FINISH YOUR STUFF CHALLENGE 2021

Oh man, this has been a super slow month for me. 7 pieces of terrain and 1 mini! I half-ass started painting three, but just can't work up the will to finish them... maybe today is the day?

I got another rabbit, this time a 4 month old Flemish Giant. So, most of my free time is dedicated to stopping the 2 year old Holland Lop from re-enacting the Horus Heresy... been quite a bit of chaos here.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
I'll have my min five done by the end of the week but if my airbrush comes in on time and I figure out how to use it I might actually squeeze out my first 40k tank in fifteen years. Maybe if I'm feeling brave I'll figure out how to use wrinkle cream my face too.

• Haha

Pagumb

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
Chasing my usual hodge podge of miniatures to completion. Haven't had much interest in making a starting Cawdor gang from the Book of Faith so that part of the hobby plan appears to have been pushed back. Lots of terrain video watching this weekend and a bit of building. My lack of organization and/or easy access to my various bits and materials means lots of fits and starts. Mostly fits.

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Sorry Yaks, but I’m going to be without t’internet for a couple of weeks!
But fear not, the FYSC will continue as normal, with the exception that I’ll be announcing the top five yaks for June at the end of the month (rather than the 21stish): So make sure you vote by the 20th and complete your July entry before august!

keep on yakkin
Cap

La'ayiv

Ganger
Apr 7, 2021
Wish I could do this but I basically only started doing miniatures stuff last year and have no unfinished things that I'm not already working on.

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Coming along... Might just get my Immolator done on time...
IMG_20210719_024219596.jpg

Edster

Ganger
Dec 26, 2018
Nottingham, UK
I’m loving those Gorkamorka vehicles @Trafalgar Law ! theyre the truks I always wanted when i was a diggayoof 20 yrs ago!

so this month good news -i managed to paint most of my German army, bad news — I’ve recently moved house. Long story short, I’m now in a situation where I’m in a house share with a landlord until my chain is broken and I can move into my own house.

So therefore painting is going to be very difficult to accomplish with this set up I.e. no paint on the walls/floor/furniture, keep everything super clean and tidy and contained to my own room and no brush licking. This is especially tricky for me for the scale of production and energetic mess that you guys may know me for ;)

I have a few options…

1. Try to make a tiny desk space where I can’t get paint anywhere and only paint solo minis as best i can (rather then the squads/armies)
2. Try to find a ‘studio space’ for my creative outlet (expensive but could also open the door to other opportunities for design/art)
3. Give up the FYSC crown and find a ‘clean’ hobby

out of these options there is one that is a definite No No, so I wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar situation or advice on tiny set ups at home?

Also I wonder if my FYSC angle becomes less about quantity and more about quality I’m sure that would be bonus points right? ;)

hope you’re all good! Looking forward to seeing this months submissions - keep it up!

Sump Duck

Ganger
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 9, 2020
no paint on the walls/floor/furniture, keep everything super clean and tidy and contained to my own room and no brush licking.

Out of curiosity how much mess do you make? I've yet to do terrain which I imagine would get more messy, but painting the miniatures never seems to get paint everywhere.

Reactions: MedMos

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Out of curiosity how much mess do you make? I've yet to do terrain which I imagine would get more messy, but painting the miniatures never seems to get paint everywhere.
The only time I get paint in places I don’t want is when the GW pots build up dried paint st the hinge and wetter stuff oozes out onto your fingers and you don’t notice until you touch something else!

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
The only time I get paint in places I don’t want is when the GW pots build up dried paint st the hinge and wetter stuff oozes out onto your fingers and you don’t notice until you touch something else!
Yeah the only thing I don't like about the old white lidded gw paints (and similar brands such as coat d'arms) is that they are prone to doing this.

Edster

Ganger
Dec 26, 2018
Nottingham, UK
Oh yeah @Sump Duck dude I get paint EVERYWHERE! splattered all up the walls like a murder scene, pooled over the desk, dripped and congealed onto the carpet, trodden in blu tack and glue, weathering powdered finger prints smeared over light switches… it’s like a scene from midsomer murders!

seriously though, I’m a very ‘expressive’ lad, shall we say, and my art reflects that for sure. also I think it‘s the all or nothing approach - I’ll try to paint a whole army as quick as I can so then I’ll take over a space for that sole purpose no matter what it takes.

