Games Workshop or Warhammer?

You want to buy exclusive citadel miniatures, where do you go?....

• Total voters

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
These damn kids today. In my day you'd just go into debt buying more and more models you'd never paint or play with...we weren't quitters!
It’s the modern churn&burn man. One they’ve had a few birthdays and Christmases out of them they’re done.

They’ve not got much in the line of blisterpacks to tempt people into multiple regular cheapish spends anymore.

Remember when you used to have to craft a squad out of blisterpacks of 2-4 figures a time!?! These kids don’t know how good they’ve got it!

*more grognard grumblings*

Get off my sumpgrass!! No you can’t have your ball back! It’s your fault for standing so close to the Cybermastiff anyway. I told you he bites.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Heck, as noted in my post above, even the poll question in this poll is already out of date.

You can't buy Citadel miniatures from GW anymore it appears, anymore than you can buy Marauder minis from them.

Citadel is a paint line, painting tools, and basing tools.

And one box of skulls. A lot of skulls, mind, but still a box of skulls.

For basing, presumably.

"Kids these days." Heh.

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
Heck, as noted in my post above, even the poll question in this poll is already out of date.

You can't buy Citadel miniatures from GW anymore it appears, anymore than you can buy Marauder minis from them.

For basing, presumably.

"Kids these days." Heh.

In the T&Cs of the current 40k app competition they do use the term "Citadel miniatures", mostly as a way to distinguish from forgeworld products it seems. Since they continue to keep separate websites for the two ranges, I guess they haven't seen the need to mention Citadel in any of the model descriptions.

Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
Do you play Games Workshop or do you shop at Wahammer?

A chance to have your say without clogging up the New minis incoming thread!

personally, I almost always say games workshop, occasionally geedubz, ....but... when talking to non hobbyists (my greatest source of new miniaturage) I find myself always calling anything to do with the hobby Warhammers! E.g. I’m going to the Warhammer shop, we were playing the Warhammer game, please don’t snap my Warhammer toys I promise to do the dishes, etc.
if I were to say ” Iv been to games workshop to play Necromunda “ I’d either be met with a clueless look or a “you’ve been playing toys with your friends?” Which at 36, doesnt make you feel to great. But somehow Warhammer completely computes with the normies!?!

is it just me? Maybe @almic85? Maybe @MusingWarboss?
Warhammers sounds like something you'd hear in Scandinavia and IIRC, is what wargaming is called in Finland, regardless of whether it's fantasy, sci-fi or historical. At least it's not as awkward as saying to the missus: "I'm off to play Kiss Me Hardy with the mates!"

I always said going to Games Workshop, to differentiate from other branded hobby purchases at the Virgin Megastores, and mentioned playing WFB to avoid confusion with 40k.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Coenus Scaldingus

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 29, 2018
Finland
Lol Ive been married to Mrs Troll now for 11 years and we’ve known each other for 20+, I don’t think I even admitted to liking G Dubs until about 2009......
Now that's a very interesting timeline if my calculations are correct. Either you finally admitted to it shortly after taking your vows (you sly Troll), or the confession was rapidly followed by a wedding (Warhammer, an aphrodisiac?! This changes everything we thought we knew...). 🤔

For basing, presumably.

"Kids these days." Heh.
Just looking around the desktop my Warcry Sphiranx still has the "Citadel Miniatures" logo on the back, the Necromunda Escher zombieladies/non-juves manual states "Citadel" at the bottom, and some pretty recent sets even have the text prominently on the front - mainly Start Collecting sets, although the Combat Patrol boxes just state "X miniatures" on the front...
99120201090_CypherLordsBox.jpg

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
I really hope I’ve started a trend on phonetically spelling GW and it’s variants. I think they should rebrand to it! We just need consistency on spelling!
Gee Dubya.
Or games workshop. Or in my youth amongst fellow gamers simply the shop.

