N18 Eschers from the forest

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Hello!
As some may know, I had a plan to make Escher stylized into Amazons/Wood Elves.

Now I'd like to have their wargear optimized (I have no experience with them, never played them with or against, all my knowledge is theoretical), and also I have a quite limited supply of bits.
I have two incomplete basic Escher kits (4 sprues) and I managed to create about 14 bodies. No weapon packs, though, but I can convert something.

Their theme is to be rather backward, with no super-shiny guns or blades. All is dirty, rusted, neglected, overgrown, "natural".

Now, what are my options:
Leader: is pretty much hard-set to be a ranged fighter, as it fits their lore & style. She's too precious.

Champions: I wanted to make one a dedicated melee fighter, and the other also a ranged fighter with a boltgun, but changes can be made here.

Prospect: I have several wood elf bows, so I can make two prospects easily, yet I have no kitty-cats for them. I can substitute that model with a plastic tiger toy I have on my shelf, but that's it. I might buy the kit later, if I like the way Eschers are played.

Death Maiden: Sadly, no bits for her, nor I don't see a way (yet) on how to make her thematically.

Gangers: I have several spare lasguns, pistols, and blades, changes can be made with little issues, including some special weapons.

Juves: Same as above, but without the special weapons.

Any toughts, please?

Pierric

Gang Champion
Jan 22, 2020
Berry, France
Hello Hawkins,

There has been no more wood on Necromunda, and for thousand of years. The planet is overly wasted and polluted. Underhives are mainly crumbled industrial settings let to rot.

So by "natural", you would mean "metallic". I think you could develop a very interesting thematic "amazones" gang by going neo-tribal and post-industrial (but without such material as wood or feathers).

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
I understand your point, citizen, but by natural, I really mean wooden, neo-tribal, prehistoric, because they really live in a jungle.
The Glade Sisters settled in an abandoned hydroponics and AdMech bio lab research center, that, over years of neglect, turned into an indoor jungle.

Like this, but grimdark
LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.jpg

Pierric

Gang Champion
Jan 22, 2020
Berry, France
I have no clue what the Glade Sisters are, but that sounds interesting (apart from the grimdark of course...:ROFLMAO:). And this could lead to other several original gangs, like explorers, safari hunters, a jungle brand of ratskins, etc.
Nice concept.

Aeshma

Jul 28, 2018
London
Morning Hawkins, I've gone Neo-tribal with my Escher, based on the old Mordheim amazon models. The fluff I came up with for this is that they live in an over grown urban jungle ( bit like above) created by the output of all the Spire air conditioners; hot, humid conditions of all those units creates a huge fungal jungle, ideal for Escher to get their poisons (I also love the idea of the Spire dumping their nasty humid hot air on the plebs below). GW did about 3 different ranges of Amazons, so there are quite a few models if you're going for a distinct look.

My approach below, excuse the clumsy modelling and painting, restarted after a hiatus of about 15 years.

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I understand your point, citizen, but by natural, I really mean wooden, neo-tribal, prehistoric, because they really live in a jungle.
The Glade Sisters settled in an abandoned hydroponics and AdMech bio lab research center, that, over years of neglect, turned into an indoor jungle.

Like this, but grimdark
View attachment 123792
This is an amazing concept! Also badzones could be represented “jungles” overgrown with carnivore plants. Your gang’s ancestors were outlawed and exiled into these unfriendly parts of the underhive.

Reactions: Aulenback

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Glade Sisters
The name of the gang. They call themselves Glade Sisters. For now, at least.

@Aeshma great concept, I like it.

@JawRippa Yes, that's what I meant, more or less. It's not all carnivorous plants, but they have some as well.
The original concept was they settled the lab during natural expansion, yet the fruit messed with their heads a bit, and they severed ties with others. They are, ironically, healthier than others, as they eat various fruits and not just corpse starch and protein bars. I did not finish their lore entierly, as I'm shaping it out. I'm thinking they were abducted by the wealthy as slaves, servants and for their reproductive health (similar to Handmaid's Tale story)... Something along these lines. They are very defensive, uncooperating, distrusting, and have very limited access to technology, all while being picked on from the outside. They are forced to trade for some supplies, though, so they may often exchange fruits for weapons and some advanced supplies...

Thank you all for your inputs.
It is one great experiment. If I like how it all comes out, I'll expand it, adding the Prospect kit, and perhaps even adding a few nude models for the juves. A girl needs to prove herself to get her first armored bra, haha.

modelling thread here.

