N18 Fun gang

jiffmann409

Oct 14, 2020
Hi folks.

Let me know what you think - I'm looking for a list that will be fun to play but more importantly be fun to play Against. In spite of all the templates, these guys are still highly vulnerable to any ranged game in particular, so I'm hoping it would be a fun list for all involved.

My main worry is that all those templates just wouldn't be much fun to go against.

Path of the Redeemer because... well... fire and chainsaws.

Redemptor Priest
(Bull Charge)
Master Crafted Chainaxe with Exterminator
Stub Gun
Mesh Armour

2 x Deacon
(1 Scavenger's Eye & 1 Step Aside)
Grenade Launcher with Smoke grenades
Stub Gun
Mesh Armour

4 x Brethren
Blunderpole
Mesh Armour

2 x Bonepicker
Reclaimed Autopistol

The other 3 gangs will be Van Saar, Delaque, and Escher.

Also, I know that a lot of folks don't agree with duplicate loadouts but I always imagine a Brethren being told "Welcome to Cawdor! Here's your Polearm. Pick a rifle or shotgun-flamethrower to glue on the end" at which point there's only one sensible answer for someone like me.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
So, I think the fun of this gang would be dictated by the board, smaller, zone mortalis boards and this gang won't be fun to play against, as losing control of your gang to blaze rules isn't fun

In a bigger sector mortalis board with either not enough terrain, or a lot of vertical terrain and I can see you finding the lack of range support frustrating.

I think you know the criticisms already, spam lists aren't fun, and you kinda shoot your own argument about wanting to make a list fun by making an in-lore rationale for why your gang would be armed only with the most optimal meta builds.

Mix things up, bomb rats are fun, heavy crossbows are fun, having a couple of mooks with cheap autoguns hanging back giving fire support is helpful in bigger maps. Don't just build lists off the rating system goonhammer gives to weapons.

jiffmann409

Oct 14, 2020
Oops, I should have stated - we have a bunch of Battlezone Mechanicus terrain stuff so it's almost solely going to be Sector Mortalis games, probably favoring a long range play style.

I see your point about spam lists though. It's not for being optimal, but I just love the idea of religious zealots setting fire to everything and then hitting it with a flaming chainsaw.

My issue is that I like the normal Brethren more than the Redemptionists mainly for the Law Abiding and Devout Masses rule but they have such limited access to Fire, which is the whole theme I was aiming for.

Anyway, I dropped the 'nade launcher from one Deacon and replaced it with a Shotgun + Exterminator and Inferno Ammo to mix it up a bit. I really don't know what to do about the Brethren though - I can swap out a Brethren for a Redemptionist with Chainaxe (and Exterminator, of course) but any more and I'm Outlaw :(

jiffmann409

Oct 14, 2020
Okay, so less spammy and still in theme adjustments. I know that a ranged gang is going to have little trouble with this crew on our terrain.

Redemptor Priest (Blazing Faith)
Master Crafted Chainaxe + Exterminator
Stub Gun
Mesh Armor

Deacon (Lord of Rats)
Shotgun + Exterminator + Inferno Ammo
Mesh Armor

Deacon (Scavenger's Eye)
Grenade Launcher + Smoke Grenades
Mesh Armour

Redemptionist Brethren
Chainaxe + Exterminator
Mesh Armour

Brethren
Blunderpole
Mesh Armour

Brethren
Flamer (Crivens that's expensive... I simply can't think of another thematic option without going Outlaw though!)
Mesh Armour

3 x Bonepicker
Stub Gun

mateyboy3000

Gang Champion
May 29, 2017
Have you considered using the gang builder instead of typing the list out every time? You can simply link the gang and people can look at it that way

Reactions: ViolentN3on

jiffmann409

Oct 14, 2020
Honestly it's a copy and paste from Notepad, where I always make army lists because... er... I like to punish myself, I guess.