- saying that given how they pitch themselves they should have rebranded as Citadel Miniatures circa 1990 when Kirby took over
I believe there were plans to rebrand it all as citadel. However as a more cosmetic change as opposed to the more brand visibility of the modern rebrand. It was seen as a waste of money in the end.
Or so the story goes.

To me Warhammer means fantasy battle. Often referred to fantasy for short.
40k is 40k.
And I try not to speak about the other one.

Back when the sign said games workshop and a number of solar cycles past.
I do remeber a lot of people coming into the store to try and flog old playstation games etc. Even having to ask staff if they were sure they didn't buy and sell computer games once or twice before they got the message.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I call the store Jee Doubleyou. The games? Warhammer, 40K, Necromunda [yes, that's also for Shadow War], Mordheim, GorkaMorka, Blood Bowl and Blitz Bowl, Doubleyou Eff Arr Pee.

Talking to non-GW-geeks? "Toy Soldiers." Occasionally "miniatures" games.

Side note - Does GW even MAKE Citadel miniatures anymore? Or are they gone the way of Marauder, and it's just Games Workshop miniatures now, I think? Isn't Citadel now just one paint line from GW?

Edit: Nope. It isn't just one of the paint lines.

It is also painting supples, bases, and a box of skulls.

Just as a bit of a history lesson GW sold Citadel Miniatures that were used to play Warhammer games.

Citadel Miniatures used to be a seperate company that were the exclusive producer of all Warhammer branded products that were sold at Games Workshop stores.

It should be noted that Games Workshop stores did not always exclusively sell only Warhammer branded games but also used to actually sell third party games as well. That is up until they created Warhammer Fantasy in 1983 and their focus shifted from selling all games to focussing on their Warhammer brand.

Over the years the three brands have all become intertwined with Games Workshop buying out Citadel Miniatures in full to continue to produce their Warhammer ranges for sale in their Games Workshop stores.

Anyway that is a bit of a long history lesson but it leads into why they are rebranding their stores from Games Workshop to Warhammer given that they have moved away from selling anything that is not a Warhammer branded product (except for LOTR of course) a long time ago.

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
It’s the modern churn&burn man. One they’ve had a few birthdays and Christmases out of them they’re done.

They’ve not got much in the line of blisterpacks to tempt people into multiple regular cheapish spends anymore.

Remember when you used to have to craft a squad out of blisterpacks of 2-4 figures a time!?! These kids don’t know how good they’ve got it!

*more grognard grumblings*

Get off my sumpgrass!! No you can’t have your ball back! It’s your fault for standing so close to the Cybermastiff anyway. I told you he bites.

That was always great. Saving up your paper round money. Walking home from school instead of catching the bus. All to get those 4 or 5 blister packs to make a unit of Savage Orcs. Happy days.

Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
It was actually the other way round with Citadel acquiring Games Workshop.
I was going to mention it too...

About us - Wargames Foundry

The Mighty Avenger: An interview with Bryan Ansell

We had reached a point where Citadel had become quite successful in the context of the (very much smaller then) toy soldier "industry". It seemed like the right time to bring in people who could get us moving forward with more interesting toy soldiers. The more interesting toy soldiers could then lead to us building our own fantasy gaming system, which could be a tabletop rival to Dungeons & Dragons. The only people that I knew who seemed at all likely to be up this task were Rick Priestley and Richard Halliwell (Lincoln), Tony Ackland (Stoke-on-Trent) and John Blanche (Nottingham). I had known them all during my time at Asgard. They all joined up. We were all amazed when John agreed to come along: what with him being a proper artist and everything.

We were supposed to be a sister company to Games Workshop (who were still publishing Dungeons & Dragons back then). But there was a degree of friction and discord between the two companies. I was told that the London end were jealous of the amount of money that our packers and casters were earning on piecework. Other than in the Hammersmith Games Workshop shop (run by the big, amiable, pro-Citadel American Tim Olson) none of the Workshop shops sold our models in any quantity (I believe that Tim still has a full set of all those big, haphazard, incomplete, mono coloured flyers (illustrated by Tony and John) that we did to announce the arrival of new models back then).

