First list in over 10 years, please critique (Genecult)

Hi Guys, I'm just getting back into Necromunda using the community rules (which look great) & I'm planning to use my Genecult minis from Deathwatch Killteam. So I've pulled together a list using Hunger's supliment (again, looks great), I'd appreciate some positive criticism on this list, thanks

Hierarch (130), extra arm (10), Genestealer claw (15), precognition (20), Plasma pistol (30) - 205

Purestrain - 200

Hybrid (75), Autoslugger (45), extra arm (10), Genestealer claw (15) - 145

Hybrid (75), grenade launcher (60), krak grenades (40) - 175

5 X Brood Brother (35), autogun (20) - 275

1000 pts

What do you think?

knowman

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Chelmsford, MA, USA
I didn't see anything in the Vault for Genestealer Cult rules for NCE. Can you link to it, please?

My first reaction was that having a couple of the Brothers armed with something other than autoguns might give you some additional flexibility, but I don't know the gang rules and weapon choice limitations and what your modeling options are.

Basic feedback - 9 is a solid number to start with. I like Autosluggers and GLs, although I wonder about why krak grenades instead of frags? To deal with tougher opponents?

I didn't see anything in the Vault for Genestealer Cult rules for NCE. Can you link to it, please?

My first reaction was that having a couple of the Brothers armed with something other than autoguns might give you some additional flexibility, but I don't know the gang rules and weapon choice limitations and what your modeling options are.

Basic feedback - 9 is a solid number to start with. I like Autosluggers and GLs, although I wonder about why krak grenades instead of frags? To deal with tougher opponents?
Hi Knowman, thanks for picking this up. Firstly the link https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/hungers-nce-genestealer-cult-rules.4634/

Autoguns are chosen due to model restrictions & wanting to get into the game with minimal effort. I have realised that my hybrids have autopistols, so I'll have to make some changes. As for grenades I'll look into it. Have a look at the rules & get back to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

knowman

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Chelmsford, MA, USA
My gut says to swap the krak grenades out for frag as you don't really have any other AoE weapons. The autoslugger is a d3 shots, so that sort of does it, but not a lot, and you don't have range. Aside from Spyrers, for whom the PP and the Claws should suffice, the only other things you might run into that is realistically going to need a krak grenade is buildings.

Otherwise it seems like a pretty solid list other than the weapon variety. If you have figs that have autopistols, then a brood brother or two kitted out for H2H might not be a bad idea as all of your current H2H guys are the expensive ones. Always good to have some fodder.

If you're going to play in a campaign, you may want to start out with 1 less Hybrid or maybe even hold off on the Genestealer in exchange for more Brood Brothers and maybe some Hired Guns? because you lose the extra teritorries once you become an outlaw and each Hybrid or Purestrain gives you a -1 to that roll. So maybe start with less negatives and build up some credit reserves? Just a thought. Someone who has actually played them in a campaign would be a better source of advice though.

Good luck!

Craigus17

Ganger
Dec 14, 2014
Gravesend, UK
I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your gang. I stumbled across a box of 19 Genestealers today which has made me want to start a genestealer cult gang but i've no idea what they should look like...

My gut says to swap the krak grenades out for frag as you don't really have any other AoE weapons. The autoslugger is a d3 shots, so that sort of does it, but not a lot, and you don't have range. Aside from Spyrers, for whom the PP and the Claws should suffice, the only other things you might run into that is realistically going to need a krak grenade is buildings.

Otherwise it seems like a pretty solid list other than the weapon variety. If you have figs that have autopistols, then a brood brother or two kitted out for H2H might not be a bad idea as all of your current H2H guys are the expensive ones. Always good to have some fodder.

If you're going to play in a campaign, you may want to start out with 1 less Hybrid or maybe even hold off on the Genestealer in exchange for more Brood Brothers and maybe some Hired Guns? because you lose the extra teritorries once you become an outlaw and each Hybrid or Purestrain gives you a -1 to that roll. So maybe start with less negatives and build up some credit reserves? Just a thought. Someone who has actually played them in a campaign would be a better source of advice though.

Good luck!
All sounds good, thanks

Craigus17

Ganger
Dec 14, 2014
Gravesend, UK
Honestly dispite having been a GW player from 1995-2001 I only heard of genestealer cults for the first time around about this time last year when i picked up where i left off. Before that I had only known of Genestealers as the antagonists in space hulk or part of a tyranid army. noobish I know but when i *did* play GW in the nineties i played WH Quest, Necromunda and Mordheim and not 40k. Also was never really into the background lore. Therefore literally everything I hear about them is new to me and thats the first time ive ever seen those miniatures...

Reactions: GeeKAbaddon

GeeKAbaddon

Gang Champion
Feb 24, 2016
Darlington
Yeah I played similar and I believe Tyranids were just becoming a thing, we still had Squats then too :D Ahhhh, Space Hulk, watching those little blips!!

A proper genestealer cult/infestation is quite a thing and so sneaky! I know in Dawn of War series they go over how they infest a world I think before the proper Hive arrive to strip it.

Yeah I played similar and I believe Tyranids were just becoming a thing, we still had Squats then too :D Ahhhh, Space Hulk, watching those little blips!!

A proper genestealer cult/infestation is quite a thing and so sneaky! I know in Dawn of War series they go over how they infest a world I think before the proper Hive arrive to strip it.
Blips are back in these Necromunda rules, so your not entirely sure where that stealer is! The back story is great, fits in really well with life in the underhive.

Craigus17

Ganger
Dec 14, 2014
Gravesend, UK
Oh but actually answering the OP, I've never personally seen Krak grenades used effectively and would definitely say swap for Frag.

Causing explosions is always big, clever and a lot of fun :p

*edit* - Although I've never seen it used as such first hand, technically I guess it's possible that with a BS upgrade a grenade launcher armed with Krak Grenades could be used as a de facto sniper weapon...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimst