N18 Eschers, narrative, back to N17

Godard

Mar 22, 2018
Toulon, France
Hi back, guys !
After a break of a year and a half, I'm back, and going full Necromunda.
So I'm still using gang wars, and I have taken a look back at my gangs. It's not optimised to death as I don't think Necromunda is the place for this !

The idea is that juves are as capable as a gangers, given the right (toxin) weapon, and the Eschers need number. That's why I have two !

I like the Eschers and the assault part of them, but they are lacking in diversity of good assault weapons.
I took some firepower, and gave my champs some agility abilities to help them get in the right place at the right moment. I want my leader to fight so no boring overseer, she is going to help take advantage of my number.
I tried a mix of shooting and powerful melee, and to play with iconic House weaponry.

Do you see any particular issue with this gang ?

Mar 8, 2019
A few thoughts

Why autogun on your leader? The lasgun is much cheaper for the turn or two of long range plinking you'll do before she gets in close. Same with the autogun ganger, that saves you 20 creds, you already have 15 stashed so you have 35 to spend.

Give the poor gal stuck with the fighting knife something better, 5 creds more would give her a stiletto knife but I'd recommend dropping the melee weapon entirely, you have two juves with knives already, you dont need another, shotguns are always a good call for supporting your melee gals

All in all I think it needs more teeth, melee is ok if you can get in but it's not easy and certain gangs (Goliath, Corpse Grinder, Ogryn Slave) will flatten you anyway, you have very few weapons hitting at S4 or equivalent, and those you do our quite close ranged (shotgun, needle rifle) the range is more to keep in mind, but again the three gangs above will give you lots of trouble without some bigger guns, Shotties are good for S4 on the cheap, plasma is better if you can afford it, even if it's a plasma pistol or two amongst you leader/champs

Scabs

Ganger
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
IF you retain the original N17 Toxin Trait, you've quite a viable gang. IF you don't, and use the twice nerfed "modern" Toxin Trait, meh.

Back in the day, thanks to the original Toxin, the all female Escher gang was top tier. After two Toxin nerfs, they've broken through the Glass Floor, and just aren't all that, anymore.

Next best is Acid rounds.

Last edited:

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
After two Toxin nerfs, they've broken through the Glass Floor, and just aren't all that, anymore.
I dunno, the needle rifle having silent, ignoring number of wounds remaining and the -2 to ap (and +2 at 9") is still a very respectable weapon imo. To me a prefer them to a bolter as damage isnt a problem when you ignore wounds, and -2 is more useful for longer than -1 on the ap.

MrAndersson

Gang Champion
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
In a post-House of Chains world, where the risk of running into enemies with toughness 5 (and even 6) has increased dramatically, Toxin is a much less reliable damage dealer than it used to be.

Scabs

Ganger
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
I dunno, the needle rifle having silent, ignoring number of wounds remaining and the -2 to ap (and +2 at 9") is still a very respectable weapon imo. To me a prefer them to a bolter as damage isnt a problem when you ignore wounds, and -2 is more useful for longer than -1 on the ap.
It's aight, in the right circumstances. I ain't hate'n on Eschers. Just say'n they were pretty spunky, now they're kinda funky. I've every feeling that once the World gets back to normal, the House of Blades is gonna turn the Escher's world on its head.

Godard

Mar 22, 2018
Toulon, France
Hey, thanks for your interest !
So I assembled my gang in 2017/early 2018, but I couldn't play for long because of some real life events (actually good ones). But now I'm back and my interest in Necromunda is still super high.
So yeah, it may not be the best gang ever haha

I actually found the free PDF with all the changes the new rules bring, so I have 0 reason not to use them (except if you tell me I should keep the "old" version).

Why an autogun ? Because I really wanted not to play too many lasgun, which is lame for such a game as Necromunda, and later in game I could get cool ammo, and it looks cool.
I thought if I have only one or two rounds of shooting, then maybe rapid fire would help with actually making it count ?

I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can change the knife ganger for a second shotgun ganger maybe !

Reactions: spafe

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Surprised that people are playing N17 in 2020!
Why an autogun ? Because I really wanted not to play too many lasgun, which is lame for such a game as Necromunda, and later in game I could get cool ammo, and it looks cool.
That is the best reason to have some autoguns in your gang. It looks cool and adds character. A gang with only lasguns has as much character as a squad of guardsmen.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
@Godard is your group playing with the Put Away the Clippers rule (no changing weapons)?

If you are then I would look at dropping some of the weaker secondary guns and just save up for better guns during the campaign.

If not then your list looks ok, but could use a few tweaks.

The autogun on the leader could be left off and I would save up for a better long range gun after a few games. I would also look at a different skill than commanding presence as large group activations aren’t that useful and keeping fighters close enough together to use it, especially at short range, will leave you open to template and blast weapons.

The champion with stiletto sword and autopistol looks like a cheaper copy of your leader. Nothing wrong with this, but if you only want to take spring up once I would probably give it to the leader and give the champion step aside, dodge, parry, or sprint.

The ganger with Stiletto Sword and Lasgun should really pick to be either a close combat fighter or long range shooter and drop one or the other. I’d take the lasgun and spend the 30 credits elsewhere.

Your shotgun ganger is 145 credits!!! That’s about the same price as your two champs for a ganger. Drop the photo goggles and save 35 credits at the start and pick them up after a few games.

Tactically it’s better to give the smoke grenades and photogoggles to different fighters so that one can throw the smoke and the other can shoot through the smoke in the same turn. Also your shotgun is one of the best/expensive guns you have so you don’t want her wasting a turn of shooting to lay down smoke.

The ganger with fighting knife and photon flash is a waste of money. She will die before she gets to use either of those weapons. For the 30 credits they cost give her a shotgun and she will do more damage and bird control.

The juves look alright, but the autopistol won’t hit a lot and to be honest they are pretty effective close combat glass canons with just a stiletto knife. The stubgun is a better choice and can get dum dum rounds to take on T4 opponents.