Fallen empire mage/necromancer.

Mar 19, 2020
Melbourne
Hi Yaktribe,

While I wait for the materials for my 3D space hulk project to arrive, I indulged in a little side project...

I am keen on making a Mordheim warband, and I read that undead warbands were beginner friendly.

I also like the old zombie sculpts and the unusual combination of characters in terms of vampires, humans, ghouls and zombies operating as a single ragtag group.

I ordered some of the new ghouls, to both use as intended and as dregs (with a bit of conversion work), I printed the rule book and I began converting my necromancer from some old empire parts.

I kind of just made it up as I went. He has ended up as a kind of fallen mage looking fella, which plays to the flavour text that mentions wizards/mages on the run. So perhaps that's what he is.

Here he is and his base, which I also had a bit of fun with.

IMG-20200418-222523-214.jpg

IMG-20200418-222828.jpg

Will have to think of possible conversions for the vampire, write a list and get some zombies + ghouls painted up.

Cheers,
Al

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't know whether undead warbands are all that 'beginner friendly'. I wouldn't have thought them obviously so, but I don't have enough experience really to say. They are fun to make though. This is a nice start here.

Reactions: Alligator in a Vest
Mar 19, 2020
Melbourne
I don't know whether undead warbands are all that 'beginner friendly'. I wouldn't have thought them obviously so, but I don't have enough experience really to say. They are fun to make though. This is a nice start here.
Fair enough. The opinions I read online felt that not having to choose equipment for the majority of your warband and treating them as fodder made the undead a more forgiving warband to play with. I guess it doesn't matter too much, as making the models is fun, as you say.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I suppose they're simple in that respect, plus you being able to ignore most psychology. But being pretty slow means you can easily be out-positioned by your opponent and the lack of experience advances can hurt in a campaign I'd have thought.

Reactions: Aulenback

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Great start there!

Undead are a fun opening warband. You get a awesome leader with brilliant stats, a little magic, some robust (and cheaply replaceable!) henchmen. Overall really good.

Some tips are to max out on henchmen, give your vamp a sword (thats all the blender beast needs!) and your other heros some shortbows for range as a nice to have when you can. Ghouls are the best henchmen followed by a couple of dire wolves to support your boss. Zombies make up the rest as a sponge to protect the heros.

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Yes, you are right! Sorry, that was a bum steer! MAx out on heroes!

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
I suppose they're simple in that respect, plus you being able to ignore most psychology. But being pretty slow means you can easily be out-positioned by your opponent and the lack of experience advances can hurt in a campaign I'd have thought.
Zombies are just filler until you can afford big numbers of ghouls and wolves. Wolves have the longest charge range in the game. And ghouls gain xp and can march. The necromancer can get a movement spell as well.
Cheaping out on equipment for the dregs and necromancer and hiding them at the back should keep you in the fancier henchmen as the campaign goes on.

This is what I noticed going up against undead anyway.
Although I am planning an undead warband for frostheim if the lockdowns eased. So will be spying on this thread for inspiration and tips.

Reactions: spafe
Mar 19, 2020
Melbourne
Great start there!

Undead are a fun opening warband. You get a awesome leader with brilliant stats, a little magic, some robust (and cheaply replaceable!) henchmen. Overall really good.

Some tips are to max out on henchmen, give your vamp a sword (thats all the blender beast needs!) and your other heros some shortbows for range as a nice to have when you can. Ghouls are the best henchmen followed by a couple of dire wolves to support your boss. Zombies make up the rest as a sponge to protect the heros.
Thanks for the tips! I have been very busy at work lately, but will probably look at writing up a list soon. When you say other heroes, I assume you mean the dregs? Or shotbow on the necromancer as well?

Reactions: Aulenback and spafe

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
On necromancer too, keeps him safely away from the action.

Reactions: Aulenback