Few rules questions

Oddsox

Ganger
Jul 15, 2015
Finchley, London
I think auto hit and auto pen is a combo with too much power. I'd rather see it as one or the other. As for multiple wrecker balls.. I think the writers intended for it to be a one per vehicle scenario.

Reactions: Yemeshi
Dec 16, 2014
Scotland
It's really interesting to see the different opinions on this one!

My line of thinking was that you had to actually try to ram/rake/sideswipe the other vehicle to use the wrecker ball or grabber arm. In terms of multiple arms/balls it could get fairly spammed, although you'd definitely need to dedicate a lot of teef and boys to it (which given the nature of the campaign would allow people to build counter-strategies to it).

I don't think the wrecker ball and grabber arms are inherently over-powered, given they are quite expensive, take significant manoeuvring to use, and realistically only would get used one or two times a game. Even though they penetrate the armour automatically they do less damage than a decent ram, and certainly they are by no means a reliable way of crippling a vehicle (although they do provide amusing effects when you hit the driver or crew!).

Reactions: Ben_S

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
It's really interesting to see the different opinions on this one!

My line of thinking was that you had to actually try to ram/rake/sideswipe the other vehicle to use the wrecker ball or grabber arm. In terms of multiple arms/balls it could get fairly spammed, although you'd definitely need to dedicate a lot of teef and boys to it (which given the nature of the campaign would allow people to build counter-strategies to it).

I don't think the wrecker ball and grabber arms are inherently over-powered, given they are quite expensive, take significant manoeuvring to use, and realistically only would get used one or two times a game. Even though they penetrate the armour automatically they do less damage than a decent ram, and certainly they are by no means a reliable way of crippling a vehicle (although they do provide amusing effects when you hit the driver or crew!).
10 teef is pretty expensive, but no more than a decent big gun. And true a d3 hits is not a d6 hits like a head-on ram, but remember that you take hits too when you ram someone.
We had to house rule that you could only use the Wreckin' Ball once per movement phase. They were getting used much more than once or twice a game. One reason is that we often play multi player games, so the board is more crowded and more available targets. We also were playing that you only had to get into position to ram, (2" for a side-swipe/rake, for example) to let 'em have it with the ball. Drive by a couple different vehicles, chase them around a bit and you get lots of chances to smack 'em around.
IMO they are the most reliable way of crippling a vehicle. No roll to hit, no roll to pen, target can't swerve out of the way. Does not get easier. Almost never see a vehicle wrecked by shooting. If it's from shooting, it's from hitting the wheels, making it swerve into a rock and take a d3 auto-pen hits. :)

Sep 17, 2014
I think it would kinda make sense for wrecking ball and big grabber to count as fixed weapon. Then there'd be a genuine choice to be made whether to take one and you'd end up with some close-combat trucks and some shooty trucks which is good diversity.

Reactions: Ben_S
Dec 16, 2014
Scotland
Agreed, think the 'eavy shoota would still be the weapon of choice. I think needing to actually do a ram/rake/sideswipe to use the wrecking ball or big grabber adds an element of risk, not to mention letting yourself in for any boarding planks/frag stikkbombs/other close-range stuff they may have up their sleeve!

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
'eavy Shootz are the last word in dakka. And even the next word in dakka. Dakkadakka. A whole other thread's worth of discussion awaits that one.

I like the idea of making Wrekkin' Ballz a fixed gun (weapon) too, if keeping it as effective as it is now. I like the "hmmm do I go shooty or smashy" choice involved.

Last edited:

JimboDeany

Gang Hero
Oct 7, 2014
Richmond, London
I agree, that would be a good choice to have to make. However given the power of the shooty options at the moment I think it would need a lot of work, while we also need to take into account the factions that this might affect quite heavily, namely my delicate little grotz who already have feck all choices for improving their vehicles etc....

Oddsox

Ganger
Jul 15, 2015
Finchley, London
I like the flexibility of having a big of both. I think a bonus system where if you decided not to have a big gun and went all out ramming then you got something to make it easier or more potent would be good.