Feeding the Tribe (Gardening thread - Off Topic)

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I got the broccoli plants from my brother in law, who grows quite a lot of it each year, however he has a river with a duck pupulation at the bottom of his garden and a pond which the local frogs use as a brothel, and both eat slugs with wild abandon. He does have to protect the plants from the ducks though (and rescue the occasional duckling that fits through the mesh).

Reactions: MedMos and Ben_S

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Garlic liked it cold. Last year I planted some that sprouted in the fridge too. Right about this time, and they started out ok, but once summer heat kicked in they were done.

Reactions: Stoof and MedMos

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
We didn't manage to harvest all our garlic last year, so this spring little clusters were dotted around the patch. Just a matter of splitting them out a little and doing some weeding and voilà! Garlic for months.

Reactions: Ben_S and Stoof

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
So, an update here that actually covers a while.

I built a raised bed, planting area of about 9 feet by 3 feet. No point trying to grow anything in the soil here as it's almost entirely compacted clay. The planter is in a sunny spot - it gets sunlight from dawn until about 2pm most of the year, so a nice growing location.

View attachment 132422

The plant in the slow cooker pot at the edge is a strawberry. They kept breeding last year so I have seven or eight strawberry plants in pots around the garden. The three plants in a line on the left are broccolli, and the three against the wall are tomatoes. Tomatoes, outside, in the North East of Scotland. Not my idea - My father in law thinks they'll do fine - I did point out that he grows his in a greenhouse. Time shall tell.

I have garlic growing in a pot as well - I found some forgotten cloves in the fridge that were sprouting and I figured if it can grow in my fridge it can grow in the garden.

I have carrot seeds and pea seeds to plant in the remaining space, but haven't got round to it yet. Need to get that done!

My roses are doing quite well, no flowers yet, but last year they were diseased and horrible with black spots all over the leaves. I pruned them right back to almost just stumps and half expected them to die, but they've really stood up to the challenge and are a lovely deep green (with no fungus spots!)

If your tomato problems are similar to mine - where they grow, but don't ripen - it might be worth looking into green tomato chutney. Admittedly, I'm not in your locale.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Not that I’m an expert but for tomatoes the temperature that they ripen at is between 20-25 degrees Celsius. If it is colder than 13 or higher than 29 degrees they stop ripening on the vine.

If you live in a colder area you can try moving your plants to sit next to a west facing brick wall that gets full afternoon sun and it might raise the nighttime temperature near the plant due to the thermal mass of the building.

Tomatoes can also be picked as soon as they start to change to red and ripened off the vine at room temperature.

A couple of other tips (that should also work for other plants):
1. of a plant has fruit on it it shouldn’t have flowers at the same time as flowers stop the ripening of fruit. Either remove all the unripened fruit or remove all of the flowers.
2. remove any dead, injured or sick leaves. The plant is losing energy keeping them alive which could go into ripening the plant.
3. If the plant has fruit then remove new green growth from the plant. Just like flowers the née growth is pulling energy away from ripening the fruit.
4. don’t fertilise it when it has fruit. Fertiliser encourages new green growth which is bad for ripening.
5. Reduce watering it when the fruit should be ripening.