Therefore my live in landlords newly, professionally painted white walls, sanded and stained floorboards and crisp furniture are not prepared for my murderous hobby streak…

Sump Duck

Ganger
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 9, 2020
@Edster well it sounds like bloody good fun at least! And there must be method to the madness looking at the amount of beautiful minis you put out.

Any tips for getting so much done so quickly besides putting in more time? I find I'm pretty slow although it might have something to do with the fact that I can't bring myself to paint in batches bigger than 2 minis at a time.

Reactions: Edster and MedMos

Edster

Ganger
Dec 26, 2018
Nottingham, UK
@Edster well it sounds like bloody good fun at least! And there must be method to the madness looking at the amount of beautiful minis you put out.

Any tips for getting so much done so quickly besides putting in more time? I find I'm pretty slow although it might have something to do with the fact that I can't bring myself to paint in batches bigger than 2 minis at a time.
Haha thanks @Sump Duck madness is a great description 😉

Wow I dunno… best tips for speed… a lot of it is based on experience, I’ve been very fortunate to have more spare time to spend on the hobby then others I suppose. I’m a designer by trade and have studied graphics, textiles print and colour my whole career so I find it connects to my design decisions for sure. Ultimately I think speed is down to making decisions…

1. Prepare… write down colour schemes
Over time you will start to figure out what paints harmonize with others and what the best highlights and shades are for them. For example - I love using Valejo Hexen purple blended on top of valejo dark prussian blue (my eschers) as it really pops and creates a colour change that works well. I know that using orange or red I wash with reikland flesh shade cos I like the result. I don’t have to think anymore it becomes automatic.

2. When doing an army/unit do one or two figurefirst as a test run and work out what colours you need - then do the rest in bulk one colour at a time. decision making is the thing that slows us down the most. It’s super important to consider what colour to do what - but doing an army only think hard on one or two models first and then stick to it for the rest. For example, my orlocks I’ll have a few colours but I mix their placements - green for armour plates on one with blue trousers and then flip it so blue armour plates with green trousers. As long as the colour is consistent it feels connected. The only decision I have to make on an individual level is which armour plate colour I want (I know the formula for each colour) and then it is just balancing how many of each colour I have.

3. Base/main colours first (as in the main colour of model not actual 25mm base) - painting the ‘base’ colours of the model I will chose the main colour and do either blends or shades and be quite messy with them. This is super quick because I don’t care or think about if it goes over any other details as it is the first step, before going back in and doing the details such as skin/faces and pouches/straps etc. I nearly always do Metallics last for example - maybe because they’re usually a detail.

4. Know that you will always make mistakes and don’t worry about it. To help reduce mistakes I use a wet palette (to go back to the other colours) and I paint from the center of the model out - it’s easier to clean up mistakes on the edge/exterior of the model then the inside/chest when their arms and guns are in the way.

5. don’t be afraid - best advice really - you are the artist and it is your work - don’t compare your stuff to your peers. Everything you do is awesome and it will always teach you something new and something to remember for next time. Be inspired and motivated by others, but remember to respect your own work and don’t be too hard on yourself. Comparing yourself to others isn’t the point of growth - it’s to compare yourself to yourself - your ideas and personality are completely your own and that’s what works for you and what no one else has. That’s the most important thing - have fun!

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Oh yeah @Sump Duck dude I get paint EVERYWHERE! splattered all up the walls like a murder scene, pooled over the desk, dripped and congealed onto the carpet, trodden in blu tack and glue, weathering powdered finger prints smeared over light switches… it’s like a scene from midsomer murders!

seriously though, I’m a very ‘expressive’ lad, shall we say, and my art reflects that for sure. also I think it‘s the all or nothing approach - I’ll try to paint a whole army as quick as I can so then I’ll take over a space for that sole purpose no matter what it takes.

Therefore my live in landlords newly, professionally painted white walls, sanded and stained floorboards and crisp furniture are not prepared for my murderous hobby streak…
They’re going to love seeing your new painting setup with clear plastic sheeting covering every surface and you sat there in a poncho - very American Psycho.

Pagumb

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
They’re going to love seeing your new painting setup with clear plastic sheeting covering every surface and you sat there in a poncho - very American Psycho.
Whew! And here I was thinking that @Edster was trapped in the Matrix, being held against his will at the Scandinavian Designs studio or possibly flashing back to some of his design work on Ex Machina.

• Wow
Reactions: Edster