N18 Fixed Rewards/No Rough Edges Necromunda Campaign?

fullaflash

Juve
Aug 18, 2020
Hi All

I’m considering running a short Necromunda campaign that aims to remove the imbalance in gang power that can develop due to certain scenarios, rewards and tactics cards.

I’m wondering if anyone has already created a campaign rule set similar to this (and I can build on that) or whether I need to start from scratch.

Scenarios

One game per week and I will set the scenario for that week’s game for everyone to play. These will likely be entirely new scenarios or custom scenarios. I want to borrow heavily from the ITC/9th edition 40k mission set. This rewards you for (a) killing things and (b) holding objectives.

One example scenario as follows. 48”x48” board. Five pre-set objectives. One in each deployment zone, the others in the middle of the field. Score one point for holding an objective. Most models within 3” of centre to hold. Score an additional point for holding more objectives than the opponent. Score one point for taking an enemy fighter out of action or a serious injury. Score an additional point for doing more than your opponent. No tie breaker.

I think objectives really help to discourage heavy shooting lists and create a more dynamic game.

I don’t intend to throw out existing scenarios but would like to tweak them. Existing scenarios I would like to use include the one where you plant/disarm bombs and the one where you harvest or save hivers.

Scenario Rewards

This is a bit spicy.

I will set the reward of credits that each gang receives per week. A win or a loss is irrelevant (mostly). In the first week, the reward to all gangs might be 60 credits. In the second week, 100 credits, etc.

I won’t change the reputation rules so you will still want to win if you want to hire more hangers on etc.

I will also fix the amount of experience that each gang will receive for their fighters. I will assign a ‘package’ of experience points that the player can spend as they want but they won’t be able to assign all points onto one ganger. For example, In the first week, you might be able to give one fighter 3 xp, another 2 fighters 2xp each and then another 3 fighters 1 xp each.

After all games have been played, I will tally up who received the most points in their weekly battle. The top scorers will receive bonuses to their credits and xp allocations of around 10-20%. This should incentivise winning.

Tactics Cards

The usual bans of history of violence and dangerous footing. However I will also ban any cards that allow you to add fighters to your gang for free. I.e. ‘call the faithful’, unexpected aid (Van Saar) or the new Escher one. These seem broken – imagine starting a game of chess with an extra bishop?

I might also tweak other cards on a case by case basis.

Winning the Campaign

Most game wins at the end of the campaign is the winner!

Conclusion

Let me know your thoughts. The obvious is that it feels like a very ‘vanilla’ and ‘tame’ version of Necromunda. Your game wins or losses don’t mean much for your gang’s development.

On the other hand, it will avoid all the feels bads of being crushed by gangs with much higher ratings. Also, the feels bads of not earning enough rewards each week to properly experience your gang’s natural development cycle.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
The scenario idea sounds interesting - do you score the points for objectives every turn?
However, controlling arbitrary bits of ground for brief periods in the middle of a firefight to claim victory is a strange narrative to work around. I'd be tempted to slightly tweak it, so rather than simply holding objectives to get points you need to take actions at them like Poison Well or Scan Gubbin.

I like the idea of fixed income. Narratively I justified it that gangs are essentially sponsored paramilitary groups now, they're hired to go poison the wells/scan the gubbinz and will collect that payment even if they fail.

I don't like that approach to xp though. It feels too 'objective'. You could get xp for being taken OoA, that way every gang gets approximately equal xp, and there's a little silver lining to getting knocked out.

When it comes to tactics cards, my group used a tier system. Every card is sorted into 3 tiers (plus bans). Players then build a deck of 20 cards, including a maximum of 5 tier 1, and a minimum of 5 tier 3 (therefore normally 10 tier 2), there must be 5 cards from their house amongst those (gangs will less than 5 cards must as many as they can).
When you would normally get to choose your cards, you instead randomly draw 2 more cards than you need (ie if the scenario allows you to choose 2, you draw 4), and discard 2 cards.
It means players are bringing a nice mix of cards. The drawing mechanic ensures you can't reliably bring the best cards or the best combos each game.

For campaign victory conditions, I had the idea of playing with reputation, in combination with the fixed income.
Gangs can buy a point of reputation for 10cr (spreading propaganda and such). If you won your last game, you get double reputation for that (although I'm considering winners get 2 rep for 15cr instead). Campaign winner is the one with the most reputation.
This adds a mechanic where gangs can choose between improving their gang, and therefore being more able to win future games. Or improving their reputation and therefore being more likely to win the campaign.

Reactions: fullaflash

fullaflash

Juve
Aug 18, 2020
Hey those are some really cool ideas, did you ever prepare a written campaign pack and card tier system that I could look at?

Yea I assumed that everyone uses the goonhammer tactics card house rule so I was going to use that but yours is intere s tinf as well.

I'll take a look at those actions, that's a good idea. Yep it was meant to be every turn so you get more points the longer you stay there.

I think your right about xp on ooa fighters feeling wrong. That said I'm trying not to have winning mean much more than winning the campaign as a whole. Everyone goes up the same both on credits and xp. I'm more of a min max power gamer so narrative isn't my biggest concern as much as balance. I'll think about this one some more.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I haven't yet, these ideas are just floating around in my head in various quiet moments.

The tactics card tiers we used are similar to Goonhammer's, but not the same.

I totally understand the desire to want everyone advance at the same pace.
If you give fighters xp for going OoA (they've learnt not to hug a Corpse Grinder next time) then the xp gain of the 'loser' should actually exceed that of the 'winner', because not every OoA results in an xp for the attacker but will for the victim. This is counterbalanced by the greater injuries of the 'loser' though.
Also, xp in this way will result in a more logical method and interesting distribution, rather than just piling it all on your champion until they power up. Also, I think the silver lining to going OoA could be very powerful for reducing the sting of taking casualties.