Drag to reposition cover

Necromunda Fat guy at the Gym, Paupoi's Painting Thread.

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
Hi and welcome all to my miniature painting thread-blog-sumpthing. If you came here to peep at beautiful painted miniatures you are not in luck. This is a thread for all of you lurkers, the procrastinators, the ones who cannot muster the courage to start painting cause "there's people so freaking skilled at it!!!".
Go and paint some plastic! Them pro painters are inspiring, not depressing, take your time if you need to but start painting, keep on painting until you finish something, enjoy that feeling of actually reaching your goals and go for another mini! Post your stuff, show your conversions, show your mistakes and improve! This is not a race, its a journey.

I've always been crap at any artsy labor. The guy who got C- at whatever you got for art class in your country.

Yet I love Necromunda, so when N17 came around I decided I would not let my plastic toys stay grey and boring. Grey is the color of failure, if you cannot get at least 3 colors in a mini then how do you expect people to want to join you for games?

Knowing my poor skills and lack of knowledge I pushed myself to get my minis to tabletop painting.

Now in 2019 I've joined the FYSC19 and aim to finish all 6 gangs by the end of the year. Sure, its not really impressive but its enough of a stepping stone for someone who until last year had not touched a brush in decades.

First a picture of the minis I painted when I was a young teenager.

And the ones I painted halfway thru 2018

Sorry about the bad quality pictures!

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
After painting Orlocks I saw that the colors I used were too brownish and I discovered I needed a strong color to make the minis pop, I did so with the Orlock leader by adding yellow to the Servo Claw.

So with the newly adquired knowledge I went and did my Goliath.

Once again its mostly base colors, then applying shades, didn't feel courageous enough to do highlights.

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
Afterwards I started painting Van Saar, which I found no fun at all to build and paint, so I did a bunch of them then waited for Forgeworld weapons to arrive.

Here's what I got so far.

I tried to apply some kind of neon like highlight and tried my hand at making plasma look like plasma, still not courageous to actually try OSL.

Other stuff not pictured, I've gone and magnetized my escher! but that's something to talk some other day.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I must say, there is a marked improvement between your "teen" stuff and your current stuff! Practice practice practice, eh?

Van Saar were that bad? I've thought about them as upgrades for my ORB van Saar gang (like if they get carapace armor), but that's about it.

Reactions: spafe

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
All the recent ones look pretty good to me. I agree it helps if they're bright enough to pop a bit though. If everything's all grimdark then it's easy to fail to notice them on the table.

Reactions: Paupoi

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
I must say, there is a marked improvement between your "teen" stuff and your current stuff! Practice practice practice, eh?

Van Saar were that bad? I've thought about them as upgrades for my ORB van Saar gang (like if they get carapace armor), but that's about it.
No practice! Just having actual tools, I don't even remember if you could buy shades/inks bottled back then. Plus I check tutorials on youtube and this very site now!

I hadn't painted a single thing since I was a teen. Nor I wanted to, I just cared too much about not being the best from the start. I don't give a shit now I just want to play with painted minis, and any paint beats no paint.

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I just want to play with painted minis, and any paint beats no paint.
Back in 2nd edition 40k, I used to take that attitude. My Blood Angels were just red all over, on the basis that was better than grey. Some had black guns and a few other 'details' but I wouldn't call them fully painted. I suppose it was better than completely unpainted...

While I'm nowhere near the standards of most people, I've improved a lot since then just by managing basecoat and washes. It's fine on the table.

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
Back in 2nd edition 40k, I used to take that attitude. My Blood Angels were just red all over, on the basis that was better than grey. Some had black guns and a few other 'details' but I wouldn't call them fully painted. I suppose it was better than completely unpainted...

While I'm nowhere near the standards of most people, I've improved a lot since then just by managing basecoat and washes. It's fine on the table.
Ben! your Blood Angels carried their colors which is good enough for me! Anything beats plastic grey :).

I follow the rule of 3 colors at least. Just priming something and calling it a day is not painting at all! Say my Orlock are grey,black, blue and brown then copper and metal. My Goliath are red, black, green and brown then copper and metal. I got tired of using metallic paints so for my Van Saar I used green, grey, red and pistachio, then covered the grey with a purple shade.

As long as you use more than two colors the miniature doesn't look like you gave up halfway there. Mine are far from done (haven't done eyes! or highlights! they lack details upon inspection) but they are good enough for tabletop I believe.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Fiddly as they are I really like the Van Saar, I got extra boxes of those and Delaque. I may use the excuse of needing the new heads to keep waiting but I honestly like building more than painting... anyway, there is a marked improvement in your work in just the 3 gangs you've done. By the time you get to Enforcers you'll be painting eyelashes :3
Seriously though, great work and I'll be following to see more. What you have here is very solid for the table and gameplay.

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
Alright, since my weekends are actually Sunday-Monday and I convinced my SO to stay home instead of going hiking or whatever it was that she thought I would want to do on the day I could rest, yesterday, I managed to finish my fast and loose munitorium container. I would normally not post as many pictures but hey...

First off a picture of what I had done early this year, base colors, some poor thought drybrush.

Now pictures of what I consider the finished product: Washes, Ryza rust'd, Typhus corrosion'd and added some posters and graffity. I also tried my hand at OSL, I still have much to learn!

Final picture.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Looks really good but I think you went a little too heavy on the OSL. Though it may look better in a darker environment.

Reactions: Paupoi

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
Looks really good but I think you went a little too heavy on the OSL. Though it may look better in a darker environment.
Hahaha, you are too nice. I think I should have used a circular motion. I also would benefit from using more colors so as to fake a color degradation as light changes with distance. I suck at color theory so baby steps.

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
I like a good old bright scheme - none of this Grimdark nonsense (y)

Reminds me a bit of the old Polo Harlequin!
View attachment 78272
I like to think that since they are spiders, they gotta use flashy colors. The truth is I don't know what I'm doing and piece together a bunch of colors... you should see what I did to my Eschers when I started out painting N18, what a mess!! I didn't have the courage to finish them!

Reactions: Stoof

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
Last edited:

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
So, I found Van Saar rat tails kind of fiddly and I'm somewhat of a brute so I decided to magnetize their bases in order for them to not clash with anything during transport and stuff. I decided to use the hole at the bottom of each base, but I bought 3mm magnets and the hole is apparently ALMOST 3mm cue another trip to amazon for a manual drill so as to make them fit.

Alright it works.