Feeding the Tribe (Gardening thread - Off Topic)

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Two dozen chickens arriving in a week and a half. Rainbow basket of mixed layers, and one Dominique rooster with 6 Dominique hens, all chicks. The instructions say to keep the chicks hot. I think I should keep reading.

EDIT: Yakspouse not happy, no loonng vacations to hot sweaty places anymore. :)

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Got 600ft2 of 30 year old sheep manure (2" thick) cleaned out of my Barnhammer. Chicken coop going in, Big Box had sale on pavers, 4 for a buck, so I found out how many an F150 would carry (400). Bases for my coop fence/walls, putting in breeding pens...then I can clean the other 2/3 of the barnhammer...

EDIT: new gang: "The Chickens"?

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Everyone else seems to do stuff on much larger scale... This year's 'crop' for us was limited to a small batch of spinach until today. We have a small community farm nearby and they were selling tomato plants - 75p each but buy one get two free. And some pots were two plants too. So, for £1.50 I bought six pots which were actually ten plants.

The main reason for the sale was that they were still in pretty tiny pots and need repotting. But we have five large pots in the garden and a compost bin that rarely has anything taken out of it, so I just got working on that. It was absolutely full of worms though, which I gather is good for the compost. I'm not sure the worms will like their new homes though - in fact, I fear they will probably get baked.

Does anyone know a good way of getting worms out of compost or do I just have to put up with this?

Reactions: ThreeDice

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Everyone else seems to do stuff on much larger scale... This year's 'crop' for us was limited to a small batch of spinach until today. We have a small community farm nearby and they were selling tomato plants - 75p each but buy one get two free. And some pots were two plants too. So, for £1.50 I bought six pots which were actually ten plants.

The main reason for the sale was that they were still in pretty tiny pots and need repotting. But we have five large pots in the garden and a compost bin that rarely has anything taken out of it, so I just got working on that. It was absolutely full of worms though, which I gather is good for the compost. I'm not sure the worms will like their new homes though - in fact, I fear they will probably get baked.

Does anyone know a good way of getting worms out of compost or do I just have to put up with this?
You could sieve the compost.

Reactions: Ben_S

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
One of the "joys" of having an allotment is every now and again some scrote decides to brick your greenhouse. Spent a few hours cleaning up the broken glass so one of the lads on the plot can safely replace the broke glass. he's a retired greenhouse fitter and has a stash of glass just incase.

I did find a silver lining as I hadn't realized the french beans were ready to harvest until I was cleaning up. There was also two melons starting to form!!!

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
Health tipped from moving rubble and sifting/moving earth. Beans in, pumpkins in and galloping away. Herb container for cooking and teas, but all things the bees like, too. Stripping ivy and learning how to shape the hedge. Ideally it all needs to be cut right down and retrained, but with our neighbour that's not going to happen.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Bit of a shock but I may be a lot closer to becoming a farmer/market gardener than I was a week ago. Spent some time at the in-laws with the wife staying behind for a few extra days to have a well deserved break. She's just got back with the news that the in-laws are considering buying us some land in Wales to make a go of the pipe dream we have.

First time in years I have that butterfly feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Bit of a shock but I may be a lot closer to becoming a farmer/market gardener than I was a week ago. Spent some time at the in-laws with the wife staying behind for a few extra days to have a well deserved break. She's just got back with the news that the in-laws are considering buying us some land in Wales to make a go of the pipe dream we have.

First time in years I have that butterfly feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Flattering article on the BBC on the Welsh industrialists and the prevalence of their naming in America and Austrialia. :)

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
I used to think there were some die hard tolkien fans naming towns around the world. Funny that Turns out it was just welsh.
Die hard British Imperialists of/to which the Welsh were contributing. :D

Qualify my response, most of my education about the Welsh was from "How Green Was My Valley".

Also, it should be "British Industrialists", no?

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
Lost some pumpkin due to the strong winds, but we have a few goodly sized ones. Ecstatic about that, and the seeds will be harvested for next year, where we will try growing from seed.

Our plums were few, but out of this world. Never tasted a plum that wasn't from the supermarket and it was mind-blowing. Didn't get to save any stones, but will hoard them next year. None of us were expecting it to thrive in the garden as they don't like sea air, but it's done exceptionally well.

Dog is stealing all the apples.

Tomatoes came to nothing.

Digging out tree roots in short bursts. Pain is high, running out of time to get things done.

@=][=SW1=][= That's fantastic! Wonderful news. Good luck to all of you.

Reactions: MedMos and Kitcar

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
On the hunt for land within a reasonable price range and with schools near. Could be a bit of a long search. But it's not just me looking now but the wife and extended family!!!

In other growing news ... I have a lovely pair of melons! :p ;)

View media item 35539

They were were left to ripen on the vine and are sweeter than any melons I've had in years.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
while i like nice, big melons as much as the next guy, i don’t seem to recognize these. Are they cantaloupes?
They're a variety called Arava and we got 3 decent sized melons from the plant with a few extra ones trying to mature but unlikely unless we get a load more warm weather.

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
Sooo...you grew airborne pumpkins? Are you a tree elf? :D
Short. Bearded. Angry. More like an anaemic dwarf.

Pumpkins were harvested about a week ago. We only have four of the beauties, but it was a first time in less than ideal circumstances, and we've leaned a lot, so it's definitely been chalked up in the win column. They still have a few weeks to harden up, but very much looking forward to pumpkin pie, and growing from our own seeds next year. We are also planning on trying some other varieties, too.

More earth has been sifted. We only stopped today because of the rain.

Fence posts and laurel for the hedge will arrive in the next couple of weeks. Also been given permission to extract ivy from next door. It's very much in their favour, and we will get nothing for the hours it will take remove, but as long as my home is protected, I don't really care.

First pond will be emptied and extended. It was dug when I was just a juve, and since I've learned a lot more and have proper tools now, I'm very excited for this. The pond brought so much life into our garden that it changed the fabric of our garden, so to do it justice and correct my past mistakes is going to really bring some new life.

Compost heap has been nixed. It wasn't wanted by others, and whilst I disagree with it, not much I can do apart from put it in the book of grudges and pick other battles. The perfect place for a heap will instead house a ridiculous bench. Bleh!

Will be building some more raised beds when the pond is dug, and we have a few tonnes of free topsoil coming in the next month a la a builder friend from a job he's on. We get soil, he's saved a massive bill. Win win.

Have built an earwig home to teach the kids about the fascinating and highly unusual behaviour of the insect. Mixed results; one of them is terrified with unhelpful, hysterical parents, the other completely uninterested. Two more are mildly curious, and want to see babies before they commit. Gave them a good scare with a scatter of isopods; they are harmless but breed like crazy, so you lift some rotten wood and masses of them explode in all directions. They liked that. Hysterical parents didn't.

Second pond has been cleared of weed and some overgrown plants. Lovely, clear water showing a lot life. It's been nice to sit out and watch the frogs, toads and newts do their thing.

Bats are back in force, and we have some close owls, as well.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Short. Bearded. Angry. More like an anaemic dwarf.

Pumpkins were harvested about a week ago. We only have four of the beauties, but it was a first time in less than ideal circumstances, and we've leaned a lot, so it's definitely been chalked up in the win column. They still have a few weeks to harden up, but very much looking forward to pumpkin pie, and growing from our own seeds next year. We are also planning on trying some other varieties, too.

More earth has been sifted. We only stopped today because of the rain.

Fence posts and laurel for the hedge will arrive in the next couple of weeks. Also been given permission to extract ivy from next door. It's very much in their favour, and we will get nothing for the hours it will take remove, but as long as my home is protected, I don't really care.

First pond will be emptied and extended. It was dug when I was just a juve, and since I've learned a lot more and have proper tools now, I'm very excited for this. The pond brought so much life into our garden that it changed the fabric of our garden, so to do it justice and correct my past mistakes is going to really bring some new life.

Compost heap has been nixed. It wasn't wanted by others, and whilst I disagree with it, not much I can do apart from put it in the book of grudges and pick other battles. The perfect place for a heap will instead house a ridiculous bench. Bleh!

Will be building some more raised beds when the pond is dug, and we have a few tonnes of free topsoil coming in the next month a la a builder friend from a job he's on. We get soil, he's saved a massive bill. Win win.

Have built an earwig home to teach the kids about the fascinating and highly unusual behaviour of the insect. Mixed results; one of them is terrified with unhelpful, hysterical parents, the other completely uninterested. Two more are mildly curious, and want to see babies before they commit. Gave them a good scare with a scatter of isopods; they are harmless but breed like crazy, so you lift some rotten wood and masses of them explode in all directions. They liked that. Hysterical parents didn't.

Second pond has been cleared of weed and some overgrown plants. Lovely, clear water showing a lot life. It's been nice to sit out and watch the frogs, toads and newts do their thing.

Bats are back in force, and we have some close owls, as well.
We got seven pumpkins. Cantalopes fed the wildlife..