Games Workshop shops kept our models unpackaged as loose castings, either on or behind their counter, in sets of tiny plastic drawers. This did not encourage purchase. The GW shops sold very few toy soldiers.We supplied independent shops with those wire racks that we used to have. They had hooks that carded bags containing our models dangled down from. Later we went over to blister packs. The same blister packs that Foundry use now. The independent shops cheerfully sold plenty of our toy soldiers.

In the end, a party of Citadel staff went into the Sheffield Games Workshop, took away the awful tiny plastic drawers and hung our racks of wire hooks and dangling toy soldiers up on their walls.

Sheffield started selling loads more Citadel: I think the sales went up by a factor of six or seven on the next Saturday. Then the other Games Workshop shops were supplied with racks and dangling toy soldiers too. This brought in useful amounts of cash to go towards our new projects. However, we upped our wage bill by about 50% when we employed our first team of creatives. Money was tight for a while and succeeding with the new models and the game had become a matter of sh*t or bust.

Return of the Mighty Avenger: A second interview with Bryan Ansell

RoC80s: For many, many years one of the more infamous things associated with your tenure in charge was the 'SOD OFF BRYAN ANSELL' in White Dwarf issue 77. Care to share your side of the story?

BA: When I took over running games workshop all those years ago, the first priority was to close down the London office. All they did was publish White Dwarf, distribute imported American products and complain that Warhammer was puerile. We had taken over all other publishing duties at Citadel some time earlier. Space was expensive in London and Games Workshop was extraordinarily overstaffed. However, things were moving along nicely in Eastwood and at the Nottingham Studio and we felt that we would be able to find useful work in Nottinghamshire for any or all of the London staff who wanted to move.

In the event: ten or so of the London staff came to us.

The White Dwarf staff didn’t move up. This wasn’t entirely a surprise, as they had savagely resisted our attempts to put Warhammer material into WD. Despite the quite obvious fact that the only thing keeping Games Workshop rolling was our awful fantasy battle game. I suppose that “sod off ” is the sophisticated London gamers equivalent of “thanks very much for the offer: but we’re going to have to pass this time.”

Unfortunately, we did have to fire a number of the ex-London staff for stealing not long after they joined us. Mac Coxhead was in charge of one half of the factory shop floor at the time, and would randomly check departing staff for hidden lead with his metal detector. However, we did gain the services of Jervis Johnson and Lindsey to de la Doux Paton: both of whom were to contribute greatly to Games Workshop’s future.

Lindsey is now married to Rick Priestley of course.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
It was actually the other way round with Citadel acquiring Games Workshop.

Interesting articles and it’s nice to read interviews with Bryan Ansell and see what he says about the two companies interactions.

I think you might find though that Games Workshop has always been the parent company of Citadel Miniatures and funded the creation of the miniature making company.

What did end up happening was that Bryan Ansell and Tom Kirby bought out the two remaining original owners of Games Workshop and then focussed GW on selling Citadel Miniatures instead of any other system. That isn’t a bad thing as it doubled down on the success of Citadel Miniatures and turned the games store into the wargaming behemoth it is today.

It’s mostly semantics but the part owner of a subsidiary company buying out the parent company isn’t quite the same thing as the child company buying out the parent company.

Reactions: Stoof and Aulenback

Fold

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
Interesting interviews. I couldn’t help noting the price of a sprue of RTB01 marines advertised in one of the WD pages of the age: 60p per sprue in 1987. About £1.45 per sprue in today’s money. Take that, inflation!

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
I'm mostly either talking about "GW", "Games Workshop", or specifically about "Necromunda". Sometimes also "Citadel" when it comes to colors. I never use "Warhammer" only at all. There is only one small independent dealer on site. I refer to it colloquially simply as the "game dealer" or by his name.