Necromunda From Hoard To Hive (WIP Terrain)

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I guess after annoying everyone on their threads, it's about time to post one of my own. The timing for this may be a bit off, as my Yakwife and I are expecting our latest addition any day now. But like a few others have said, this is mostly to help keep me active in the hobby, and on track with projects. Mostly it will be about me taking the "hoard that's dominating the house" (sniffle.. such hurtful words :cry:) and actually turning it into something. Like I've been saying I would for years (but honey, i can use this! look at the cool shape!).

So the first thing I'm going with is something I half-started for the Yak 20 competition. A settlement. Made from baby gate packaging.
This was as far as I got with this for Yak 20. I decided to do a raised lab instead, but didn't get far with that either. This is the top floor, so there's a raised area on the roof to hide behind.
View media item 5433A rough idea of what the levels are going to be.
Added some detailing to the bottom level (the base is a Sauder Woodworking cabinet door from something).
Added panels to the second floor.
Details to the third floor. This is a shop of some type. the tile bits will be a "menu board".
The other side of the third floor. The recessed alcove is a good place for a squatter to call home, I guess.
Finishing up the top levels.
And I've hit a snag. The flooring is a nice and sturdy (i mistakenly thought) corrugated cardboard. I'm not sure this kind of warping would be typical in the underhive... decisions, decisions...

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
@Azzabat oh! i think the local toy store (model RR and RC cars) has that kind of stuff. glue it down, flip it over and weight the floor so it flattens out and sticks to the strips?

And thanks guys. She’s due the 12th, but looks like she’s running about 2 weeks ahead of schedule (according to various ultrasounds), so i could be meeting her any day now.

Doghead13

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 28, 2014
Forres, Scotland
Aye, cardboard warps like nobody's business the moment you stop keeping an eye on it! You should be able to pull it back a bit with something like as Azzabat suggests wood strips, or something like those nailgun nails that come in a flat cojoined strip fixed together like staples - pop one off at a time with an old craft knife blade (Don't use the good blade, it'll do for it in like 2.5 seconds) then push them into the corrugated between the top and bottom sheets from the edge.

You can also get hold of very small bolts - like about the diameter of a plassy lasgun barrel small - basically machine screws with matching nuts and washers - from a craft shop (at least, the craft shop just up the road from me stocks these) and literally bolt the blasted thing down to the support brackets and/or stripwood. If that little lot doesn't hold it, nothing will.

Kiblams

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Looking great so far! I really like the unevenness of it all, something that I hope to add in time to my project.

For the warping I have always found that layering can work, though not sure if that's only with styrene because of the bond I can achieve with it. Otherwise I try to brace this wherever possible, the stuff might bend, but it's very unlikely to stretch

I've got a 3mo at home so will wish you luck!

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Just make sure you use Pine Strips and not Balsawood. Pine Strips are actual timber, exactly the same stuff as used for house building, just a lot smaller. Balsawood is much less rigid and will flex a lot.

(Useless fact ... Balsawood is actually a Hardwood, despite being one of the softest woods around.)

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Also I find balsa wood sticks come unstuck fairly easily, the surface just comes away.

Another alternative is ABS plastic rods - I buy in bulk via China and EBay. I’ll see if I can dig out a link.

Reactions: Punktaku

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
267D11D5-B267-4A66-8CE7-6052FF0F9E4D.jpeg

This must be at least 10 years old now, the floors made of .5mm plasticard and the beams are a mixture of balsa wood and plasticard rods.

I struggled with keeping it all flat but the rods and combination of cities of death low walls and Plasticard walls seems to have kept it together.

I think the tubes some form of plumbing for a toilet.

4CD7A91D-56B1-4756-827A-376216117853.jpeg

EF99F395-2E69-495C-B28F-83D8BF9B91E6.jpeg

D348F743-0001-4AB9-B8A0-AB6E8AE34A34.jpeg

I’ve been meaning to go back and fill the top with clear resin for a long time...

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Looks like a 6” soil pipe @ClockworkOrange. Nice work.

You’ll probably find timber will adhere better to the cardboard as they are both wood based products.

This is the stuff I was talking about.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOLLHOUSE-MINIATURES-1-12-SCALE-12-PC-1-8-x-3-4-PINE-STRIPWOOD-MOLDING-HW7515/162766767671?hash=item25e5a7c637:g:18AAAOSwytJaE9az

In the UK we have a company called Hobbies that do 1/32” (up to 1/2”) pine strip wood. You get packs containing 72’ of stripwood for about 8 Bucks. As I say ... lasts forever. I’m sure Michaels or Hobby Lobby will do them over your side of the pond.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
the sad thing about that card flooring is that with the corrugated part, i figured it would hold better than my original Necromunda sets... none of those have warped at all. guess that could also be the bulkheads keeping them “level”....

Reactions: Aulenback

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Corragated cardboard is usually made of 3 layers, 2 outside and 1 inner. When the outside gets wet it expands but the inner layer stays the same causing the card to curl up (like a bi-metallic strip). It’s the same with plywood or any other laminates.

You can often ‘correct’ the curl by applying moisture to the opposite side then laying it flat under a weight.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
ah... and the old necromunda buildings were single layer... gotcha. i really don’t know why i was surprised. i’ve made bases out of corrugated cardboard, but always made sure to use two pieces, turned so they’re crossing each other instead of going the same way. years later i still haven’t seen any warping...

Reactions: Azzabat

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
So i got some time and thought i had the perfect fix for my flooring issue: more cardboard, with the corrugation crossing to make it sturdier (less likely to warp). i’ve made bases like this dozens of times (fill in the edges with wood filler, file smooth when dry. cake.) and figured it would fix this.

i decided to pursue this route because it’s cheaper than buying, well, anything. just using what i have already or can get for free. i have decades old plastistruct i can use to hide the edges instead of filling them with wood filler, or it might look ok as “exposed infrastructure.” let’s see what happens.

Failure part two! the second piece of cardboard warped during the cutting process. but maybe, just maybe, i can use enough weight to join them together and dewarpify (yeah, it’s a real word. just made it up right now) the two sheets.

i’m surrounded by hollow plastic children’s toys... nothing in this room has any real weight, forget about pressing two warped pieces of cardboard together to flatten them out...

i’m thinking this project might have to die. the core pieces are expanded polystyrene and ripping the floors off would probably rip off large chunks. at the very least a postponement until i can find some suitable flooring material. i think it’s been too long since i did any serious building, so i’ll need to visit my storage area and check on my pieces. see if any have survived and maybe i can figure out how i made them...

edit: fixed pic

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
and i’m way over my photo limit... like 4x the max.

edit: added link then removed it. wrong one.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
i hate going into Wally World with a firey passion, but i had to so i peeked in their craft section and found this possible fix. A wooden, glass-free (yup, it’s hollow) picture frame. For $0.97 each. i picked up three, so if it doesn’t work for the settlement, i can make something else out of them. the frame sticks out nicely on two sides (room to place minis) but not on the other two. i’m hoping that by lining it up on one side, the opposite will stick out far enough to either hold a model or act as a ledge for a plasticard area (no more cardboard without support!).