Finish Your Stuff Challenge 2019

CaptainDangerous

Chaotic-good 2nd Company Captain
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
The Yaktribe Finish Your Stuff Challenge 2019
(Registration is now closed, but if you are a new member leave a post and we will get in touch)

Do you have a giant pile of untouched plastic spruces
Is there a host of minis sitting on your shelves, unpainted and unloved?
Would you like to make a change in 2019 and improve the quality of your collection?

Be kind to your Miniatures this next year and sign up to the Finish Your Stuff Challenge!

Every month, starting in January and ending May, any Yak Brave/Insane enough to take part must fully complete and photograph something from their extensive to do list!
The minis can be from any range or game but must be either a whole squad, a character or a vehicle/warmachine.
Minis must be fully painted and based! (Must have three colours minimum!)

There will be a competition involved (entrants only)

Hope you get involved and join in the fun!
*hobby salute*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original post:
Hail fellow tribesmen!
As you all will know, today is my first official yak birthday! (The site was down this time last year)
And to mark the occasion I would like to suggest a new community project!

Can you remember the tale of four gamers and the ones that followed?
021295E3-F070-46A3-99A8-69B68A460A1C.jpeg

Well next year I would like to collect a imperial guard army (Astra militarum for you youg’uns) and I would like to share the experience with anyone Dangerous enough to join me!

It is purely theoretical at this point in time, but I was thinking:
*£30 maximum budget per month
*11 months starting in January
* budget can be saved to buy bigger purchases further down the line
*minis must be painted in the month they are bought
* competition next November/December on best army/painted/cost effective
*any army from any game system! (not gw restricted)

Hope you like the idea and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
:D

Last edited:

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
If someone were to have a lot of previously purchased but completely untouched minis, would it be agreeable to "spend" budget against these pre-purchased minis, as long as they were declared as "bought" at the start of a given month and painted as per the normal rules?

CaptainDangerous

Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Yep, it is completely permissible to use minis already bought, as long as they are unpainted and don’t value more than your budget for the month!
That even goes for ‘newly bought’ minis too, so for example you could buy an army starter kit which is £50, but the contents would have to be split over two months with £10 to roll over to month three.

It would be great to see folks plastic pile transform into a well formed brigade!

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
What a fantastic idea @CaptainDangerous, unfortunately I could not commit to it. I hope this goes well and look forward to seeing the results though!

(Also, imagine being able to build a whole army for £150? When was that article first published? 1990s somewhere? Edit: Feb 1998. £150 then is the equivalent of £256 in today's money. Inflation!)

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
It's a splendid idea! I have a dark elf army that could do with some love... But I don't think I can keep the pace, so not sure if I can commit. Will have a think...

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous

Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
What a fantastic idea @CaptainDangerous, unfortunately I could not commit to it. I hope this goes well and look forward to seeing the results though!

(Also, imagine being able to build a whole army for £150? When was that article first published? 1990s somewhere? Edit: Feb 1998. £150 then is the equivalent of £256 in today's money. Inflation!)
It was £150 worth of heft too! If my memory serves me right, Paul sawyers beastmen were completely lead!

It's a splendid idea! I have a dark elf army that could do with some love... But I don't think I can keep the pace, so not sure if I can commit. Will have a think...
The budget is more of a guideline than a target!
How many minis do you think you could paint in a month?
I beleive in you medmos! :p:D

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I appreciate the vote of confidence, oh @CaptainDangerous my @CaptainDangerous. ;)
I could maybe paint up a months allowance for a few months, trouble is all the shiny necromunda projects tempting me... I am pretty heavily into the skirmish games atm. But as I said, will have a thinker, it might just be the ticket to getting something done on the poor, evil elves. :D

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I like the idea very much... a pretty good excuse to go through my pile of shame, if you ask me! Now the question is, I'm not so sure where I'd go dig :D
I'll keep thinking about it... maybe that's an excuse for a KoW army? Or my unpainted BA germans? Or something else?

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I like the idea of trying to get some stuff done each month, but I doubt I'd be very good at it. Like others, I have the issues of a pile of pre-bought stuff already and that I play mostly skirmish games, so don't really need a single army of anything.

One other question though is whether the £30 refers to RRP or what you paid. I seem to recall one of the guys in White Dwarf popped down to a store opening when they did all kinds of bargains (well, 3 for 2 and the like) to make his money go further.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
One other question though is whether the £30 refers to RRP or what you paid. I seem to recall one of the guys in White Dwarf popped down to a store opening when they did all kinds of bargains (well, 3 for 2 and the like) to make his money go further.
I cannot remember exactly how much I bought for what, but I do know that I got a lot of loose Primaris sprues for "free" as part of shelling out £200 on minis for a store birthday, so I'd think that if I were to participate I'd have to look up how much what bits of stuff I got cost and price them up, then declare that was the price I "paid" for them.

Otherwise, I have a shed load of Primaris that I could just drop at any given month and still have my allowance for the month(s) roll over.

Draconic

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
Osborne Park WA 6017, Australia
Happy Yak Birthday Captain! I like the idea of finishing projects monthly on a budget. Having never played any squad/army based games before I don’t think I’d know where to start (also I’m still struggling to keep to my terrain deadline) Look forward to seeing it unfold :)

CaptainDangerous

Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Hmmm..... *the captain puts on his thinking hat*
Firstly, Thanks so much for the support and interest fellas! :)
Secondly, I’m thinking that instead of having a budget (as per the original format), that instead, each yak brave enough to take on the challenge must commit to:

*building and painting either a squad, a character, or a vehicle each month
*minis may be from any and all games! (Very fitting to the nature of the yak)

So it will be more of a ‘finish your stuff challenge’ rather than what I originally had in mind!?
But I think this sounds just as cool!
Would this be more accessible for everyone?

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Now that is more my cup of tea. It would force me to tackle the mountain of unpainted metal I've had expanding for so very long. And if I did one complete model a month - which should be entirely doable - I'd have all of my unpainted individual characters or gangers that I have planned to finish for years done by sometime in... *counts on his fingers* 2022 :eek: