Fresh Cawdor Gang, first Draft

Scumb4g

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 25, 2015
Kamakura
Just getting back into Necromunda, and thought I'd give Cawdor another try.
I made a first list of how I thought to start my gang, any thoughts suggestions?

Gang Leader 120
-Boltgun 35
-weapon reload 17.5
-Chainsword 25

Heavy 1 60
-Heavy Stubber 120

Heavy 2 60
- Flamer 40
- Weapon Reload 20

Ganger 1 50
-Lasgun 25

Ganger 2 50
-Lasgun 25

Ganger 3 50
-Lasgun 25

Ganger 4 50
-Lasgun 25

Ganger 5 50
-Lasgun 25

Juve 1 25
-autopistol 15

Juve 2 25
-autopistol 15

Juve 3 25
-autopistol 15

Weapon reloads are there to support my amazing dice skills (yes I actually have to take that into consideration while making lists).

Are you limited by the selection of models you have available by any chance? This seems like a bit of a repetitive selection of weapons here for my tastes. One of the great things about Necromunda is surely the ability to carry a variety of equipment into battle!

Reactions: Gorkamunda
I have all the Cawdor models, but like the Lasguns for their low ammo rol. Maybe you are right and it's good to put a shotgun in there.

I also think it is easier to just have Lasguns instead of a mix of Lasguns and Autoguns but that also might be because I haven't played the CE yet.

Autoguns have a slight edge on lasguns with an improved short range - I find that extra 4" of +1 can really help with a starting gang.

Shotguns are also really helpful because of scatter shells.

Personally I always take 6 gangers at the start so you it's likely you will always work territories, and so like to have a decent spread of weapons:

2 lasguns/hunting rifles
2 autoguns
2 shotguns

I'll have to think about the auto guns, as I said I need to take my bad rolls into consideration when making lists (yes really). the 4+ ammo roll doesn't sound that bad, but in my experience it is. You are however right about the extra 4".

A little revision to my startup roster. Right now it would cost 997,5 Credits.
I am also wondering if it would be worth it to take less people and start with a Ratskin scout?

Gang Leader 120
- Boltgun 35
- Weapon reload 17.5
- Sword 15

Heavy 60
- Heavy Stubber 120

Heavy 60
- Flamer 40
- Weapon Reload 20
- Autopistol 15

Ganger 50
- Lasgun 25

Ganger 50
- Lasgun 25

Ganger 50
- Lasgun 25

Ganger 50
- Shotgun 20
- Manstopper Shells 5

Ganger 50
- Shotgun 20
- Manstopper Shells 5

Juve 25
- Autopistol 15

Juve 25
- Autopistol 15

Juve 25
- Autopistol 15

Personally I'd swap the bolter on th leader for a plasma pistol (5 creds saving), drop the weapon reload to a auto pistol (2.5 creds saving), swap the flamers reload for an autogun for the heavy stubber, then swap one lasgun for an auto gun (5 creds saving) for variety, saving and the option for one of your gangers to be happy 12" away rather than all your gang needing to close to within 8".

This also then frees up a total of 15 creds to hire a ratskin scout...

The more extreme version would be to do all that, and drop a autopistol to a stubgun (5 creds more), both sets of shotgun ammo (10 creds) and another lasgun becomes an autogun (5 more), giving you 35, allowing you to hire an extra juve with stubgun to max out that income bracket. Then after the first game you buy the shotgun ammos back and a combat weapon for a juve, then after the 2nd game you hire a ratskin scout, for chance to give you a territory, with a hunting rifle to give you an extra ranged shot, and push you up another man for the bottling threshold.

Just some ideas for thought... (I'd honestly lean towards just the first part, but depends if you want to horde it up or not)

A leader can take a special weapon.
You might think about that.

Shotgun(s) are up to you.
You have juves Great!
Variety is the spice of live.
Only lasguns is a bit expensive.
Consider mixing. Lasgun(s) Autogun(s), Shotgun(s)< Maybe a hunting rifle.
Maybe give the flamer ganger an Autogun?
Giving the gangleader a Shotgun With boltshells is my recommendation.
You have Scatter Solid and Botlshells.
So you have a BS4 Leader that doesn't care that much for the -1 From the Long range.

That's my thoughts

Reactions: spafe
I am using the original models, so am a bit limited inn the weapon choices. That's why the leader has got a boltgun.
Using the autoguns I have as lasguns just to keep it a little easier in game (they do look quite alike, and I already have enough trouble keeping the models apart). I also need the 2+ ammoroll cause my luck just aint that good.

I didn't realize the Ratskin Scout was that cheap so I might re-arange some stuff again to try and fit him in.

Reactions: draakeragon
I'd definitely endorse @spafes suggestion about dropping the leaders bolter for some pistols. If you intend to use him in hand to hand, and I suspect that is the case seeing as he has a chainsword, then the bolter will prevent him from gaining an extra dice in hand to hand combat. Boaters are incredibly unreliable anyway, so even with the reload if it eventually runs out of ammo then you are stuck with a turkey that still prevents the extra dice. The plasma pistol gives you a nice wounding ability in h2h with its comparatively high S, and the auto pistol has a +2 to hit modifier at close range so is handy at pinning people while you move your leader around (his Ws of 4 plus the range modifier mean he'll almost always be hitting on a 3+ no matter how much cover the enemy is in).

Reactions: spafe
Well I use a bolter in many games but the risk is the ammoroll at the expense of giving a basic armed ganger a STR4 shot.
Many gangers hate getting shot by a str 4 weapon.
Don't equip everyone with bolters. but you should concider one.
Also for your leader. He has BS4 and WS4. If you arm him with a pistol you waste his perfect BS4.(My opinion)
If you give him a plasmarifle/grenadelauncher/Special weapon you make good use of his ability to take a special weapon.
(Flamers are a waste of BS4)

I basically gave him the Chainsword because the model has one. I now painted up the other Cawdor leader which has a sword (and looks way cooler), so I switched that in my second list. I see it more as safety if someone happens to get to close, but I intend to use him for shooting. I feel with my usual luck it's not a good idea to put my leader up front.
I do have some extra Heavies which I could use as a leader instead (Grenade Launcher one for instance), but I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go.

Cool. I'd point out that Cawdor excel at close range fighting rather than shooting (though the original models hardly promote it[emoji23]) and that a close combat Cawdor leader with a bunch of skills and stat increases is quite the handful. Quite the handful indeed. I had originally given my old Cawdor leader a bolt fun too but quickly dropped it as he was just so damned good at fighting. It took three rounds toe to toe with a spyrer matriarch to bring his reign of terror to an end. Never underestimate people's unwillingness to enter hand to hand combat with a hard bastard. They can be as effective as a heavy stubber for area denial [emoji12]

ok good to know, but then that will be due to skills later in the game? I'm pretty sure that except for equipment possibilities all Leaders are the same when you start a new warband?

I personally find hand to hand far to unreliable to want to risk it. I've mentioned before I've had real combat munchkins get taken out by jives because of dice rolls (bad for me, good for my opponent) so id make use of his BS to shoot.

Also if you want str 4 weapons go for a shotgun with Manstopper.

That's what I am afraid of as well, a bad dice roll and your Leader might be out of action (not to mention what a bad dice roll after that can do).
I think I will be sticking with the boltgun model wise, unless I find a way to make a regular ganger stick out as the Leader (Just moved and no 40k player so not much to convert with).