other average height adult male actors in the scene.

I've seen a couple of 3d print dragon/wyvern miniatures, but again, they fall foul of the above.

Anyone here know of a Skyrim/GoT style wyvern miniature, in 28mm heroic scale (i.e. GW scale) that doesn't have the problems I described above (i.e. unrealistically proportioned head and wings and massively expensive)?

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: trollmeat

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Well, I learned a thing, I thought Dragon and Wyvern were interchangeable. I didn't realise there was a leg/wing distinction.

With regards to the question, there is a bit of an odd out-of-the-box suggestion - Schleich, the toy maker, do some excellent dragons/wyverns. They're toys, but they're detailed (you could add more detail) and they are easily stripped and repainted. For example:

Wyvern!.PNG

We used Schleich toys as our D&D monsters for years!

With regards to scale... well... they're dragons. They can be huge or teeny. So it's a matter of taste.

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Honestly, nowadays the Schleich Paintjobs are surpsinglich (!) good in themselves.

Sure not Golden Demon, but better than some things you see on proper Minis on tournaments, sometimes.

Some additional Wash&Brush already will make them pretty decent, oftentimes. Or, ofc. a complete repaint.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
My understanding is that wyverns have two legs and are simply vicious animals. Hence are used by orcs. Dragons are 4 legged and are intelligent. You can talk and reason with them, and all that good stuff. Riding them is by negotiation and mutual agreement, not training them from birth.

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
In shadowrun there's a novel named "Never deal with a dragon."
In the sense of "don't get involved with them."
Prudent advice, probably. :D