Drag to reposition cover

From Painting to Precipice: my personal BSF quest

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Good Day,
This is my personal hibby journey to get Blackstone Fortress from my painting table to the gaming table. I'll be using this to document my adventure along the way as ow as it might take.
Looking forward to fellow hobbyists comments and suggestions along the way. There are so many discouraging factors to this hobby the biggest of which is lacknof time, it will be nice to be encouraged, challenged and for lack of a better word pushed by fellow hobbyists to see this thru.
Ive started the build process at night after work, after the troglodyte and my wife are both asleep. Working by a small LED shop light at the moment I tend to try to sneak in a few hours a week.

View media item 33195
View media item 33194

Really looking forward to painting the traitor guard. I could easily see myself with a nice little army of these guys as well.

Thanks for stopping by and hope you stick around for the ride.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The first round has finished, but this could be an early start for the second (fall) round:

Reactions: Space Truckin

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
View media item 33222
View media item 33223

Quick update. Thru with building all baddies at nap time today. Started working on the explorers.
Mold lines on these guys are pretty bad. Havent seen lines likentheae since those old SM close combat scouts.

Hoping to everything built and primed for July FYSC. Keep on truckin.

Last edited:

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Finished the heros at nap time yesterday.
Hoping to lay down some primer with the air brush next weekend. Should leave me all set for the PYS challenge in July.

View media item 33431

Anyone know of a good alternative to liquid green stuff?
Ive heard of people taking bits of sprue and melting it in tamaya glue, just not sure how to do it without recking my favorite glue.

These snap fits are pretty crappy especially Vorne and most of the robes. I even cut off the snap fit pegs and glued everything and still have gaps.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
These snap fits are pretty crappy especially Vorne and most of the robes. I even cut off the snap fit pegs and glued everything and still have gaps.
Mine worked well on the whole, once I snipped the very tips off the various pegs. Slowly plugging through painting explorers now, but am only assembling as I am ready to paint them. I also used 25mm bases on a few of them instead of the 32mm, so that they will better be able to blend in with other models for other GW games [Necromunda, GorkaMorka, etc]. Not for all of them, and not for any of the 'hostiles,' mind. I have so far used a black undercoat for all the heroes except UR-025. His was white, because I went for an "Atomic-Punk refrigerator" look for him.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Clean white enamel and rounded edges and chrome. Though in this case also a bit of dirt, though not much, and some recent welding burn around the aquila....

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Yeah, that seemed to be the look GW were going for with the studio paint job [though they did theirs in a in a '50s "mint blue" with red accents, and I went for the white, to match that specific art deco fridge artifact]. No room left for uploads, and cannot access Facebook links from here at work, so can't share an actual image of said giant mechanical abominable intelligence at the moment. Plus, this isn't a thread of or about MY painting.

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
This is really great detailed information and pics of the models. There's a lot of hype about the BSF minis and game, so to see your observations as you work along is of great help.