Feeding the Tribe (Gardening thread - Off Topic)

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
So I'm not one for gardening, but mrs spafe has decided we need to get the garden looking nice... so muggins here gets to fight with the Ivy that has taken over the fence from the neighbours. 2 bins full and I've got it halfway back up the fence, although it is also coming through too! I'm also beginging to have concerns over the structural intergrity of the fence minus the Ivy...

I hate Ivy... so so much.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I hear you. My yard is infested with Trees of Heaven (like bamboo), Oriental Bittersweet (vines), Virginia Creeper (another vine), and poison ivy. The first 2 are invasive species, and it could take years to get rid of it...

Reactions: spafe

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Agh, ivy! Wehen we moved in our garden wall and ironwork fence was comepletely covered with ivy - or to put it this way, we didn't know we had and ironwork fence until we removed some ivy! It was backbreaking stuff, and it's done so much damage to the wall and ironwork. There's one stretch left because it's growing from deep behind a huge hydranger (?) that's really nice so I don't want to hack it apart to get to the last bit of ivy.

Reactions: ThreeDice

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
We had a "garden" snafu. Mrs. Kitcar and I live on a farm, so all is garden. I tried for 10 days to catch a varmint in my barn, to no avail. Half the family came over (a dozen folks) and I caught it in the middle of that day. Yesterday Mrs. Kitcar caught site of the young coonlings. now she is crying. She a city folk, never had to sweat for a week to fix a foundation ruined by varmints...

sump dweller

Mr Fancy Pants
Honored Tribesman
Sep 6, 2014
County Kerry - Ireland
Skunks - man, I don't miss skunks. Driving anywhere around where I lived in Canada, I would come across road killed skunks - they smelled bad enough to make me feel sick just passing by one on the side of the road.

What do you do with them? Shoot them from as great a distance as you can?

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Yesterday Mrs. Kitcar caught site of the young coonlings. now she is crying. She a city folk, never had to sweat for a week to fix a foundation ruined by varmints...
Ah yes. We had a mouse problem in our garage when we moved in - I got several with mousetraps (chocolate was the best bait I found), and shot a couple. My wife, whilst entirely in agreement that the mice needed to go away, was not quite so happy with the deed actually being done and was not very happy with me whenever one bought the farm.

Mercenary creatures, mice. I usually found that when one had been whacked by the trap, another would then eat the chocolate :LOL:

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Ah yes. We had a mouse problem in our garage when we moved in - I got several with mousetraps (chocolate was the best bait I found), and shot a couple. My wife, whilst entirely in agreement that the mice needed to go away, was not quite so happy with the deed actually being done and was not very happy with me whenever one bought the farm.

Mercenary creatures, mice. I usually found that when one had been whacked by the trap, another would then eat the chocolate :LOL:
We have way too many snakes and hawks to worry about mice. The house is built well, and I mow pretty far out, so mini-critters find nature's path in the kill zone. :)

EDIT: Goose repellent suggestions?

Re-EDIT: Dog was freaked the first time a bird of some smaller variety dive bombed and tweaked her ear. Couldn't figure out what happened. (Hint: Look UP)

The critter with the funniest behavior is the yakspouse....

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
I caught a bird in a rat trap once.
Those traps can mess up a birds beak pretty good. Then it flops all over the place makes an awful ruckus and mess.
I dont use those traps anymore.
Seagull grabbed my raw shrimp bait fishing in a 17' boat under the 7 mile bridge. He was snagged up too bad. Scarey also to have that big bird in your boat. It turns out you have to catch the bird, and untangle it from your line.

EDIT: By the way, what kind of bird, on the mainland?

REEDIT: Yakspouse took the J.D. Gator to chase geese off of the pond. We have had 5 for about 4 days now... Lord of the Geese help me o' great Piggy. :)

Reactions: Space Truckin

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Mrs Mos has made an effort to liberate the greenhouse these past days, and it is much better now. Less overgrown.

Here is a picture from the south, approx. 5 m out.

Still not getting much light... 10 m from the south.

15 m out, now where did that greenhouse go?

So at least a couple of very big trees has got to go, before any sun can get to it. The previous owner put the greenhouse about as far north in the garden as possible... Oh well, I guess it'll pay off, and we need the firewood too.

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Seagull grabbed my raw shrimp bait fishing in a 17' boat under the 7 mile bridge. He was snagged up too bad. Scarey also to have that big bird in your boat. It turns out you have to catch the bird, and untangle it from your line.

EDIT: By the way, what kind of bird, on the mainland?

REEDIT: Yakspouse took the J.D. Gator to chase geese off of the pond. We have had 5 for about 4 days now... Lord of the Geese help me o' great Piggy. :)
Pearly eyed thrasher

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Hmmm ... Geese Are good eating!

They'd be welcomed directly into the oven if I had a chance to snaffle any. ;)

Had a crazy haul at the allotment today. Half a dozen cucumbers, loads of Turnip Greens and a 45 litre box full of salad leaves. Given up trying to weigh it as the scales are only small kitchen ones. It was double what we harvested last time so 6 to 7 kg. Kept about a kilo back for home and the rest went to the charities kitchen along with a rucksack of rhubarb donated by my neighbour on the allotment. Seems there's starting to be a bit of interest from others on the allotment to help support their work as well. :D

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Our weather here has been... remarkable. Although the weather had in general warmed up on the usual clock in April, our frost was late to leave, sneaking back several times despite the warmer weather, even into May. And now June has been wet enough, most everything except the wild grasses has drowned, locally. Heck, even there, the only thing REALLY thriving, are dandelions, which I suppose should become a harvested crop [ha!]. Across the whole of [admittedly huge] Canada, weather has alternated between flood and drought. This might not turn out to be a great gardening year. I think a greenhouse is in OUR future [eventually] plans.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
So now the sweet corn has popped up about 4". My neighbor had some pipes from a portable garage/temporary garage that had blown over due to a missing strut or two, but he begged it from the unfortunate original owner. He buried a bunch to fence his garden, but I scored the rest. Gonna try to make a deer-proof fence. Next, a squirrel proof bird feeder.....