Sorry, I'll use the army builder and stop taking up so much room.

mateyboy3000

Gang Champion
May 29, 2017
It's less about taking up room (the gang builder would have it as more to read through) and making it easier for you, it will auto cost the list and be easier to change it

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
This reminds me of an intervention. You worry that 6 flamer templates is "not fun." But, you prefer Brethren to Redemptionist for theme, and of course, fire. But, you may drop a Grenade Launcher for a shotgun with blaze ammo. Or, maybe a Brethren (flame template) for an Exterminator (another flame template). You're gonna have to face it, you're addicted to fire (Huey Lewis reference for you young'uns).

My personal Cawdor flame template limit is five. Yes, I'm a saint. But, I admit I'm spamming the cheapest flamers in the game. Pretty much the most cost effective weapons in the game. Fun? So much fun watching opponent's run around with their hair literally on fire. You don't have to make excuses. What else do Cawdor have? Reclaimed autoguns and Faith?

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
What else do Cawdor have? Reclaimed autoguns and Faith?
I mean, Faith is really strong, but they also have Unwashed masses, Heavy Crossbows and Bomb rats.

Lots of fun to have with Cawdor, and yes blunderpoles and template spam is fun, for the Cawdor player, it rapidly becomes not fun for the opponent, particularly if they're running a melee list that is flat out hard countered by Blaze

Reactions: spafe

daveh

Ganger
Jan 16, 2022
as a cawdor player im starting to wonder what im doing wrong.of all the games ive played , Faith has only worked for me once (and rebounded on me once when it went bad).
my heavy crossbows are lucky to get off 2 shots in a game as they cannot fire unless stationary (we only play skirmish , so no i cant get a suspensor rig), and unwashed masses is worthless for the same reason.
sorry for the rant , praise the emprah and pass the candles

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
as a cawdor player im starting to wonder what im doing wrong.of all the games ive played , Faith has only worked for me once (and rebounded on me once when it went bad).
my heavy crossbows are lucky to get off 2 shots in a game as they cannot fire unless stationary (we only play skirmish , so no i cant get a suspensor rig), and unwashed masses is worthless for the same reason.
sorry for the rant , praise the emprah and pass the candles
In solo play, yes crossbows are either terrible or game changing, they do need the reliability of suspensors - either that or you could house rule that the Bulging Biceps skill lets you treat firing an unwieldy weapon as a basic action, which opens up heavy weapons for every gang in skirmish scenarios.

Unwashed masses should still matter if your playing skirmish games with limited gang selection, its less so if your just building a gang and fielding everyone.

mateyboy3000

Gang Champion
May 29, 2017
In solo play, yes crossbows are either terrible or game changing, they do need the reliability of suspensors - either that or you could house rule that the Bulging Biceps skill lets you treat firing an unwieldy weapon as a basic action, which opens up heavy weapons for every gang in skirmish scenarios.

Unwashed masses should still matter if your playing skirmish games with limited gang selection, its less so if your just building a gang and fielding everyone.
You should be fielding everyone in skirmish, the point is a balanced skirmish and its not very balanced if you play a custom 6 mission with 6 tooled up van saar against an Outcast gang that brought 10 bodies and limiting bodies will incentivise building elite gangs that can be fielded in full in any scenario

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
I mean, Faith is really strong, but they also have Unwashed masses, Heavy Crossbows and Bomb rats.

Lots of fun to have with Cawdor, and yes blunderpoles and template spam is fun, for the Cawdor player, it rapidly becomes not fun for the opponent, particularly if they're running a melee list that is flat out hard countered by Blaze
So, no B-poles and just get gunned down or beatdown? Some fun. Have a little Faith, Man!

daveh

Ganger
Jan 16, 2022
candles and flack are a tough sell against laz cannons and plasma from van saar.
we need them b poles!🕯️

Dkay1981

Ganger
Dec 15, 2019
Airdrie
I think with the gangs you have in your group a few extra blinderpoles is not to much more of a threat on a mainly sector mechanicus board Vansaar, esher and delaque all that their tricks to deal with templates.
If your group had more mid to close range gangs then I’d say tone then down a bit 🤷‍♂️.