Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Armada - Anybody here play it?

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
I've got some X-Wing models but never dabbled into Armada. Is it closer to the game play BFG?
Im not sure tbh I’ve never played BFG. I’ve tried X-Wing and a lot of the mechanics are similar but a game takes longer 1 to 2 hours rather than 30 mins.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I've got some X-Wing models but never dabbled into Armada. Is it closer to the game play BFG?
No, nothing like BFG. honestly it's very similar to x wing. a slower pace of game as befits the difficulty of changing momentum of ships that size compared to xwing, but overall, same mechanics. The main change is that rather than having a move token for each ship, each ship has a number of tokens, so you set movement for the next 2 or 3 game turns, as changes to orders takes time to take affect, so you set an order one turn, but act the order you set last turn or two turns ago.

Otherwise a lot of the shooting, shields, etc etc are xwing.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
I've played and enjoy Armada but don't own any of the models. I do play X-wing, and one of my X-wing buddies has an extensive collection, So we generally just play with his ships. He argues Armada is more strategic compared to X-wings positional emphasis. Which seems fair from my experience. Sadly having committed to X-wing, I haven't really got budget for another game of spaceships, and Armada seems the costlier of the two to get into. Plus our gaming club has a much more established X-wing than Armada scene.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
So for the next game in the Orange corner we have;

27968F13-286D-4CDD-8D15-B17E73E9A854.jpeg

Going for a blunt hammer with the Starhawk, and two snipers with the Nebulons. GR75 is there to support and repair, with a few fighters to slow down the imperial scum!

A pretty cool thing we’ve started doing is sharing our fleets the week before (At the same time) so you can plan your victory and read up on all the rules and strategy’s etc for the upgrades selected - the big fight is this Monday night, I’ll share the Evil Empire Fleet once my opponent sends it through in a suitable format.

Reactions: MedMos and spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
What a wretched flight of scum and villiany!

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
The ENEMY.

04C24D07-C827-4B7B-A570-35E52873DF92.jpeg

He had the lower bid, but chose to go second. So I had to pick one of the three objectives all of which his fleet is designed around. Meh! Went with Abandoned Mining Facility.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Chalk up another victory to the Troll! 215 pts to 150 pits or there abouts to take a 5/2 league in the ongoing war.

Just about managed to keep on target while the opposing fleet tried all kinds of cheaty shenanigans like adjusting my speed with gravity wells and actually trying to score objectives and not just going for the kill! Madness.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Armada Fleets for tomorrow nights game 21/09/20;

Armada Steve’s Fleet

@ClockworkOrange Fleet

Steve had the better bid (lower points used) so chose to be 1st player and go first, he therefore has to pick from my objectives and took planetary ion cannon on the basis it’s the only one that doesn’t hurt his deployment too much - sound choice.

Pressures on Armada Steve now, I’m leading 5-2 in games since we started playing again! Muhahah