Equipping Muties (Tactica)

Zeebogie

Ganger
Nov 13, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
You could always swap that loadout with
Seeker - Jezail and Arbalast (or Caliver)
Keeper - Jezail and Arbalast (or Caliver)
3 Snagas with Calivers
or
Seeker - Fusil
Keeper - Jezail Caliver and Harbegeon
3 Snagas with Calivers
which would be both be good loadouts IMO but I personally find Fusils fun and the scatter dice if you miss makes the fusil effectively get a second 5+ to hit on a vehicle adds a bit of the Gorkamorka silliness to muties (my Seeker has 'accidentally' exploded several boys running back to their truck with scrap)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben_S

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
so my standard mutie run for a starting mob is
Seeker - Fusil
Keeper - Jezail and Fusil
3 Snagas with Calivers
total 98 teef

I don't bother with hth weapons until someone gets either toughness or wound upgrades as I don't like the risk, generally I find that the keeper will take out a vehicle pretty quickly and having the two heavy guns on him almost makes for mobs actively trying to avoid him (they see one volley then realise he's got a nasty backup when the seeker shoots),

I take calivers as I find the sustained fire is more of an advantage to the extra 6" an Arbalast gives and is safer than how close you have to get for the Arqueba (generally you will find more pistols than shootas and kannons are trying to fire back so 18" with 16" movement is more than enuogh). The one downside of this run is that your Keeper getting captured can totally break a campaign due to mutie weapons selling at full price so even if you rescue him there is now a 36teef difference between yours and the capturing mob (believe me ive had this happen and actually then had my seeker captured during the rescue, captured is by far the worst roll for mutie keepers) and you will more than likely never recover and if it happens early on then the mob that got the bonus 18teef will usually be the steamroller
That's about how I equipped mine. Except I think I took Arbalasts just because they are cheaper and got grenades instead of the Fusil. Muties are very dicey. One early casualty (or worse Capture) and it's make a new mob time. You are right there. You really do have to play them as hit-and-run raiders. Sticking it out to make bottle tests is rarely worth the pain.

Reactions: Zeebogie and Ben_S

Zeebogie

Ganger
Nov 13, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah hit and run is how you gotta do it, I've never really ended up with grenades yet, I generally aim to save for a sixth body first then depending on advances (you usually will have a few by the time you save 11-15teef) will work out what to get next

Reactions: Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Agreed with those suggesting ranged skirmishers over close assault. The ability to move long distances and fire at a decent range can't be easily ignored. Firing while running without needing a distinct skill is useful, especially when combined with template weapons that deviate instead of outright miss. Also not to be forgotten, the being-harder-to-hit modifier for running about.

Keep distance, avoid being swarmed, aim to grab some loot, and keep distance, and avoid being swarmed. Kiting and terrain.

So for equipment? Longer range guns with moderate stopping power over short range with more. Krak grenades on any Unks [range and the Mutie grenades rule give decent 'accuracy' on the run]. Grip nets for scrap as soon as can be bought [to help with getting scrap counters]. Only bother with assault gear if/when models advance such that they become obvious assault monsters.

Sound reasonable?

Zeebogie

Ganger
Nov 13, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Agreed apart from the krak grenades and grip nets. Although mutie grenades are better, 6teef for something where I'd have to be within 10" is not money well spent IMO, I would be more inclined to spend it on a weapon customization and possibly extra ammo than grenades and grip nets while useful in theory I've found that the only time they come in handy is if you are assaulting the fort, otherwise battles are usually over before one model needs to carry two bits of scrap so generally I'd go for more stopping power before grip nets

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Whereas I was thinking of having one model picking up scrap behind your own "skirmish line" rather than diverting multiple Muties to do it.

More stopping power does have merit too, however. Mind you, neither grip nets nor weapon upgrades become available until after at least one scenario.