Feeding the Tribe (Gardening thread - Off Topic)

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Naked Star Gardening Wars... that could be a thing. Like a new version of the old 70s show “Battle of the Network Stars”

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
Helping me mam get her herbaceous border in; Dogwood, Yarrow, Aquilegia... something, something. I'm mostly just breaking up the ground for her, but getting twitchy as I've a lot to do on the bean area, and perhaps pumpkin area. Certainly won't be doing that naked.

Marsh Buttercup is a bit unruly in the new pond; it's expanded out and growing into the lawn, turning the area boggy. After cutting it some the ground seems to be springing back again. Will experiment at some point with methods of propagating the Buttercup, but for now just got to get on with the grunt work.

Reactions: =][=SW1=][=

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Well just had the third proper harvest off the same sowing of salad leaves. Got over 1.1kg which combined with the 1.9kg from the other two gets 3kg of leaves. Trying to work out an equivalent value and if I class 100g as £1 worth of salad (it's about that price in the shops for really sweaty week old bags of leaves) it's already paid for the compost I put in both the big communal greenhouse where it's growing and the small glass greenhouse on the plot. By the time these stop cropping I'll have probably covered the cost of all the compost I've used on the plot from this one sowing.

There will probably be at least another two or three harvests before it either flowers making the leaves too bitter or the plants I'm going to stick in to replace them get big enough to need putting in.

So I've already planned for this and today sowed another batch of salad leaves to stick in the outside beds. I'll probably do the successional sowing every two weeks for the rest of this month and part way through next month. I'll then have to stop as the weather will get too hot for these salads and need to switch to other salad leaves or possibly different lettuce. Will then be able to start again in late August early September.

Might have a look at micro-greens for any gaps I have in production.

First harvest of cucumbers today as well. Probably could have let them get bigger but the youngest two kids scoffed them straight off the plants!

Peppers are trying to flower already but there a bit small so I've whipped the flowers off. Should end up with much bigger plants which will give bigger yields.

The toms are flowering and I think there starting to set the first trusses so I'll have to start feeding them soon.

Started with 6 melon plants gave 2 away to the mother in-law and just found ones failed. But the other three are looking healthy.

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
I'm trying to get the family sold on micro greens; we have a kitchen conservatory roof and French windows, which would be ideal for a nice little production line, but no dice so far.

@=][=SW1=][= SW It's really interesting reading your entries; I'm taking notes.

Our pear and plum trees have shed their blossom and fruit is starting to form in the very early stages. We noticed some blotching on the leaves, a sample of which we took to the people we bought the trees from as we're inexperienced with them. Turned out to be evidence of a mite that's a common thing, apparently, as our recent winters have not been cold enough to kill them off. We've been told they are not harmful to the tree, and will not damage the fruit. The apple trees are still in glorious blossom.

There seems to be a lot of bird life back in our garden that's been missing for a number of a years. Not sure why that is, but it's been lovely of an evening to watch them around the areas we've been working.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
The kids have just decided to try some of the salad leaves and between them they all like atleast one new leaf type. Going to see if I can get some more varieties of leaves to grow.

Funny to think these seedlings have already cropped over 3kg ...

full.jpg

They're almost ready to harvest again and I only cropped them back on Tuesday. I didn't heavily crop them though so they looked like this after harvesting the outer leaves ...

full.jpg

Could have taken a lot more in but wouldn't have used them and aiming to now crop on Tuesdays and Fridays so were eating as fresh as possible.

The rest of the communal greenhouse space I have has cucumbers going up supports ...
full.jpg

And the end has peppers inter planted with more lettuce ...
full.jpg

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Well what was meant to be a quick 30 min watering of the plot oil a good hour or more. Decided the lettuce were looking likely to flower soon so heavily cropped them to hopefully knock them back a bit and maybe get a crop off them on Tuesday. So my fridge now has 1.992kg of salad leaves squeezed in. That takes it up to 5kg of salad leaves from about 3 square meters of greenhouse space. The French Beans are starting to sprout so they will nicely full the gap when I pull them out probably next week. I'm hoping I sowed the replacement salad seeds early enough to have a continuous supply but may have left it a bit late.

Got a right bargain while shopping at Morrison's this morning. Spotted a new delivery of strawberry plants that no one has gone through. Pulled out all the plants with at least 4 or more suckers on them out of the 18 plants I bought I'll end up with at least 100 after I root all the suckers. Not bad for £18 and an hour or two's work to pot them all up.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Just gone out to water the plants and the cucumbers at the allotment seem fine. The ones in the backyard half are looking rubbish. Think they got too cold a few nights ago. :(

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
If anyone following this thread is in the UK and wants strawberry plants have a look in Morrison's for them. Bought 18 for a quid each and after I've pegged down all the runners I'm looking at at least 73 plants plus whatever runners have already rooted in the pots.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
So where were we with the salad harvest? Last count was 5kg back on the 16th. Well we've ended up being a bit too busy until today to do a proper harvest again. Only managed to harvest about half the available plants and ended up with just over 3.6kg of leaves!!!

That takes it up to 8.6kg of just leaves (lettuce, lambs lettuce and turnip greens). On top of that the cucumbers have finally started producing which I've been looking forward to.

The harvest is getting that stupidly large I've been looking at the options available to donate excess produce to charities. No luck with getting it out to local food banks as they don't have the facility to breakdown a harvest to smaller portions and can't accept it if I break it down as I don't have a commercial kitchen to process it in. The mental health charity Mind has a cafe locally that uses produce from the charities own allotment so I'm hoping they can accept produce from my allotment as they should have the facilities to deal with it.

Lol ... If that doesn't work out some may end up in the compost bin. :(

Reactions: MedMos

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
View media item 32625Sweeet Corn Plot, finally dried out enough to till. Drying throughout the day, will retill in early evening. Plant in the morning.almost 400 foot square. 3000 seeds for $14 US. 150 ears this year. 10 for a buck. Nice. 2 months of three ears a day. Next two years free. Corny joke it will be. :)

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Well I've neglected the plot while the kids have been off school, normally do at least 10 - 15 hours a week but only really been on for a quick watering and harvesting. Dropped a car load of bits off last night and realized that drastic action was needed to be taken before the weeds take over. So this afternoon/evening the family spent a good few hours working together. A big dent was made in the weeds and we also managed to construct and fill another raised bed. Still need to make another two but 4 out of 6 feels a lot easier to manage than when I was still at 3 out of 6.

We've now had a a few more cucumbers so it looks like we'll be getting a fairly regular harvest for as long as they keep going. :)

The cafe sent a message thanking me for the salad and I'm aiming to harvest another lot Tuesday/Wednesday for them. The replacement salad has started to go in on the main plot and I'll be doing a final harvest of the salad stuff in the big greenhouse over the next 2weeks.

Looking forward to the French Beans that will be replacing them in the greenhouse.