Feeding the Tribe (Gardening thread - Off Topic)

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Two dozen chickens arriving in a week and a half. Rainbow basket of mixed layers, and one Dominique rooster with 6 Dominique hens, all chicks. The instructions say to keep the chicks hot. I think I should keep reading.

EDIT: Yakspouse not happy, no loonng vacations to hot sweaty places anymore. :)

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Got 600ft2 of 30 year old sheep manure (2" thick) cleaned out of my Barnhammer. Chicken coop going in, Big Box had sale on pavers, 4 for a buck, so I found out how many an F150 would carry (400). Bases for my coop fence/walls, putting in breeding pens...then I can clean the other 2/3 of the barnhammer...

EDIT: new gang: "The Chickens"?

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Everyone else seems to do stuff on much larger scale... This year's 'crop' for us was limited to a small batch of spinach until today. We have a small community farm nearby and they were selling tomato plants - 75p each but buy one get two free. And some pots were two plants too. So, for £1.50 I bought six pots which were actually ten plants.

The main reason for the sale was that they were still in pretty tiny pots and need repotting. But we have five large pots in the garden and a compost bin that rarely has anything taken out of it, so I just got working on that. It was absolutely full of worms though, which I gather is good for the compost. I'm not sure the worms will like their new homes though - in fact, I fear they will probably get baked.

Does anyone know a good way of getting worms out of compost or do I just have to put up with this?

Reactions: ThreeDice

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Everyone else seems to do stuff on much larger scale... This year's 'crop' for us was limited to a small batch of spinach until today. We have a small community farm nearby and they were selling tomato plants - 75p each but buy one get two free. And some pots were two plants too. So, for £1.50 I bought six pots which were actually ten plants.

The main reason for the sale was that they were still in pretty tiny pots and need repotting. But we have five large pots in the garden and a compost bin that rarely has anything taken out of it, so I just got working on that. It was absolutely full of worms though, which I gather is good for the compost. I'm not sure the worms will like their new homes though - in fact, I fear they will probably get baked.

Does anyone know a good way of getting worms out of compost or do I just have to put up with this?
You could sieve the compost.

Reactions: Ben_S

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
One of the "joys" of having an allotment is every now and again some scrote decides to brick your greenhouse. Spent a few hours cleaning up the broken glass so one of the lads on the plot can safely replace the broke glass. he's a retired greenhouse fitter and has a stash of glass just incase.

I did find a silver lining as I hadn't realized the french beans were ready to harvest until I was cleaning up. There was also two melons starting to form!!!

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
Health tipped from moving rubble and sifting/moving earth. Beans in, pumpkins in and galloping away. Herb container for cooking and teas, but all things the bees like, too. Stripping ivy and learning how to shape the hedge. Ideally it all needs to be cut right down and retrained, but with our neighbour that's not going to happen.