Last edited:

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
Well, I imagine it more like Pierric, that living wood as we know it will be a very rare exception on Necromunda. And if it does, it will be imported from other planets very expensively. Wood will be precious. Most likely in the top, for example as old wall paneling, historical desks and the like.

But nothing is impossible. Nature always finds a way. For example, a former algae farm that is growing hidden somewhere. Perhaps it has mutated in millennia. Or exotic plants introduced. With so many unknown abandoned domes, it is conceivable that there are old greenhouses or the like somewhere whose exotic plants suddenly start germinating again after the dome is opened. Or maybe there are scientists and laboratories involved in breeding and conservation.

In any case, it's a very nice and interesting project.

Reactions: sumpthing

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I personally like the idea of a lost forest dome. With Amazonian Escher. Imagine the exotic drugs they could create from those botanicals. And maybe they could make small fortunes to supply their criminal enterprise by selling real wooden trinkets to nobles uphive. Offworld import fees would be all profit when it’s really coming from a “lost dome” on planet.

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Thanks for the ideas, pardners!

As I mentioned before, it is a bio lab and hydroponics ran by the Mechanicus that were growing fruit plants and crops and gene-engineering them so they could grow better in the conditions prevalent in the damp, cold, and dirty underhive. AdMech abandoned the station in haste for some reason, and without their supervision, and with water valves still open, and circuit breakers still closed, it thrived and grew, soon reclaiming the whole installation.
The Eschers moved in and settled down, clearing some of the rooms of the foliage, making glades, orchards, and using the wood to make huts to live in.

The center figure of their religion is the Eartmother, a mortal soul blessed by the wood spirits acting both as a spiritual leader (shaman, possibly psyker too), and the gang leader as well.

Them trading with wooden trinkets, pendants and other doodads make sense. They venerate nature and pray to forest spirits, yet they surely here and there cut a tree. They are hard-core isolationists, cutting ties even with the Escher house itself so they would trade out of necessity, and everybody will try to rip them off and take advantage of them. Who knows a wooden trinket is sold for 7k credits in the spire, the Eschers get hardly 50 credits for a single piece, and they'll even be happy about it.
They will use psychotropic substances too, yet all of them are made of natural things, sometimes with simple processing.

I might actually write it all down and make an article about them when I get bored, just as I did about the Enforcers and all other things. (Link in the signature)

----
This thread derailed pretty quickly. Can we discuss the original purpose now, and that is the loadout, please? :)

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Ahhh... well, as an ORB grognard I can’t help much there. Although I’d think wild runners with bows and pets would be right at home. Death Maidens would be anathema. Poisons of non-synthetic origin would be common. For fluff I’d max out the wild runners and toxins.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Sticking to the list at hand (just list my thoughts).
- Drop the leader's laspistol for an autopistol, it's just better imo.
- Spring Up will be way better on your 'Assassin', if you don't want to duplicate skills get 'Boomstick' something different instead.
- When it comes to armour, jump to Mesh or don't bother.
- Wyldbows are hot garbage from a gameplay perspective, and even worse when you consider their price. I mourn this fact daily.

Reactions: Hawkins44

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Good ideas there. Death Maiden “traits” and “skills” but from a different angle than the “semi-zombie” fluff. You could even consider them “bolstered by forest spirits” or to borrow other fluff “hive spirits of the forest dome”.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Interesting idea - running sump-ward, we have masses of fungi [where N95 gets "wood substitutes and analogues], assorted leafy death-world plants [brain leaf fungus, for instance], moulds and algae, slimes of all sorts, but again, note the wood-like fungus and the leafy fungal and death-world plants, wire-weed, lumenmoulds, stinger mould, and so on, and so on.

Really, it was written back in '95 and '97 as an excuse for having what looks like wood and what looks like leaves on models in Necromunda. It's fungus that LOOKS like wood and LOOKS like leaves. There. Sorted.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. M

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Maybe there’s a cursed island in the middle of the dome with a solitary ancient oak tree. Anyone attempting to get the treasured wood would have to dare the curse of oak island.. 😇

• Haha

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
It’s not really an inside joke. But there’s a tv show about explorations on an island that just happens to be in @Aulenback ’s neck of the woods. The show is called The Curse of Oak Island and it’s centered around the hunt for buried treasure (I happen to watch fsithfully).

I’d imagine acorns from a real Terran oak tree on Necromunda would be priceless. And real oak grips or hilts would be true status symbols for a gang.

Is the location on your profile for real? My father’s side of the family is from Bohemia (or what used to be Bohemia)

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou