Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Work on my buggy has continued!
QsHskO7.jpg

The engine is now a V6 (it was getting in the way of the speargun cupola) and the driver has some cockpit (?) detailing. I removed his steering wheel temporarily to let me get access to work on his head. I'm slowly trying to improve my sculpting skills on Ork heads so it seemed a good time to get stuck in.

WhYrFLC.jpg

The peg is to try to keep the driver in place without gluing him in.

As a lot of the underside of the vehicle is visible in the illustration it seemed appropriate to get some proper detailing done there:
gMqjgm2.jpg

The connections don't entirely make sense so don't think about it too much! I also decided to hide the sprue's origin by drilling holes in them. Let's hope that works...

Here's the speargun so far:
1bF86Sa.jpg

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I really like that face, it's more plain. Kinda like a version between the old cartoony guys and the new ultra edgy modern cartoony guys. You should think about doing a line of Plane Boyz Dat Iz Not Speshul

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Something this project has hammered home: Warhammer 40K's 28mm "Heroic" isn't a scale, it's an art style.
These are Ork-scale versions of some Vietnam-era SOG gear (clockwise):
Carl Gustav M/45 ("Swedish K")
M3A1 "Grease Gun" (suppressed)
M1911A1
MAC-10 (suppressed)
Figuring out which proportions to squish, which to enlarge, etc. has been tricky - but fun!
LvUHBAG.jpg

• Love
Reactions: hreikin and cainex1

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
I posted this over on @Kiblams' Styrene Engineers Facebook group but here seems a good place for it too.

Let's build a tiny tank!

STEP 1: PLANNING
I do very little planning with my builds, with rare exceptions. The only thing I'm doing here is plotting out the rough sizing to ensure scale creep doesn't take hold.
Also pictured, a previous tank build and the standardised turret mounts I use.
KItO57F.jpg

STEP 2: BASIC STRUCTURE
Yep, this seems about right! Some 2mm styrene and some tubing. I don't like working with 2mm styrene but sometimes it's necessary. Also you can see that I've labelled the tank to show which way is forward - it's not quite symmetrical.
eklK96b.jpg

STEP 3: FILLING IN BIG VOIDS
I'll be casting this tank and I made the mistake of making the first tank too hollow. As a result it burst in the casting chamber. Vacuum and pressure will do that...
In this case I had a bit of chipboard offcut from some IKEA shelves. I trimmed it to about the right size and glued it underneath the tank. You'll get a better look at it later. I then built up the sides of the tank using sprue offcuts to serve as a skeleton.
wavHcMg.jpg

STEP 4: ♫ NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH ♫
I built several jigs on top of that scrap of chipboard. This one was for the base of the tracks. I'd slot a strip of 1mm styrene in and score at the relevant points with a blade or a saw and then continue. I think I found that the pieces I created were twice as wide as they needed to be so I redid them but you get the idea! I then distressed them, as per usual.
x0CjIML.jpg

STEP 5: MILLIPUT
Now that I had the shape roughly sorted it was time to roughly sort it some more. Deploy the Milliput! It can be sanded, cut, and generally manipulated into shape for something like this.
wdYnnHj.jpg

STEP 6: FURTHER GETTING JIGGY WITH IT
Creating those distinctive track teeth was clearly going to be exhausting to do manually. Instead I got a strip of 2mm styrene and built a couple of jigs. One for trimming the strip to the right length and another for trimming the resulting pieces to the right shape. It took a while, sure, but nowhere near as long as doing it without a jig!
sqdaoVA.jpg

STEP 7: FILLING IN THE SMALLER VOIDS
I'd put a bit of Milliput into the tubing wells to form a solid base but at this stage I mixed up a load of green stuff and used it to fill in those voids as well as those between the tracks. This is mostly to provide longevity for the mould. I can cast fairly intricate undercuts and the like but the mould life will be much shorter. Better to design around that limitation.
F1XA9O6.jpg

eN4zeAq.jpg

STEP 8: SUSPENSE
At this stage I added the suspension detailing and then filled in around and behind them with further green stuff. You can also see that I've built up the block in the middle a bit more.
W0kJNyI.jpg

STEP 9: SUPPORT STRUCTURE
Milliput is great but ideally it needs a support structure. That's where the 1mm styrene additions come in.
xqUTL42.jpg

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
STEP 10: LOTS OF STUFF
Here's where things start to move quickly enough that I don't have as many photos. I broke out my Dremel and sanded away some of the side structure (as well as some of the underside) and then did another layer of Milliput on top of those areas, smoothed out with water (so much mess...). After that there was sanding on affected areas to further smooth things. Once that was done I added a few bits of bent plating and created some hollows for the exhaust pipes. They were done using rodding and tubing with some Milliput to fill them.
CWlwOBR.jpg

STEP 11: A BIT MORE DETAILING
Nearly there now. The exhaust pipes have some more shape to them (rodding and a tealight candle) and the riveting has started. I've also marked out with a pen where I intend to place rivets.
5oPszql.jpg

STEP 12: RIVETS AND FINISHING TOUCHES
This isn't a particularly rivet-heavy build but they were added at this stage. That forward hull looks a little too blank. How about a hatch with an angled peephole?
Actually the back looks a bit bland too. Let's add a vent.
I also added some liquid greenstuff to smooth out a few putty layer/type transitions at this stage.
dUpGVwb.jpg

CCu6bNS.jpg

STEP 13: CASTING
Casting went well - the filling and shape allowed the resin to behave and the result was just as planned.
aM1TJql.jpg

STEP 14: PAINTING
I've not quite finished yet, but the wash is drying so I figured I'd post this in the meantime!
UKToXgk.jpg

42zT8JN.jpg

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Yippie-kay-ayy!
Fun mini.
Interesting choice of words, given the December gobbo!
(shop link)

As per usual it's been a while since I updated this thread with what I've been working on so let's take a look!
We'll start with something familiar. You last saw this buggy in February. Since then it's been primed in brown but something else happened. Its rivet cannon got lost.

