N18 Fluff for Dominion Campaign

OrcJuice

Juve
Jul 19, 2021
Indiana, USA
If this has been asked before or I'm in the wrong place--first I apologize and second, please steer me in the right direction.

In about a month, my playgroup is kicking off our first Dominion campaign with me as the first Arbiter. I'm familiar with narratives as I have DMed for years in both D&D and Star Wars Universes. We will be using the basic GotU rules. No "House of ..." books. This is simply a decision due to availability of figures, and to keep the rules simpler. After our first successful campaign, we will expand to the "House of ..." books.

The gangs being played are:
Enforcers
Corpse Grinders
Orlock
Delaque
Goliath
(Maybe another player playing Van Saar)

So my problem and question, what kind of kick off narration can I use to get us started with this campaign? I'm really kind of at a loss.

Brainstorms and ideas,
I have several of the old Spryer figures that I will incorporate into the campaigns at some point, but probably not this first campaign.
I have Kal Jericho & Scabs and will probably use them narratively, but again, maybe not in this first campaign.

I envision us using this first campaign to get a solid grasp of the rules and once getting the campaign kicked off, I feel we will be able to carry the narrative as we go and will be able to lead us into our second campaign. But I need a solid starting point. PLEASE HELP! Thank you in advance!

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
The old reliable is that a new dome has been discovered and all the gangs are rushing to claim it for their house.

Or there is the old remote town that the gangs all already live in that has some calamatous event happens that breaks the peace.

I’ve also run a campaign where there was a big monster in the background and each cycle there was an escalation of how it affected the local hive all culminating in a final group monster hunt.

I’ve also run a campaign where there was an escalating brain leag zombie outbreak in the background that again culminated in a big final battle where the gangs tried to seal off a mine that the zombies were coming from.

Anyway there are plenty of options but what I have found best but what I would suggest is that you start with your big final battle and work your way narratively back from there. Each gang can create their own little narrative within the larger campaign narrative that you cultivate along the way.

OrcJuice

Juve
Jul 19, 2021
Indiana, USA
Thank you for the reply.

I don't have anything against "old reliable", but I'm not sure what the culmination would lead to. I'll think harder about this one.

The calamitous event could be interesting. And honestly, maybe I run "old reliable" as our introduction to this game and world and end the campaign with a calamitous event that leads us into our second campaign.

At this point, maybe the arrival of the Spryers from the Upper Spire would be the event to both end the campaign and kick off "season 2". I'm thinking like leaving the first season in a cliff-hanger like a TV show or something.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
It’s also worth looking at some of the even tables in the Book of Peril or the very old Outlander book from 1997 which both have random event tables in them.

I think one of the Gang Wars had a random event table as well.

You can then either roll randomly on the tables each campaign cycle or curate and select a linear narrative based on them depending on how much you want to drive the narrative.

OrcJuice

Juve
Jul 19, 2021
Indiana, USA
Now to just figure out how the "custom" gang works in the gang management tool to create my Spryers as a gang and manage them. Everytime I try and create one, they never show up.....hrmmm....

Thanks for the help, almic!

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
I should also say check out the Necromunda>campaign section of the vault here on yaktribe. The link is below and it has a bunch of old and new campaign resources that can be adapted for your use.

If you are going to make Spyrers I would suggest trying to make them using the existing Venator gang rules before going for a custom gang.

If you are really hell bent on making custom fighters for a custom gang then when you create the custom fighter profile you need to assign it to the custom gang type, and then when you create your gang you need to create a gang of Custom type (rather than say Delaque).

Your custom gang should then have access to all the fighter types you have created that are only accessible to custom gang types.