Gdolkin's Hive and Gangs

Gdolkin

Gang Hero
Jun 25, 2017
Nottingham
@Punktaku OSL recipe:
Blue: Paint light source Thousand Sons Blue. Drybrush on and around light source in a roughly circular motion in both directions with Ahriman Blue, Temple Guard Blue, Baharroth Blue, Skull white, then glaze on and around with 50/50 Guilliman Blue/Lahmian Medium. Don't worry too much about strict physical laws about light travelling in straight lines ;)
Red: Light source Khorne red, layer light source then drybrush on and around with Wazdakka red, then same with Wild Rider red, layer highlight light source further with Troll Slayer, Fire Dragon, finally Lugganath Orange, then glaze with bloodletter.
Green: Light source Sybarite green, drybrush around Sybarite green, light source Gauss Blaster green, drybrush around Gauss Blaster green, glaze all with Waywatcher green.

Last edited:

Sobek

Ganger
Jul 22, 2018
Germany
I second all this appreciation going on here. Love all this rusty gritty grim-darkness of the Underhive combined with some spot colours to add visual interest. Looking forward to seeing moar!

Gdolkin

Gang Hero
Jun 25, 2017
Nottingham
I second all this appreciation going on here. Love all this rusty gritty grim-darkness of the Underhive combined with some spot colours to add visual interest. Looking forward to seeing moar!
Cheers Sobek, that rusty grime with cyberpunk neon lights was what I'm going for :) And oh dear me yes there shall be MOAR, and may I say your artwork tribute Escher are turning out damn fantastic buddeh :)

D6damage

Ganger
Oct 5, 2015
Cardiff, UK
By jingo, everything here is just AWESOME. I absolutely love this scenery. I love the fact that you've gone more in the direction of "giant display diorama" than practical playing surface. It's a shame that most of us have to compromise on the claustrophobic cluttered feel of the hive to keep things practical - it takes a mad genius like yourself to just go for it and build a massive, rusty tangle of underhive goodness. Bravo.

Gdolkin

Gang Hero
Jun 25, 2017
Nottingham
By jingo, everything here is just AWESOME. I absolutely love this scenery. I love the fact that you've gone more in the direction of "giant display diorama" than practical playing surface. It's a shame that most of us have to compromise on the claustrophobic cluttered feel of the hive to keep things practical - it takes a mad genius like yourself to just go for it and build a massive, rusty tangle of underhive goodness. Bravo.
Ta very much for your kind assessment dude :) I would have you know that it's just as much a functioning modular gameboard as a display diorama mind you ;) I may or may not be a mad genius, but as I am lucky enough to have the space and means and circumstances to embark on this madness I feel it is my solemn duty to go as all-out as I can with it, as a long-term project it really suits my current way of life.. So, thanks again, glad my hobby joy can bring a little of the same to all you guys :)
Also I suggest you check out the work of DoublePAY and Wanderer for starters on this site if you like anarchic, characterful necro terrain

D6damage

Ganger
Oct 5, 2015
Cardiff, UK
I would have you know that it's just as much a functioning modular gameboard as a display diorama mind you ;)
<Hangs head in shame> Forgive me, I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't a playable gameboard. It looks like a BRILLIANT gameboard to play on - so many intricate hiding places!

...as I am lucky enough to have the space and means and circumstances to embark on this madness I feel it is my solemn duty to go as all-out as I can with it, ...
And the Omnissiah bless you for it, sir.

Gdolkin

Gang Hero
Jun 25, 2017
Nottingham
No head-hanging or forgiving is called for, just thought ya might have missed that it's both gameboard and diorama ;) To be fair, I've done a good bit more work and photo-taking that I haven't shared yet and even I have no idea how many workable ways all this is gonna fit together yet, so how could you guys be expected to eh? There is one kinda definitive diorama-configuration emerging but the more elements I make the more possibilities open up :D