It's rare for me to lose things. I'm terrible at linear time (when stuff is coming up, when things happened, and so on) but I'm amazing at where things are. I was talking about this with an old friend of mine the other day and I mentioned the time I lost my keys (about a decade ago). He remembered it. That's how uncommon it is for me to lose stuff.

However... You know what a person who doesn't lose stuff is bad at? Looking for things. I'm terrible at it. The rivet cannon fell on the floor of my work room and I've since moved every single bit of furniture. Couldn't find it. Eventually I gave up and decided it was time for plan B.

Last month I got myself a 3D printer. I've never made 3D models before so step one was to learn to make 3D models.
Once I started to get the hang of that I decided to try to recreate the original rivet cannon:
3OFamiM.png

It's slightly different, of course, but the basic gist is there.

Not all the details came through but not bad:
BiEOAIn.jpg

I added a few rivets, magnetised it, and on it went:
jteUn3l.jpg

Y2ANuXt.jpg

There we go! It'll do!

Also, back in July I was at Barrage and found this box in the Bring & Buy:
DXscoWg.jpg

It was £10. So... now I have a Space Marine army!

I've never liked Ultramarines or their colour scheme. There is a colour I really enjoy though, a colour that I rarely get a chance to paint in my Ork army. That colour is fluorescent pink. I love that colour. It's ridiculous, bold, and fun.

Here's the army about to fight at Warhammer World when my local gaming club organised a trip in September:
IISPj7Q.jpg

Obviously they're not all finished but they're a fair bit more done than you might think. The two tac squads, the termies, and the devastators are all done but not based.
You might be wondering about that dread though...

You see, I thought it'd be a fun challenge to gothic the hell out of a standard dread. I picked one up on eBay for about £8 and got stuck in. I was working towards a Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought with lascannons. Let's see how I got on.
We'll start with the slightly disassembled dread. I patched the hole in the base but other than that, this is basically what I started with:
MQ31G2W.jpg

Some bits were hacked off:
ziilZqB.jpg

Some of them got glued back on in different ways:
VPgs8Cs.jpg

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Things also started to get a bit decorative:
ePadThd.jpg

You can also see Captain Bernhart here, although I'm not entirely consistent on spelling of his name. He'll not put up with any more of this (I'm thinking of Bernard Black holding up a sausage in S03E01...).
bernard-black-quotes.gif

At this stage I'd also scratchbuilt the dread's lascannons and added a campaign record to it as decoration, based on names suggested by friends. It had also acquired extended exhausts, a mitre of sorts, oh and feet:
wQYy76j.jpg

Channelling my inner Bernard Black again - Not enough!

I could describe the blow-by-blow but there's a fair bit going on. Instead I shall post this turntable video and anyone interested can ask me questions about it!
http://instagr.am/p/B2B3qnJHXBn/
There was one final addition though - smoke launchers. I mounted them between the exhausts on the back of the mitre thingy. They came in handy in the tournament too!

...although I still lost because I'm rubbish at 40K. It was fun though!

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Ooh, I'm behind a bit on posting about my recent sculpts!

Let's start off with the one I launched tonight, Lou Rolls:
tflNb59.jpg

V8rjnbb.jpg

I had the idea for him last Saturday and got to work on him immediately. Made me chuckle a fair bit, I must admit. He's on the shop now - https://fox-box.co.uk/product/lou-rolls-fox-box-pandemic-special-goblin/

There's another gobbo too that's available - "Tanks Fernuffin":
XO3v5Yo.jpg

OwrtlwS.jpg

He's over here: https://fox-box.co.uk/product/tanks-fernuffin-fox-box-march-goblin-available-until-31st-march-2020/

Then there's a couple of previous months' goblins that are no longer available but I want to show off. First there was February's gobbo, St. Lone:
3Si2yNq.jpg

pp4dIgv.jpg

...and January's Sgt. Zatsanorda:
KmyIgxU.jpg

I've been having a lot of fun sculpting them. Each one is a new challenge and I'm trying to improve something every time. Sometimes it's physical movement (the lunging move that Tanks Fernuffin is doing) other times it's something like the positioning of a hand (St. Lone). Next month's is done already but I think he could do with a hat...

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
You do all these just for limited release? Seems a lot of work.
I do them as limited release for several reasons. Partly to encourage people to visit my shop and buy stuff, partly to have something to shout about on social media, and partly because each one presents a new sculpting challenge. I've never found that my skills improve with practice - I've found they improve with challenge.

There's also an element of feeling out the market. There's not a lot of information available out there to help me make informed business decisions and this is a way of gauging popularity. I tend to favour fairly militaristic sculpts, for example, but some of my sillier ones do quite well.

Here's Jack Goblinton - he's pure silly:
siLu24L.jpg

But what about Blastin' Kap? He's a bit of silly and a bit of military:
RaeNOAk.jpg

He's also a bit of pop culture reference - but perhaps a bit too obscure. So the next one was Skippy Kai-Yay, a more direct and modern pop culture homage:
3bqshf9.jpg

It is a lot of work, but it's also quite rewarding!

Reactions: Ben_S and trollmeat